Responsibility for compensation

Old Apr 10, 2015, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
Responsibility for compensation

I was booked on a Dividend Miles Award ticket, Mia-Mad-Muc, operated by Iberia. When I showed up at check-in I was told that they can not find my reservation, I am not on the flight list and that the flight is fully booked.
All they could do, is to put me on the next day flight. They sent me to the US Airways Desk, where I was rebooked on an AA /BA flight Mia-Lhr-Muc, so I finally arrrived over 4 hours later in MUC than my original booking.
In the end who is responsible for a compensation? iberia, which didn't have our reservation or US Airways, the ticket issuing Airline?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 4:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Probably US since it is responsible to ensure booking to Iberia

Given that you arrived only 4 hours late, then I don't see a huge amount of compensation from US

If it is Iberia's fault then you would be likely entitled to EUR600 which would need to be claimed from Iberia

I suspect that Iberia will just say that US ddn't properly make the reservation and so is not liable under EC261 for compensation
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:40 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Another lesson to always check, double check and triple check your award reservations on partner airlines right up to the day of departure.

There's been more than one story of US doing something wrong with the partner award reservation and the passenger showing up to the check in counter with a mess to clean up and not enough time.

It's fortunate that US was able to rebook you and get you there on the same day.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by tom-schmitt
I was booked on a Dividend Miles Award ticket, Mia-Mad-Muc, operated by Iberia. When I showed up at check-in I was told that they can not find my reservation, I am not on the flight list and that the flight is fully booked.
It was/is a known problem, that bookings made by US often have been cancelled by IB. Have a look to the wiki page at this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...-faq-help.html

Did you control your USDM booking regularly online? That was your homework if you booked with USDM miles... They (almost) never informed you about changes in your booking... On the other side you could not fly cheaper as with bought USDM miles.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the end who is responsible for a compensation? iberia, which didn't have our reservation or US Airways, the ticket issuing Airline?
I assume you're talking about EU-mandated compensation? If so, it does not apply on USA-based airline flights to the EU (only flights departing the EU if not an EU-based airline), so no airline owes you anything. You'll get nothing and like it.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
As I booked the ticket almost a 1 year ago, of course I checked it regularly as there were some schedule changes regarding flight times. The day before departure i checked it the last time and printed the E-ticket. Everything was fine, the Iberia flights were still active in the booking. I even used the Iberia Code to make a seat reservation a few months ago via phone.
It was the return flight and I´m wondering, as I entered the US twice during this trip ( DUS-JFk and SXM-MIA), if this would have been possible without a valid return ticket to leave the US. And yes I´m thinking of EU-Compensation, as Iberia is an EU-Carrier and it seems that they cancelled the ticket without any notice.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
And yes I´m thinking of EU-Compensation, as Iberia is an EU-Carrier and it seems that they cancelled the ticket without any notice.
OK, then go on ¡y buena suerte!
Old Apr 10, 2015, 11:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I assume you're talking about EU-mandated compensation? If so, it does not apply on USA-based airline flights to the EU (only flights departing the EU if not an EU-based airline), so no airline owes you anything. You'll get nothing and like it.
Iberia is an EU based carrier so EC261 is applicable to its flights from the USA

Whether any compensation would be due for this situation is another matter and I wouldn't be convinced that it would be

Originally Posted by tom schmitt
And yes I´m thinking of EU-Compensation, as Iberia is an EU-Carrier and it seems that they cancelled the ticket without any notice.
Given that this seems to be a problem with other US bookings on IB too, I would suspect that the issue is with US's process for making the reservation
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
As I booked the ticket almost a 1 year ago, of course I checked it regularly as there were some schedule changes regarding flight times. The day before departure i checked it the last time and printed the E-ticket. Everything was fine, the Iberia flights were still active in the booking. I even used the Iberia Code to make a seat reservation a few months ago via phone.
It was the return flight and I´m wondering, as I entered the US twice during this trip ( DUS-JFk and SXM-MIA), if this would have been possible without a valid return ticket to leave the US. And yes I´m thinking of EU-Compensation, as Iberia is an EU-Carrier and it seems that they cancelled the ticket without any notice.
Out of curiosity, why would you not have just gone ahead and checked in online? That may have prevented this issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.