Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Confused about booking award ticket on US (and selecting seats)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:46 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC

I understand that all award tickets must now be booked on the AA.com site, but if we are booking a US Airways metal flight the AA.com website won't let me pick seats.

On the US Airways website I can see the seat map if I am buying the tickets with cash.

How do I get seat assignments for award tickets on US Airways? Do I have to call in and do it? Or can I use the US Airways site once the tickets are confirmed?

I am currently Platinum (just waiting for my status to update).
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GNALUZU
How do I get seat assignments for award tickets on US Airways? Do I have to call in and do it? Or can I use the US Airways site once the tickets are confirmed?
Yes, you can use the US site to secure seats after the award ticket is issued by AA. (Note that unlike US, with AAdvantage there is lag between the time you initially book and the time the ticket is actually issued. This can be minutes, hours or days.)

You'll need the US record locator to pull up the reservation and assign seats at usairways.com. In my recent experience, that appeared on the ticket once it was issued, so I didn't have to call in to get it -- which one frequently had to do with Dividend Miles-issued tickets.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:44 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
I booked the award seats on the AA website. I got my US Airways locator, but was not able to select seats on the US website. I ended up calling and they got me in my seats that I wanted.

Seems that they are all still learning the new system as well because we need to add a lap child and there was some additional confusion due to AA having lag between the Pending and Ticketed times.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by GNALUZU
. . . there was some additional confusion due to AA having lag between the Pending and Ticketed times.
In my case I wasn't able to assign the seat at usairways.com until the award reservation was actually ticketed. Am I understanding correctly that when you tried, yours also wasn't yet ticketed either?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:10 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
In my case I wasn't able to assign the seat at usairways.com until the award reservation was actually ticketed. Am I understanding correctly that when you tried, yours also wasn't yet ticketed either?
Yup, that is correct. Just got the email that they are now ticketed and I can now make changes to my seat assignments.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Just booked some US award flights and did seat selection on the US site once I was ticketed (about 10-minute lag). However, was not able to get Select seats without paying for them. As ExecPlat these should be free, no? Will call US in the morning.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Just booked some US award flights and did seat selection on the US site once I was ticketed (about 10-minute lag). However, was not able to get Select seats without paying for them. As ExecPlat these should be free, no? Will call US in the morning.
Preferred seats - you get free
Choice seats - you get to pay (nothing special about them, except up-front and usually isle/window)
Old May 5, 2015, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by iztok
Preferred seats - you get free
Choice seats - you get to pay (nothing special about them, except up-front and usually isle/window)
So even top tier elites pay for Choice seats, but Preferred seats are essentially Choice seats set aside for elites at no cost? Kept what I selected, didn't bother calling in. Guess I'll get used to these quirky things on US. (Like FA this morning on a USAirExpress flight claiming she couldn't offer the comp drink/snack to ExecPlats because they didn't use those remote terminals. Later came back with drink and snack!)
Old May 6, 2015, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
So even top tier elites pay for Choice seats, but Preferred seats are essentially Choice seats set aside for elites at no cost?
Yes. Ridiculous as it is -- yes.

Early on in the "Choice" seat initiative, Mr. Parker was asked about this very issue at a frequent traveler Mega-Do that stopped in PHX for a meet and greet. He was quoted as saying that was certainly not the intention. But it certainly never changed.

As you can imagine, high level elites buying last-minute tickets at ridiculous prices with only such "Choice" seats available left for purchase -- are not amused

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.