Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2015, 12:16 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
some personal comments about US Airways

I flew on an all USAIR itn (my first) JFK-PHX-LAS (5/15); LAS-CLT-JFK (5/18):
(1) JFK-PHX (dep: 6:35 am) was delayed due to the incoming red-eye PHX-JFK. I got to the gate at 6:00 am--I noticed the GAs every few minutes went to the window to see if the inbound had arrived; don't the GAs get official updates as to when a flight has landed.

(2) I arrived in PHX at 9:50 am, PHX-LAS was scheduled to depart at 10:10 am--but since 61 pax from JFK-PHX were connecting to LAS, they held the plane.^ I was following gate info on my ipad: JFK-PHX was to arrive at A17, PHX-LAS dep from A19 (a few feet away). The FA in FC had all the gate info wrong--doesn't he get the same info I do?

(3) PDBs on all segments.^

(4) Most of the FAs on my 4 flts looked 1/2 the age (or 30 years younger) whichever is less, than the FAs on most of AA flts I've taken.

(5) I was upgraded on all segments considerably earlier than AA does.*

(6) My 5/15 miles have NOT yet posted.

(7) CLT is a VERY busy airport.
*Hopefully this is a preview of the NEW AA.^
Old May 18, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
FAs get a print out before they take off so if anything changed in the 5+ hours you were in the air they would not know.
Old May 18, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Procedure at AA is (was?) to print out connecting gate info on the flight deck printer not too long before arrival. Unless it's a really short flight, printing that info on the ground before departure is a complete waste of paper.

A while back there was a substantial thread containing arguments about FAs reading connecting gate info.
Old May 18, 2015, 2:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
What does age have to do with anything? The FAs all have to demonstrate regularly they're capable of evacuations, etc. through testing, and the criteria for deciding if an FA can work are based on BFOQS - Bona Fide Occupational Qualifications - these days, thank goodness.
Old May 18, 2015, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Procedure at AA is (was?) to print out connecting gate info on the flight deck printer not too long before arrival. Unless it's a really short flight, printing that info on the ground before departure is a complete waste of paper.

A while back there was a substantial thread containing arguments about FAs reading connecting gate info.
But since this was a US flight, US's procedures are/were to print before departure.
Old May 18, 2015, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The whole connecting gate thing is foolish. If you care, you can pull it off the app. If you don't (and you really shouldn't as there's not much to do about it until you are off the aircraft), just look at a monitor or ask on arrival.
Old May 18, 2015, 3:35 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
What does age have to do with anything? The FAs all have to demonstrate regularly they're capable of evacuations, etc. through testing, and the criteria for deciding if an FA can work are based on BFOQS - Bona Fide Occupational Qualifications - these days, thank goodness.
Absolutely NOTHING--just an "interesting" observation.
Old May 18, 2015, 3:44 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
The whole connecting gate thing is foolish. If you care, you can pull it off the app. If you don't (and you really shouldn't as there's not much to do about it until you are off the aircraft), just look at a monitor or ask on arrival.
Since they were going to hold the flight for the 61 connecting the gate #s were NOT crucial--but if this were not the case and I had to get to my flight FAST every minute would have counted.
Old May 18, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
I take this early morning flight pretty regularly and it's never been held up by a late incoming. That was unlucky.
Old May 19, 2015, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nrr
(7) CLT is a VERY busy airport.
Depends. Just recently had a long layover there and there were a couple of times (including when I arrived and when I left) where the airport was wall to wall people, couldn't take a step out of line or you'd bump into someone or a motorized cart. Then there were times when there was absolutely no one walking around. I know people don't like extremely long (or short) layovers but with the long ones it's interesting to both people watch and see the airport "in action". Saw the same at PHL later in the day.
Old May 20, 2015, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Often1
knowing ahead of time if you have a long walk to your connection or if you're changing terminals or not makes a huge difference in how much you hustle off the plane to get into the terminal. So waiting to just find out once you're looking at a flight info display screen inside the terminal is just longer than I want to wait, although I do double check that the FIDS matches what the app or FA said.

I agree there are other methods you can find the info, but they give it to you in the air, at least on AA, so it is sooner than you'd hear on the app once you land. It's a holdover from before other methods were as easy to get the same info, but I certainly don't think it's "foolish."
Old May 20, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
I agree there are other methods you can find the info, but they give it to you in the air, at least on AA, so it is sooner than you'd hear on the app once you land. It's a holdover from before other methods were as easy to get the same info, but I certainly don't think it's "foolish."
Only on AA do the FA's announce connecting gates. Seems unnecessary, as gate assignments can change at the last minute (the FA often warns about this) which means you still have to check the app or monitors anyway.
Old May 20, 2015, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've always thought of CLT as a rather sane, well-run hub (as hubs go). Sometimes busy, but the wide, modern concourses give it a more pleasant feel. When I think "crazy busy", I think ORD...especially in the areas/concourses with all of the AE or UX gates. It has a bus terminal feel to it.

Much rather connect there than Philly...that's for sure.

I've never had an issue at PHX, but that airport is almost always O&D for me: I rarely connect there.
Old May 23, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
As a long time flyer I've only recently begun to fly US. I must say, with the exception of the 'one-step up from a folding chair - no frills seats', the service has been exceptional. Great gate agents, FAs, consistent PDBs, on par with AA food (tho US is consistent with linen while AA is not), I have no gripes at all.
Old May 23, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by airplanegod
Depends. Just recently had a long layover there and there were a couple of times (including when I arrived and when I left) where the airport was wall to wall people, couldn't take a step out of line or you'd bump into someone or a motorized cart. Then there were times when there was absolutely no one walking around. I know people don't like extremely long (or short) layovers but with the long ones it's interesting to both people watch and see the airport "in action". Saw the same at PHL later in the day.
I'd imagine this would have a lot to do with the banked hubs..periods of madness at times, quiet in between

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.