Wiki Posts
Search

Wow......4 Days. (Upgrade reminder)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond
Wow......4 Days. (Upgrade reminder)

I remember fondly the 7-day reminder (through an upgrade status) of an upcoming trip.

When I realized that I didn't get anything today for next Wednesday's trip I went to the AA Website and saw that it is only 4 days now.

Ugh.

(Actually, I hated those reminders -- for obvious reasons- but was still batting about 40%-50% for 7-day upgrades.)

Oh well....upward and onward.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or is it 8 days? I've not had US flights before, but I'm AA Plat and booked a US-operated flight on next Wednesday through aa.com (my first US flight ever). Today I got a mysterious email from US about upgrade status (what upgrades was I supposed to get 8 days out??? ), saying I had no upgrades (of course!).

(My understanding is that AA elites can only get upgrades 24 hours out. I thus don't see a point of such an email to AA elites, who aren't US elites, whether 4 days or 7 days or 8 days out!)

So maybe it's simply a random number of days, if you got it at 4 days and I got one at 8 days?
Old Apr 7, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
We are all just AA Elites now. If you booked a USOperated flight on US metal, you are still eligible for comp upgrades for all 3 status levels.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by Flyer78
We are all just AA Elites now. If you booked a USOperated flight on US metal, you are still eligible for comp upgrades for all 3 status levels.
Exactly... We are all in the same boat now, if you book a US ticket (037 ticket stock) on US metal and use your Aadvantage number (it's the only number you can use!) you are in the queue and eligible for a complimentary upgrade at the window for your status level. Same thing for AA tickets (001 ticket stock) on AA metal.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by krlcomm
Exactly... We are all in the same boat now, if you book a US ticket (037 ticket stock) on US metal and use your Aadvantage number (it's the only number you can use!) you are in the queue and eligible for a complimentary upgrade at the window for your status level. Same thing for AA tickets (001 ticket stock) on AA metal.
Actually, ticket stock does not matter. You just cannot book a codeshare, it has to be booked under the "native" US flight number...
Old Apr 7, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by dls25
Quote:

Actually, ticket stock does not matter. You just cannot book a codeshare, it has to be booked under the "native" US flight number...
Correct me if I'm wrong here but I believe that if you book US flights on AA stock (001) then your only UG option is at OLCI. Previous to 2/28 if I booked US flights as an AA ExP I was not eligible for an UG at the ExP / CP window, now I am as long as the ticket is a US ticket (037). As long as I don't book a mixed metal itinerary I am good to go as long as my ticket is issued by the airline whose metal I am flying on... AA or US...
Old Apr 7, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Correct me if I'm wrong here but I believe that if you book US flights on AA stock (001) then your only UG option is at OLCI. Previous to 2/28 if I booked US flights as an AA ExP I was not eligible for an UG at the ExP / CP window, now I am as long as the ticket is a US ticket (037). As long as I don't book a mixed metal itinerary I am good to go as long as my ticket is issued by the airline whose metal I am flying on... AA or US...
The ticket stock doesn't matter at all. Your ticket could be issued by Air Namibia for all it matters but as long as the flights are not codeshares, you are eligible for upgrades at the appropriate windows.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
The ticket stock doesn't matter at all. Your ticket could be issued by Air Namibia for all it matters but as long as the flights are not codeshares, you are eligible for upgrades at the appropriate windows.
Not so much with miles.

At least IME, with AA coded flights bought on US stock, AA couldn't process a mileage upgrade. 500s were ok, but that doesn't work TATL.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis President's Club
...and now, what are the ramifications of a mixed metal itinerary - no difference?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
It depends on if you booked codeshare or prime flights.

Book the US flight number for US operated flights* for old DM style upgrades
Book the AA flight number for AA operated flights for AA style upgrades, stickers required over 500 miles.

You can have both AA and US operated flights on the same itinerary. See above for how upgrades get applied.

*Even with the SOC, both AA.com and USAirways.com will indicate which legacy carrier is operating the flight. Flight numbers overlap. Book on the one that is not operated by a different carrier.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Just got an upgrade email EXACTLY T-100 for a US flight. I am happy with the four day window considering all my AA flights are now between T-23 and T-4.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by Flyer78
How long will the old system with US Airways complementary upgrades last?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by remedy
How long will the old system with US Airways complementary upgrades last?
Until the reservation systems merge - which is set for October

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.