AA DFW-HNL 763

US AIR PBI-DCA 319
AA DCA-DFW 738
AA DFW-HNL 763

Anybody have any help on this matter?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I like the 319. Some may find the leg room a little cramped though. You won't have IFE or power.

Service otherwise will be more or less the same.

Why are you going so far north just to go back to DFW?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Superguy
I like the 319. Some may find the leg room a little cramped though. You won't have IFE or power.

Traveling in First Class, those were about the only 2 schedules to meet our time getting into HNL at 5:30pm the same day. I too thought it was odd to go that far North just to make it back to Dallas. They used to have a flight from PBI-DFW-HNL, but I don't see it listed anymore.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:00 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Would it save you overall door to door time to drive down to MIA and go MIA-DFW-HNL? Does AA fly FLL-DFW? The double connection going up the East coast to double back to DFW adds some risk of misconnects if any delays pop up.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by PHL
Would it save you overall door to door time to drive down to MIA and go MIA-DFW-HNL?
That's a truly awful drive, and the time it takes to do it is totally unpredictable. Could be just a bit more than an hour, could be 3 hours. Then you have to deal with MIA parking and security.

I'd choose a connection before I did that.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmraggs
Traveling in First Class, those were about the only 2 schedules to meet our time getting into HNL at 5:30pm the same day. I too thought it was odd to go that far North just to make it back to Dallas. They used to have a flight from PBI-DFW-HNL, but I don't see it listed anymore.
You doing paid or an award?

Nothing thru CLT either?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Your best route for getting to HNL the same afternoon is

AA 1423 07:20 AM PBI 09:22 AM DFW 738

AA 5 10:30 AM DFW 01:47 PM HNL 763

unless you're looking for an award itinerary and 1423 isn't available.

An additional connection increases the risk of misconnecting, so if I couldn't use this, my next choice would be to drive to FLL. Before DCA or PHL I would look at CLT if there is no way to avoid the extra connecting flight.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:40 pm

I would take coach seats non-stop PBI-DFW any day of the week over F seats via DCA or PHL (or CLT, although that would be the least painful).
Old Jun 11, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
As far as the OP's original question, the A319 is one of my favorites as boarding and deplaning is quick since it has fewer seats, while still not being a commuter jet.

The A319 is basically an A320, just shorter.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by Superguy

Exactly what is it that you like about it, lol?
Old Jun 12, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriott Silver
I flew DFW-PHL in F on the 319 yesterday, and it was generally pleasant. Bulkhead seat has limited legroom (which took some getting used to, at 6'4"), and the pullout tray tended to move around on me if I wasn't careful, but it was otherwise good. As others mentioned, boarding takes just long enough to enjoy your PDB but not so long as to delay the flight, even when it is at capacity.

Regarding risk for misconnects, I can't speak to the other routes, but for what it's worth, I've done PHL-DFW roundtrips about fifteen times, and I haven't been delayed more than 15 minutes; departure times have varied from first flight out to midday flights to the last flight out.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krlcomm
Exactly what is it that you like about it, lol?
Seat pitch in F doesn't bother me much as I have short legs. So no complaints there. The seats are wider than the 738 in Y, and if you get 10A or F, you get tons of leg room.

It's not a bad plane.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 5:50 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by BSBD
That's a truly awful drive, and the time it takes to do it is totally unpredictable. Could be just a bit more than an hour, could be 3 hours. Then you have to deal with MIA parking and security.

I'd choose a connection before I did that.
I do it all the time... did it last week and doing it again this week. I live just south of WPB and use PBI / FLL / MIA every single week, MIA app. 60%-70% of the time because of favorable non-stops. I can be at MIA in an hour or slightly less if I avoid the rush hour. I live close to the turnpike so that is a big benefit... but 3 hours? Never once, never more than 90 minutes. I park in the Dolphin garage and have never had an issue and the security at MIA isn't any better or worse than the security at any major airport (I have GE)... And yes, AA flies FLL-DFW.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The pitch on the 319 in F is pretty cramped and the planes feel old. Some of them are around 15 years old and in sad states of disrepair. However, unlike the 320 the bulkhead does have a foot cutout. See below picture for illustration of limited pitch:

Old Jun 26, 2015, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Personally, I find the non-bulkheads to be the worst F seats on any aircraft. I'd actually rather be in F on a CR7 or CR9. It's not about the legroom (no issues for me) but that the seat in front feels far too close. And if reclining happens, forget it. It's pretty claustrophobic.

In fairness, I haven't flown an AA 319 in F. It sounds like that is actually more cramped than the US configuration (albeit with much more ergonomic seats, IFE, and power).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.