Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does US put up CP overnight in case of weather?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2015, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Does US put up CP overnight in case of weather?

Hey all,

I'm traveling DFW-PHL-BWI on US metal tomorrow. Given the weather situation and advisories, it's possible I could get stuck somewhere.

I know UA would put up their 1Ks at no charge for weather emergencies. Does US do the same for CP? It's a work trip do I could always exchange a hotel if needed. I'd just like to know what US will do for stranded CPs.

Thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I think years ago they used to. But the last time it happened to me they did not.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 7:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Very unlikely. You would have to run into an agent willing to bend the rules and a supervisor willing to come up with a reason to approve.

You have likely pointed to the very reason why it's no longer a standard unpublished perk. While not universally so, most of the CP / 1K / EXP travel is employer-paid and employers are going to reimburse their employees for IROPS hotels. Add to that people with travel interruption insurance and it's really the poor guy with 6 kids who travels 1x/year who gets dinged. So, no particular perk in providing a voucher.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
The same question goes to AA and their EXPS: are they put up? I agree, UA does have that as a benefit; although it's largely YMMV, some agents are unaware of the policy.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
I was delayed about 3.5 hours out of LHR yesterday (I believe due to WX delays on the inbound flight to LHR) and was going to miss my connection in PHL. When I arrived, there was a table set up prior to customs with an array of new boarding passes for missed connections and mine had stapled to it a hotel voucher and two meal vouchers (2 pax).

As it turned out, my connection was delayed even longer than my first flight, so after hoofing it through customs, rechecking bags, and getting to the gate expecting to find the plane gone, ended up sitting at the gate for 2 more hours before finally leaving as originally booked, not needing to use any of the vouchers.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
The same question goes to AA and their EXPS: are they put up? I agree, UA does have that as a benefit; although it's largely YMMV, some agents are unaware of the policy.
The few weather cancels I had AA put me up in the Marriott or Holiday Inn
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks all for the info. I don't know that a voucher would have done much good anyway.

We left DFW (US metal) on time, but couldn't land in PHL after a few attempts. We ended up diverting to RIC to wait it out and refuel.

While on the ground, I got a cancellation notice with a rebooking for the 830p flight last night. CP line said they couldn't do any better. So I started looking for a room.

Airport Marriott was already sold out at around 4pm when this was going on. I ended up getting a room at the Renaissance (how bad that experience was is a whole other thread). PHL was a complete mess by the time we got there around 6:30. The taxiways were all covered, one runway was open for landing, and we had to wait for the plows to clear out the ramp so we could get into a gate.

As the hotel shuttle was all backed up, I waited for nearly an hour to get a taxi. During that time, I was hearing how all the rooms near the airport were sold out, and people were going downtown for a room.

I'm definitely glad I took things into my own hands earlier rather than hoping US would take care of me. I at least had a room, and my company took care of it.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Doesn't AA fly nonstop from DFW to BWI? Or couldn't you take Amtrak from Philadelphia? It's easy to get from the airport to the train station there.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Doesn't AA fly nonstop from DFW to BWI? Or couldn't you take Amtrak from Philadelphia? It's easy to get from the airport to the train station there.
They do, but I prefer US metal for the time being as my status is with US instead of AA.

I didn't look into Amtrak. My wife wasn't too thrilled about driving in general this weekend, so she didn't want to go downtown. I looked at a rental car option. However, I was able to get on a 5:30 flight that got me home about the same time I would have if I had rented a car.

Plus, being able to sleep in really late on a Sunday was really nice too. I had been putting 12-13 hour days in all week prior to that, so it was a welcome rest.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
Interesting. I've never been put up for weather delays this Millenium. Maintenance and crew issues, yes. Weather, no.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
The Marriott at the airport is best but if sold out a viable option for PHL is a downtown hotel and taking SEPTA to 30th St Station. Better hotel, area and food options.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marrriott Silver, SPG, National Exec Elite
Stuck in CLT last week due to weather. I just got my own hotel as well, and fortunately my destination hotel let me cancel without charge. I never rely on the airline, but would like an overnight kit if they can't pull my luggage for the night.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz President's Circle
If you are on personal travel (or business travel that you pay for personally and get reimbursed) just get a good CC that provides trip delay benefits (Chase Sapphire, Citi ThankYou Preferred, etc). You'll get reimbursed up to $500 for hotel of your choice, meals, etc with a minimum of hassle. Far better than dealing with the airline, even if they would help you. I've used this a number of times with excellent results.

Folks that have to buy their travel on a company card, but then have a company that will not cover IRROPS expenses, would be in a tough spot. Hopefully not many people fall into this category.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by mh4ll
If you are on personal travel (or business travel that you pay for personally and get reimbursed) just get a good CC that provides trip delay benefits (Chase Sapphire, Citi ThankYou Preferred, etc).
Exactly. Discover Card, too.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gruss
I was delayed about 3.5 hours out of LHR yesterday (I believe due to WX delays on the inbound flight to LHR) and was going to miss my connection in PHL. When I arrived, there was a table set up prior to customs with an array of new boarding passes for missed connections and mine had stapled to it a hotel voucher and two meal vouchers (2 pax).

As it turned out, my connection was delayed even longer than my first flight, so after hoofing it through customs, rechecking bags, and getting to the gate expecting to find the plane gone, ended up sitting at the gate for 2 more hours before finally leaving as originally booked, not needing to use any of the vouchers.
When the delayed flight is from the EU, they have a legal obligation under EU Law to provide accommodation (and meals as appropriate) for all pax who are forced to stay overnight due to a missed connection, regardless of the cause of the delay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.