US-AA FT forums [what's up?]

Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
US-AA FT forums [what's up?]

I tend to read posts in this forum only. Sometime I need to switch to the AA forum but when I go there, I find the number of posts overwhelming. When are you (meaning readers, not moderators) thinking of transitioning to the AA forum? Or maybe you have already begun to do so. Anyway, maybe I just have to bite the bullet and wean myself from here and go there. Thought?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
I actually can't figure out why some active posts are in the consolidated and some are in the pre-merger forums for AA. It seems like most of the posts would apply to the airline as a whole (hence the consolidated forum), especially now that there's really no "pre-merger" discussions unless we are talking about the past, but there are definitely active discussions about current/future travel and current/future booking..
Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
As a Moderator, I'll say we'll ALL be transitioning to the American Airlines | AAdvantage (Combined Airline and Program) forum, because the AApm and USpm fora will ultimately see pertinent threads moved to that forum and the pm fora closed. More and more is happening / under discussion in the Combined forum (precipitated by the March FFP etc. merger).

The stuff that pertains to each airline, "pre-merger" (really used because it's easier to use that phrase, though it's inaccurate) policies, etc. will remain, as they are now, in the pm fora; there's plenty of that, but not when we wake up October 17. The separation of fora remains precisely because upgrades and a number of other issues (IROPS, standing by, etc.) are still handled differently. And as we've seen, though legacy AA policy will be the default, there are changes being made to those (e.g. AA July 12 Same Day Flight Change and SDFC coming to international, so it's a somewhat different SDFC that will apply to all of us). When those issues become applicable to us all, they'll be in the "combo" forum.

Part of that user density is some of the reasoning behind the more extensive use of thread wikis, consolidated and master threads in particular. Otherwise, imo, it could get overwhelming and challenging to find anything due to information fragmentation. IMO, the incrementalism of the merger has made it easier for all of us to make the transition to "One system. One code." and "One Forum"; we get to prepare for change, and hopefully not get hit by falling debris a la US-CO.

And it's the reason all of us AA-US Mods will be sticking around, unforeseen circumstances notwithstanding. We'll do everything we can to make our new forum welcoming for everyone (and continue to intervene if anyone expresses hostility to one group of members or another). Most members will most likely continue being helpful and involved in providing useful info, tips and tricks.

Together, we'll row this bigger boat and bail water as necessary.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 23, 2015 at 2:17 pm Reason: build
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I had expected the pre-merger forums to close after 10/17. Is this not the case? Yes, there will still be some integration issues - labor contracts, etc. - but won't all customer-facing/FF items being integrated?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
I had expected the pre-merger forums to close after 10/17. Is this not the case? Yes, there will still be some integration issues - labor contracts, etc. - but won't all customer-facing/FF items being integrated?
Yes, all customer-facing issues should be integrated by that time.

The Moderation crew is discussing these very issues. 17 October might be a very good target date for the move. It's good we're thinking about these issues, IMO, and input from active members is valuable.

Alternatively, the legacy AA and US fora could be left open whilst the active and relevant threads are moved to the Combined forum, with whatever "unfinished business" we LAA and LUS folks might feel attract our continued participation.

Either way, I think further threads like the Combined stickies (Welcome, current merger issues, just the facts, etc.) and thread wiki construction in combination with thread curating will be part of it to make for a smoother transition.

apeortdz, I hope it doesn't appear I'm hijacking your thread here. I think we're all on the same page, and as I said, your input is helpful. Thank you for bringing the issue up.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I've been curious about the fact that there are different moderation styles in the two forums, pre-merger.

For example, it seems to me that the AA forum tends to have more threads merged ("mega-threads") while US lets new threads remain standalone. Also, the US forum maintains threads for their hub airports "A US Guide to CLT", while the AA forum usually moves airport threads to the destination forums.

Have the moderators decided yet how you will handle differences like these once there's a single forum?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by swag
I've been curious about the fact that there are different moderation styles in the two forums, pre-merger.

For example, it seems to me that the AA forum tends to have more threads merged ("mega-threads") while US lets new threads remain standalone. Also, the US forum maintains threads for their hub airports "A US Guide to CLT", while the AA forum usually moves airport threads to the destination forums.

Have the moderators decided yet how you will handle differences like these once there's a single forum?
The AA forum has many more users - posts - threads, so we've attempted to contain information and prevent information fragmentation, and make it easier by using wikis to distill and present core information. The Combined forum will be significantly larger, of course:

At this moment:
USpm: 10 members, 58 guests viewing
AApm: 11 members, 183 guests
AAUS Combined: 34 members, 79 guests
For airports, and we actually do have some airport threads, we try to keep the posts and threads airline related. As an example, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html. These threads are curated so older information remains accessible, but is archived off to prevent huge mega-threads with lots of obsolete or less useful information.

