Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage allowance Citi Card/Barclays mixed metal

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Baggage allowance Citi Card/Barclays mixed metal

My SO is flying this week on a US Air ticket. Flight out is on US Air planes. Flight back is code share on American planes.

She has both Citi AA card and Barclays US Air cards. Purchased tix with Barclays.

Is she going to have to pay a baggage fee on her return flight on AA metal?

Wouldn't make sense, but I wonder.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:52 pm

No, because the benefit is attached to your aadvantage number. It doesn't matter which card you use to book.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:15 am

She may have to speak to the person at the baggage check in counter. For the AA flight, she will need to have her AAdvantage number in the system to trigger the free bag.

I have both cards as well, and I ran into that this weekend. Booked a USAirways codeshare and had my AAdvantage number on the itinerary. The system tried to charge me for the bag, but the agent was able to swap in my Dividend Miles number and the bag showed as free.

I can't wait for this mess to be combined.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:00 pm

Here's another scenario for you....

I have a handful of AA credit card, including the Citi AA Executive World Elite card. I have an upcoming trip on US Air (April 4) that was booked on the AA website using AA miles.

Will I have to pay for baggage? I've read conflicting info. on FT, twitter, blogs, etc. and would just like to know what to expect. All of my AA cards have free baggage - but wasn't sure how that translated with a.) booking US air via AA website w/ points b.) the merge.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by wahhutch9
Here's another scenario for you....

I have a handful of AA credit card, including the Citi AA Executive World Elite card. I have an upcoming trip on US Air (April 4) that was booked on the AA website using AA miles.

Will I have to pay for baggage? I've read conflicting info. on FT, twitter, blogs, etc. and would just like to know what to expect. All of my AA cards have free baggage - but wasn't sure how that translated with a.) booking US air via AA website w/ points b.) the merge.

Thanks in advance!
By then, the transition to a single frequent flyer program should be complete and both Barclay and Citi cardholders will receive reciprocal benefits on the other airline. You should not have to pay for your first checked bag, and you should also receive Zone 2 boarding.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
By then, the transition to a single frequent flyer program should be complete and both Barclay and Citi cardholders will receive reciprocal benefits on the other airline. You should not have to pay for your first checked bag, and you should also receive Zone 2 boarding.
The programs are merged now, so there is only AAdvantage. You should get the free bag (and other benefits) with either metal now, as there is only one FF# to input. Just use your AAdvantage number going forward.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:29 pm

I have had this issue come up several times. In DSM once they waived the fee (correctly) after I asked. In JFK it took me 20 minutes of talking to get them to waive it for me. My sister (who has fairly high status with US air, got the run around in DSM and they refused to help her, so she had to call after the flight and get reimbursed YMMV
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Scotttyd
I have had this issue come up several times. In DSM once they waived the fee (correctly) after I asked. In JFK it took me 20 minutes of talking to get them to waive it for me. My sister (who has fairly high status with US air, got the run around in DSM and they refused to help her, so she had to call after the flight and get reimbursed YMMV
Official policy is not to waive the fee unless the credit card is associated with the AAdvantage number, but some agents are more flexible than others if you present the physical card. I wouldn't hold it against the agents who don't waive it since they're just doing their job.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.