US airways refused to through check to AA?

Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
US airways refused to through check to AA?

I know us airways doesn't want to through check baggage to other airlines. But it doesn't even check through to AA on separate tickets?? Today a friend got rejected to through check baggage for connecting to AA at LGA.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since this happened to your friend, I don't have enough information to even hazard a guess as to whether the agent acted properly.

At least half the time we don't get complete accurate info even when the story is being told first-hand. When it's filtered thru friends, like in this case, the game of telephone can be amusing, but rarely informative.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Two separate airlines. Two separate tickets. Two separate PNRs. Why is this surprising? Why not buy one ticket? I agree, lots of info missing.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by sosfo
Two separate airlines. Two separate tickets. Two separate PNRs. Why is this surprising?
Because I've checked through on multiple airlines in the past. US to Alaska. Delta to Emirates, etc. I would think doing it for two airlines about to merge would be relatively simple.

You think not being able to check through US to AA is to be expected, when it's available elsewhere?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: AA ExPlt, UA Gold, HH Diamond
I think it's a US system issue because their website still says they won't thru check on separate tickets (there are no exceptions listed, even for oneworld or AA).

http://shopping.usairways.com/en-US/...epolicies.html
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by CPRich
Because I've checked through on multiple airlines in the past. US to Alaska. Delta to Emirates, etc. I would think doing it for two airlines about to merge would be relatively simple.

You think not being able to check through US to AA is to be expected, when it's available elsewhere?
The complexity of merging two airlines with different virtually everything means some things (us!) will fall through the cracks.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
US most certainly interlines to AA. Has done so for close to forever, certainly well before the merger.

I can only hazard a guess because OP isn't the passenger and this is all third-hand, but the friend may have been on two separate tickets and that, US won't do, even if it has an interline agreement. You may find an occasional agent who does it for you, but it's a policy no.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CPRich
I think it's expected on two sperate TICKETS as you indicated, yes. I've never been able to do that on any airline.

But, again, we don't really know the situation.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by sosfo
I think it's expected on two sperate TICKETS as you indicated, yes. I've never been able to do that on any airline.

But, again, we don't really know the situation.
Oh, it used to be possible. I remember interlining a bag from US to Air Pacific on two different reservations some number of years ago. But 3 years ago the DOT changed the rules and US (and I suspect a number of other airlines) changed their policy to only interline a bag if it was on a single itinerary which is what it sounds like the OPs friend ran into.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...t-tickets.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.