Wiki Posts
Search

24 hour check-in or lose it?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2015, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Except that a reserved seat assignment could be lost if a plane type swap had taken place.

In any case, it's not clear to me from the OP's wording whether there was a specific seat reserved or just a seat in a particular cabin reserved. (Remember, these days, many people who have no status have difficulty picking a non-middle seat online when they make their reservation, without paying extra fees.)
I am Platinum Elite on AA/US. When I booked the ticket, there were no Preferred seats available so I reserved an exit row seat - which I've done in the past with no issues. At the time of the initial booking, the aircraft was a CRJ-900, same as the actual aircraft flown. I received several emails telling me that there were no first class upgrades available and the emails showed me in the seat I reserved. Then, 1 hour and 40 minutes prior to departure, I had no seat.

I got to talking to the passenger seated next to me. She was traveling with her spouse and one child, the child originating in a different city but connecting in Charlotte to the same destination. Her daughter was told at check-in that she had a seat to CLT, but didn't have a seat on the second flight from CLT - the flight I was departing on. She didn't check-in online either. In the end, we all got on.

I intend to write AA/US customer service to share with them my experience.
Old May 11, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Although the agent didn't state it this way, it seems from several posters' experience that it is a GOOD idea to use OLCI to make sure that the system doesn't give away your seat. Whether or not, it stems from system integration issues, who knows? But it sounds like a good idea to go ahead and check in at least 3 hours prior to departure.
Old May 13, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat
If I'm not upgraded before the 24 hour window, I almost always wait until I arrive at the airport to check in in case I get a notification that an F seat opened. I can then try to grab it as it's first come first serve at that point. So this is all totally false. I think there is a window you could lose your eat, but I thought it was like 15 or 20 minutes before doors close.
Old May 16, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
If I want to Move Up to an earlier flight, I don't check in beforehand either--I wait to check in at a kiosk at the airport since it often will offer to put me on an earlier flight.
Old May 16, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
AA has published minimum check-in times and if you are checking bags on a domestic flight that time is 90 minutes:

"Within the U.S. as well as flights to Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands check in:

At least 60 minutes prior to departure if not checking bags
At least 90 minutes prior to departure when checking bags"
https://www.aa.com/pubcontent/en_US/...rivalTimes.jsp

OP claims they arrived "1.5 hours prior to departure" which would be 90 minutes according to my calculation. If OP was flying to an international destination (or Hawaii or the USVI) with checked bags the check-in time is 2 hours. If the PSA told OP they lose their seat by not checking in at 24 hours that is 100% incorrect but it seems to me that OP most likely missed the check-in time to check bags.
Old May 16, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by higgies
If I'm not upgraded before the 24 hour window, I almost always wait until I arrive at the airport to check in in case I get a notification that an F seat opened. I can then try to grab it as it's first come first serve at that point.
You can do this whether you have checked in or not, at any time T-24h until the check-in deadline, from any internet enabled device. No need to wait until arrival at the airport, and no need to stand in an extra line at the ticket counter unless you plan to check bags.
Old May 17, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by krlcomm
AA has published minimum check-in times and if you are checking bags on a domestic flight that time is 90 minutes:

"Within the U.S. as well as flights to Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands check in:

OP claims they arrived "1.5 hours prior to departure" which would be 90 minutes according to my calculation. If OP was flying to an international destination (or Hawaii or the USVI) with checked bags the check-in time is 2 hours. If the PSA told OP they lose their seat by not checking in at 24 hours that is 100% incorrect but it seems to me that OP most likely missed the check-in time to check bags.
That's the suggested arrival time section. Scroll further down the page to see the minimum check-in time which explicitly states "To retain your pre-reserved seat on a confirmed flight, please adhere to the minimum check in and gate arrival times listed. We have suggested airport arrival times above to help you check in and get through Security with enough time." CLT, like most of the big airports, has a 45 minute minimum check-in time.
Old May 18, 2015, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Memo21
Not at all true and typical of the poor, disorganized service I have seen in Charlotte. Have been AA for years and never once has this happened. In fact, quite the opposite....my seat has been held, as an EXP, when I have checked in only minutes prior to flight.
No No No Charlotte has the greatest customer service in the world...
Old May 18, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
In AA-world, if you have an assigned seat, you do not lose it unless you miss the check-in deadlines that flightrisk referred to 2 posts up. Exceptions would be rare, things like equipment swaps or air marshals, and in those cases, even being checked in is no guarantee.

AA does use check-in time as the tiebreak for standby lists, so once the systems merge, if you plan to do a voluntary standby, or are worried about irrops (bad weather on the way), it's advantageous to check in as soon as you can. Otherwise, it doesn't much matter.

You can check in online even without a printer or mobile BP device, and that can protect you if you hit traffic and get to the airport past the deadline. If you checked in, agents can "re-print" your BP (even if you never printed it at all), but if you're not checked in by the deadline, AA's computers won't let them make an exception.
Old May 18, 2015, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by krlcomm

Is this the required check in deadline? If so, I guess I won't be flying AA/US as I don't care to waste so much time in airports. Most carriers set the cutoff at 30 minutes for most airports, 45 in certain huge airports, with some that are 30 without checked bags and 45 if you are checking a bag.
Old May 20, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
Deleted
Old May 20, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is this the required check in deadline? If so, I guess I won't be flying AA/US as I don't care to waste so much time in airports. Most carriers set the cutoff at 30 minutes for most airports, 45 in certain huge airports, with some that are 30 without checked bags and 45 if you are checking a bag.
This was answered a few posts up:

Originally Posted by flightrisk
That's the suggested arrival time section. Scroll further down the page to see the minimum check-in time which explicitly states "To retain your pre-reserved seat on a confirmed flight, please adhere to the minimum check in and gate arrival times listed. We have suggested airport arrival times above to help you check in and get through Security with enough time." CLT, like most of the big airports, has a 45 minute minimum check-in time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.