Wiki Posts
Search

Umbrella Onboard

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K
Umbrella Onboard

I've never flown US before and have an upcoming flight which looks like it might be a rainy day. Am I allowed a wooden full-sized umbrella in the cabin?
Old May 26, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
It's more a matter as to what the TSA would allow, and yes, umbrellas and walking canes are permitted - with the caveat they might be subjected to additional scrutiny since objects could be hidden inside (especially the James Bond ones )
Old May 26, 2015, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by GaryZ
It's more a matter as to what the TSA would allow, and yes, umbrellas and walking canes are permitted - with the caveat they might be subjected to additional scrutiny since objects could be hidden inside (especially the James Bond ones )
TSA scrutiny I can deal with. Worst case one their agents open it up inside and have bad luck rain down on them.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
As this is a TSA issue and not US, I'll move to the Travel Safety/Security (Practical Issues) forum.

Thanks!

aztimm
Old May 27, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Personally I carry a collapsing umbrella that easily fits in my carry on rather than a full sized one with a long staff. It's more a matter of convenience than a matter of getting an umbrella through security. Also one less thing to carry and kind track of during a trip. After a couple of tries I finally found one that's well built and is pretty much full size when expanded.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Randyk47
Personally I carry a collapsing umbrella that easily fits in my carry on rather than a full sized one with a long staff. It's more a matter of convenience than a matter of getting an umbrella through security. Also one less thing to carry and kind track of during a trip. After a couple of tries I finally found one that's well built and is pretty much full size when expanded.
And what brand?
Old May 27, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by BH62
And what brand?
It's a Totes, Style # 7021. It's not one of the small wussy models. It's a spring loaded one button model. Easy to use and easy to stow away. Should have added that before but actually thought Mrs. K had it with her in Louisville, KY.
Old May 27, 2015, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Eternity000
TSA scrutiny I can deal with. Worst case one their agents open it up inside and have bad luck rain down on them.
What's truly sad is that we've reached the point where we even need to ask this question.

Eternity, hope you enjoy your trip.

Mike
Old May 28, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Eternity000
I've never flown US before and have an upcoming flight which looks like it might be a rainy day. Am I allowed a wooden full-sized umbrella in the cabin?
Should be fine, unless your last name is Cobblepot.
Old May 29, 2015, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Yes.

We bought an expensive umbrella in Europe on a rainy day when it was the only option.

We subsequently sent it through a success of airports in both Europe and the US on the way home and no one batted an eyelash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.