Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Equipment Swaps More Prevalent?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2015, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat

I have seen several recently-and usually don't care. However, an upcoming trip to Aruba has the 757 swapped for 320. So no Envoy-now standard 1st class seating. I always thought that was the best way to travel to Aruba. Now just a step or two above economy. Anyone else seeing this more as they fleets become one?
Old Apr 11, 2015, 7:15 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
AUA has been flown with a 757 for quite some time. Did you look at the schedule before and after your trip to see if this looks to be a permanent equipment change?

Regardless, yes I would expect to see them squeeze out as much efficiency as they can with fleet utilization. The 757 is more expensive to operate than a 320, though it likely was used for it's cargo hauling and had good yields.

On the plus side, we've seen the A330 go to more domestic and carib destinations than in the past.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
We are flying CLT-AUA (with a connection to CLT). Th outbound and return were on 757 at time of booking (flt 876/877). The return changed to a 320 a month ago. Outbound today. Trip is 4/30-5/9.

I looked at some other days as you suggested. Looks like being same flight even being serviced by 319 sometimes.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
We are flying CLT-AUA (with a connection to CLT). Th outbound and return were on 757 at time of booking (flt 876/877). The return changed to a 320 a month ago. Outbound today. Trip is 4/30-5/9.

I looked at some other days as you suggested. Looks like being same flight even being serviced by 319 sometimes.
Yep, this happened to us on our trip to SBH in August. CLT-SXM was changed from their US international 757 to an ETOPs A320. Kind of sad because now we lose any chance of IFE and inflight power.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by grapkoski
Yep, this happened to us on our trip to SBH in August. CLT-SXM was changed from their US international 757 to an ETOPs A320. Kind of sad because now we lose any chance of IFE and inflight power.
Well...if it helps, they don't deploy the IFE on Caribbean flights. However, the other features or a great seat to the islands etc are gone.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Well...if it helps, they don't deploy the IFE on Caribbean flights. However, the other features or a great seat to the islands etc are gone.
Since the merger began, reports are that US has been turning IFE on for non-TATL flights.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by rbourquin
Since the merger began, reports are that US has been turning IFE on for non-TATL flights.
Yep, they should have IFE on if the plane supports it, which we all know is a small percentage of the pmUS fleet.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 3:05 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most personal electronics today can work fine with a full charge without the need for power on a flight like CLT-SXM. I never assume the power works even if the equipment does have it.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I also experienced an equipment swap, but I'm not sure if it's seasonal or a change due to the merger. Originally a A332 from DUB-CLT in Oct & now a 757. I called to route through PHL because it still has the A332. I wasn't sure if the 757 has Envoy or not, so I didn't want to risk it.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EP

All remaining 757s to Europe on the US side have the old Envoy seats. The others have been retired.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by la2clt
All remaining 757s to Europe on the US side have the old Envoy seats. The others have been retired.
I wasn't aware of that & didn't want to risk it after flying the 757-200 from ORD-PHL. Thanks for letting me know.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: Hertz Five Star, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, National Executive, Alaksa MVP
Yep, they should have IFE on if the plane supports it, which we all know is a small percentage of the pmUS fleet.
Flew PHL-AUA Presidents week, no tablets were distributed on the 757.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Flew PHL-CUN in January on an A330. The video monitors were turned on, but they did not hand out the Bose headphones.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 2:47 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rpk113
Flew PHL-AUA Presidents week, no tablets were distributed on the 757.
I didn't think tablets were distributed on the 757 except for flights to Europe. Ditto for the Bose headphones on the A330. But maybe with the alignment of services, this has changed.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
Most personal electronics today can work fine with a full charge without the need for power on a flight like CLT-SXM. I never assume the power works even if the equipment does have it.
While I tend to agree, sometimes I can't always guarantee I'll have a full charge. It is just a nice backup that many airlines offer on routes like this. I'm curious to see what fleet standardization has in store for us over the next few years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.