Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Assignment Change

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Seat Assignment Change

Booked a flight last Thursday through my corporate travel agency who assigned me a random seat.

I changed later that day to 27E which was a seat next to my wife, who is on a different record locator.

This morning, I check and I've been moved to 21E and my former seat is now occupied.

Corporate travel agency says they didn't touch the ticket. Talked to the preferred desk and the agent said she could not see my seat history or provide any explanation as to why my seat would have been changed.

Only a couple random other middles nowhere near my wife now available.

Any thoughts on how to fix before flight on 2/26 or what could have happened?

Last edited by maizenblue07; Feb 23, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by maizenblue07
Booked a flight last Thursday through my corporate travel agency who assigned me a random seat.

I changed later that day to 27E which was a seat next to my wife, who is on a different record locator.

This morning, I check and I've been moved to 21E and my former seat is now occupied.

Corporate travel agency says they didn't touch the ticket. Talked to the preferred desk and the agent said she could not see my seat history or provide any explanation as to why my seat would have been changed.

Only a couple random other middles nowhere near my wife now available.

Any thoughts on how to fix before flight on 2/26 or what could have happened?
Keep checking the seat map before departure to see if someone gets UPG or doesn't show up.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Yes, will obviously keep checking the seatmap (have EF alerts set up), but my question was more around how this could happen and no explanation/fix could be provided. None of the normal reasons for seat changes seem to apply:

1. FAM - unlikely a FAM would specifically request a middle coach seat almost near the back
2. Aircraft swap - Was a 321 when I booked last week and is still a 321. All US 321's have same configuration AFAIK.
3. VIP/Executive requesting seat - Again like #1, why would any VIP specifically want a middle coach seat near the back
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
3. VIP/Executive requesting seat - Again like #1, why would any VIP specifically want a middle coach seat near the back
For the same reason you do? To be next to their spouse in the adjacent window or aisle seat
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
For the same reason you do? To be next to their spouse in the adjacent window or aisle seat
True

But I would figure that if they are VIP enough to boot an EXP out of a seat, they could probably get the fee for the open Choice seats waived.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, Avis Prefered
True

But I would figure that if they are VIP enough to boot an EXP out of a seat, they could probably get the fee for the open Choice seats waived.
I have been told that there is no way to waive that Choice Fee other than the day of travel. I am CP and have paid it occasionally when nothing else is available and I don't think I will get upgraded to F. If someone else knows how to waive it let me know.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 1:53 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PSUPaul
I have been told that there is no way to waive that Choice Fee other than the day of travel. I am CP and have paid it occasionally when nothing else is available and I don't think I will get upgraded to F. If someone else knows how to waive it let me know.
Once they made me pay the Choice Fee on day of travel. To make it worse, it was them that did not deliver me to Philadelphia on time for my connection to Seattle. And to make it even worse, on my original flight I had been upgraded to First. So, they let me choose: a middle seat or pay the Choice Fee for an aisle. And since it was the government that had paid for my trip, I did not get reimbursed for that Choice Fee.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
I've had three seat assignment changes on US (and one on CX and three on BA) since the first of the year, also with no obvious reason. On one of these trips, my daughter was on a separate PNR (US) and she had two random changes. I've given up and now conclude that I did something really horrible in a past life.

I would also be interested in knowing why this is suddenly happening so often.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 6:15 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Yes, will obviously keep checking the seatmap (have EF alerts set up), but my question was more around how this could happen and no explanation/fix could be provided. None of the normal reasons for seat changes seem to apply:

1. FAM - unlikely a FAM would specifically request a middle coach seat almost near the back
2. Aircraft swap - Was a 321 when I booked last week and is still a 321. All US 321's have same configuration AFAIK.
4. Seating parent next to young child?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.