some personal comments about US Airways

Old May 23, 2015, 9:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
I'd imagine this would have a lot to do with the banked hubs..periods of madness at times, quiet in between
That's what I was looking for, banked hubs.
Old May 24, 2015, 6:26 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by pinniped
I've always thought of CLT as a rather sane, well-run hub (as hubs go). Sometimes busy, but the wide, modern concourses give it a more pleasant feel. When I think "crazy busy", I think ORD...especially in the areas/concourses with all of the AE or UX gates. It has a bus terminal feel to it.

Much rather connect there than Philly...that's for sure.

I've never had an issue at PHX, but that airport is almost always O&D for me: I rarely connect there.
Are you sure you are talking about CLT? The concourses are tiny, passengers boarding spill out in to (and in spots completely across) the concourse, if your gate is at the end of B or C during busy times it is a disaster when multiple adjacent gates all board at the same time, etc. Coming in at the end of E and connecting at the end of B or C when all of the banked flights are departing is always "fun". That airport reminds of the old DTW back in the pmNW days (the Berry terminal), the old DTW run from the end of F to the end of C is exactly what CLT is today.

Were you being sarcastic?
Old May 24, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by krlcomm
Are you sure you are talking about CLT? The concourses are tiny, passengers boarding spill out in to (and in spots completely across) the concourse, if your gate is at the end of B or C during busy times it is a disaster when multiple adjacent gates all board at the same time, etc. Coming in at the end of E and connecting at the end of B or C when all of the banked flights are departing is always "fun". That airport reminds of the old DTW back in the pmNW days (the Berry terminal), the old DTW run from the end of F to the end of C is exactly what CLT is today.

Were you being sarcastic?
Seems to me like you could replace CLT with DFW or ORD [and update the concourses] and still be just as (if not more) accurate... Just sayin'.

I can't count the number of times I've waited for boarding at DFW by standing on the inside landside wall across the hall from the gate, because it was the only place left to lean, let alone stand or sit.
Old May 24, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by BWISkyGuy
Seems to me like you could replace CLT with DFW or ORD [and update the concourses] and still be just as (if not more) accurate... Just sayin'.

I can't count the number of times I've waited for boarding at DFW by standing on the inside landside wall across the hall from the gate, because it was the only place left to lean, let alone stand or sit.
Very true, there are a number of airports my comments could apply to. I'm still digesting that someone thinks CLT has "wide, modern" concourses. A decent food court and a pretty good AC (the C/D one is pretty solid IMO) = Yes, but the concourses there are brutal, especially when it gets busy. The end of C when 4-5 flights are simultaneously boarding is one of the worst airport scenes I've ever been a part of. And the new, updated gates at DFW are quite nice.
Old May 24, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by krlcomm
Very true, there are a number of airports my comments could apply to. I'm still digesting that someone thinks CLT has "wide, modern" concourses. A decent food court and a pretty good AC (the C/D one is pretty solid IMO) = Yes, but the concourses there are brutal, especially when it gets busy. The end of C when 4-5 flights are simultaneously boarding is one of the worst airport scenes I've ever been a part of. And the new, updated gates at DFW are quite nice.
+1. I made that comment somewhere else recently...I've never seen a more congested and difficult-to-navigate-the-sea-of-humanity-airport than Charlotte, but these were both early arrivals from SAT connecting to ATL over in B. The second time was just plain nuts trying to get out of the arriving terminal, borderline ridiculous and then for fun, just mix in some excuuuuuuse the carts and it's good times.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.