Special Dividend: UG on award travel post account merge?

Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: free agent
Special Dividend: UG on award travel post account merge?

Apologies if this is covered somewhere else.

With today being the last day we can redeem miles on the US side, any idea if this special dividend will still be active once miles are migrated to AA?

Specifically what I'm asking, is if I book a US flight with US miles today, then (presumably) I'd still be eligible for upgrades on that award ticket when the window opens.

If I wait until next week and book the same US flight with converted US miles (i.e. AA miles), then would I still be eligible for an upgrade on the award ticket?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
I believe an email went out when they said special dividends were going away that on us metal flights yes and AA operating flights no. So I would think on us metal flights until single reservations system
Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Special Dividends definitely are discontinued. But I'd hope that any of them *earned* in the 2014 program year are still valid for all of this program year. On my US account, under the "Upgrades on Award Travel" section, it said that the benefit expires 2/28/2016.

I just wonder actually how many people have actually earned and then used this benefit.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by AlphaTango
Special Dividends definitely are discontinued. But I'd hope that any of them *earned* in the 2014 program year are still valid for all of this program year. On my US account, under the "Upgrades on Award Travel" section, it said that the benefit expires 2/28/2016.

I just wonder actually how many people have actually earned and then used this benefit.
I thought I saw some reference that the Special Dividends program would end with Dividend Miles, which would be this weekend, and would make sense. However, I cannot find a reference to that at the moment. I certainly have no expectation of being upgraded on a domestic award ticket, say, this fall though.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Here's the page on the US site:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...ml?c=txt_01173

So you're thinking that special dividends *earned* in the 2014 program year go away with the program? So, my wife's club membership goes away, the people I nominated to silver lose status etc. ?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Here's the page on the US site:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...ml?c=txt_01173

So you're thinking that special dividends *earned* in the 2014 program year go away with the program? So, my wife's club membership goes away, the people I nominated to silver lose status etc. ?
C'mon - don't be dense. Of course they aren't going to take away my wife's club membership and SP status she earned through my Special Dividends.

What's being said is that if I had, for example, a spare status nomination that I had not redeemed (and hadn't already expired) it would die with the Dividend Miles program this weekend.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
C'mon - don't be dense. Of course they aren't going to take away my wife's club membership and SP status she earned through my Special Dividends.

What's being said is that if I had, for example, a spare status nomination that I had not redeemed (and hadn't already expired) it would die with the Dividend Miles program this weekend.
Not being dense at all. My original question (see post #1) related to upgrades on award travel. This was a benefit that I earned in 2014. Do you think that that goes away this weekend? I'm OK with speculation.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Not being dense at all. My original question (see post #1) related to upgrades on award travel. This was a benefit that I earned in 2014. Do you think that that goes away this weekend? I'm OK with speculation.
With DM systems being merged into AA systems this weekend, which have never had the concept of Special Dividends, I think it's a real possibility that upgrades on award travel go away within days. Obviously I hope I'm wrong, but I have a vague recollection of seeing that this benefit was only available until the program merge. With the Special Dividends section of the My Account page on the US web site down for that migration - which is where I thought I remembered seeing that - I can't verify it now.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: WFBF
If it's going to stick around, I would guess it only sticks around until the reservations/upgrade systems get merged later in the year; until then, it's at least reasonably possible they could still know who has the benefit and who doesn't.

But I'm not holding my breath.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phlwookie
With DM systems being merged into AA systems this weekend, which have never had the concept of Special Dividends, I think it's a real possibility that upgrades on award travel go away within days. Obviously I hope I'm wrong, but I have a vague recollection of seeing that this benefit was only available until the program merge. With the Special Dividends section of the My Account page on the US web site down for that migration - which is where I thought I remembered seeing that - I can't verify it now.
But after this weekend, there's still going to be a US "gnome" right? (haven't seen that word in a while! ) If so, then it still might know to upgrade those eligible on award flights. Just guessing.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Redeem by now but travel in the future - that's my understanding of the deal on Special Dividends with the merger.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.