But more general posts like "what can I do with an eight hour layover at LAX" or "how can I get to In 'n' Out burger" or "what lounge can I use at TBIT with no status or class of service entitlement" will promptly be off to the destination forum. This is probably because AA has more diffused hubs (other than DFW).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

are other examples of threads with wikis that have useful information for getting about and connecting at AA hubs.

Information like Clubs is contained in other threads (in this instance, the LOUNGE DASHBOARD is easy to access the 84 threads dealing with Clubs, lounges at airports served by AA-US, Club membership, card access, etc. (BAEC is the busiest, largest airline forum here, and the "Dashboard" approach has been truly instrumental in making it easier to find information; I'm a fan, but don't have the skills to create the widgets and graphics. We're fortunate we could benefit from some graphical work done for us as a courtesy, but unless we can come up with one of our AA - US members with the skills and time, we'll have to continue with an organised but less graphical interface.)

IMO, where we can do better is in, say, putting together a guide post with links to information on security at various airports. For now, we'll have to discuss and decide if that's within the scope of a hub thread or separate, and if so, how.

We've been discussing how we'll attempt to handle the upcoming mixed fleet - "One system. One code." has a nice feel as a motto, but it's "One code. Pot loads of different planes and subfleets."

Soon enough, US hub threads will migrate to the Combined forum, and the resulting thread wikis will undoubtedly become more similar.for example, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...e-airport.html is different from the AA airport threads above, but presents some very well organised and useful information - I suspect we'll see some of this employed in all hub airport threads going forward.

IMO, the direction for airport threads is a "Dashboard" type approach (whether it uses graphical widgets or not, and it's likely not to because of resource constraints we discovered implementing the LOUNGE DASHBOARD) with a list of hubs / major airports linking to master threads that will be a lot like the US hub threads but with maps and links - an even more user-friendly hybrid developed by the moderator team from two different fora, cultures, etc. as we come together in this "shotgun marriage" (imposed on us, but we do work fairly well as a team - and some of us have worked together on other projects such as FT projects, tragedy threads, Moderator Peer Review, Moderator Training, etc.)

The perhaps lofty goal is essentially to take the best of both fora and have a new forum based on previous best practices and tools.

All of us have goals of making the transition and new "home" forum useful, helpful, friendly and welcoming, and user-friendly for "old hands" and newbs. (And we'll all be newbs in some respect, because AApm has significantly changed some policies, and USpm members are being forced to transition to those policies - and we know the only constant is change).

If it sounds like the combined seven moderators should be able to easily handle this, in fact we're all uncompensated volunteers spread out from U.K. to throughout the U.S. with work, other volunteer and community involvements, families (new children, you name it), and of course we love to travel. We have different styles, language backgrounds (even with English - as I took my car today for some work at the local "Collision Center" I thought of the more traditional U.K. - RSA etc. "Panel Beater" ).

It has been made easier, IMO, because the many members affected have largely remained mature, understanding and positive (with the occasional rant or partisan display by a few who momentarily felt the past was much better than it perhaps really was) throughout this imposed change we have little input considered and no control over. The overall tone and effect has been outstanding, IMO and IME (part of my work was facilitating and working with employees affected by mergers or other significant changes).

I won't and don't pretend to speak for others here, but that has kept me involved and willing to put some time and effort into this. As a 60+ year AA flyer and onetime HP flyer, it's also interesting to me. Sorry to be so wordy, but these are good questions, and I think knowing the answers, albeit imperfect ones, helps prepare for our shared home. And it helps the moderation team focus on the transition as well.

Thanks!

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 28, 2015 at 11:37 am
Old Jul 28, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by JDiver
Soon enough, US hub threads will migrate to the Combined forum, and the resulting thread wikis will undoubtedly become more similar.for example, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...e-airport.html is different from the AA airport threads above, but presents some very well organised and useful information - I suspect we'll see some of this employed in all hub airport threads going forward.
As a pmAA FF, I'm glad to here this. I have found these US hub guide threads to be very handy and expect DFW, ORD, etc versions may benefit both pmUS fliers and new AA fliers in the future.

JDiver, appreciate the work you and the mods are doing as well as the way you are taking the best idea from both forums as we forge forward into a single forum future.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by ty97
As a pmAA FF, I'm glad to here this. I have found these US hub guide threads to be very handy and expect DFW, ORD, etc versions may benefit both pmUS fliers and new AA fliers in the future.

JDiver, appreciate the work you and the mods are doing as well as the way you are taking the best idea from both forums as we forge forward into a single forum future.
Thanks.

If it works, it works.

In a way, though we've no choice in the merger, it gives us a challenge to sort out what does work best and put it to work in our new forum.

Fortunately, members have taken the considerable time and effort to put together airport guides for the four major US hubs, so now it's off to work on DFW, LAX, MIA and ORD.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by ty97

OK, I've cobbed together DFW and LAX hub airport guides a la pmUS with a couple of my own ingredients and spices added :

These are both under construction, as indicated.

Am I on the right track? Am I missing something? Let me know here or via PM. Thanks!

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 16, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.