Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How accurate are the seating maps?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2015, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

How accurate are the seating maps?

This will be my first time flying AA out of Philadelphia since the merger. I was booking my flights and I found something odd...

I booked two pairs of one way flights because I have enough miles for one ticket but not for both and I wanted my husband on my reservation, so this seemed to make more sense.

PHL > MCO flight showed a seating map for a 332 and I was shocked that such a huge plane would be going such a short distance. For this flight I paid with cash since it was the cheaper of the two.

MCO > PHL showed seating for a 757. I used Seat Guru to look at the plane and it showed a different arrangement of classes than the seating map I was looking at to choose my seats. It showed 6 rows of first class seats vs. 3. Since I was using miles for economy anytime, I was actually able to choose any economy class seat I wanted so I just went with the seat that was furthest up as possible (which according to seat guru was a first class seat).

Anyway, I am wondering if maybe the plane size will change last minute or if these seat maps are inaccurate. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: I miss US Airways
Originally Posted by artemis908
This will be my first time flying AA out of Philadelphia since the merger. I was booking my flights and I found something odd...

I booked two pairs of one way flights because I have enough miles for one ticket but not for both and I wanted my husband on my reservation, so this seemed to make more sense.

PHL > MCO flight showed a seating map for a 332 and I was shocked that such a huge plane would be going such a short distance. For this flight I paid with cash since it was the cheaper of the two.

MCO > PHL showed seating for a 757. I used Seat Guru to look at the plane and it showed a different arrangement of classes than the seating map I was looking at to choose my seats. It showed 6 rows of first class seats vs. 3. Since I was using miles for economy anytime, I was actually able to choose any economy class seat I wanted so I just went with the seat that was furthest up as possible (which according to seat guru was a first class seat).

Anyway, I am wondering if maybe the plane size will change last minute or if these seat maps are inaccurate. Any thoughts?
Both flights are on pmUS birds. pmUS 752s with three F rows could either be 'V2' or 'V3' for seatguru.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/US_..._757-200_B.php
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/US_..._757-200_D.php
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Hmm then I wonder if they are going to change the plane later because right now the AA website claims it's a Airbus Industrie A330-200
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by artemis908
Hmm then I wonder if they are going to change the plane later because right now the AA website claims it's a Airbus Industrie A330-200
I think what he's referring to is in your OP you mention that your return flight is listed as a B757-200. US has 2 version of this aircraft:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...er-thread.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...l#post15881502

I'd bet that the version you see is the 2nd (the European version), although stranger things have happened.

You said that your outbound flight is an A330-200. There's an existing thread here on that aircraft:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...er-thread.html

We also have a thread discussing using widebodies on domestic routes here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...o-flights.html

I personally would book seats on the A330-200 that would work in the event that your aircraft gets downguaged...so avoid the high lettered seats, stick with A-B, and same with the distance back in the aircraft.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I have done the PHL-MCO route several times with the A330-200 plane. They do fly this route in the November-March timeframe with the big planes because there is a LOT of demand to head there during this time. Usually when they do, they are full.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
I have done the PHL-MCO route several times with the A330-200 plane. They do fly this route in the November-March timeframe with the big planes because there is a LOT of demand to head there during this time. Usually when they do, they are full.
And it's off-peak for Europe so some of the 332's are free to do other high-demand routes such as PHL-MCO.

I wish that they would send them over to do PHX-HNL!
Old Aug 11, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Enjoy the 332 flight. Its a nice ride. Do be aware that when US is using an A330 domestically, boarding starts either 40 or 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure (as opposed to 30 for non widebody aircraft).

Your 757 flight is more than likely an "east" aircraft with 12 Envoy class seats that often will continue on to Europe after you land in PHL.

Easiest way to tell if its a V2 or V3 757 is to see if there are two full rows of coach behind first class and forward of the 2L door or one row on the left side and two rows on the right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.