Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A319 BWI-PHL? Really? Why?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2015, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
A319 BWI-PHL? Really? Why?

Hi all,

Looking for a flight in June, first leg will be BWI-PHL, and saw that one flight each day is an A-319. (FLight 586, Dpt 1835, ARR 1938).

Have to say I was surprised by 2 things. First, that USAir is flying a 319 on that route (normally stuck on tiny regional jets). Anyone know why?

Also, surprised at the block times. Usually they are under an hour on this route.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I'd assume that with those timings, it is feeding evening traffic to Europe. More seats in general, more F seats in case you have anybody who actually paid for business class.

Whatever capacity is not going to Europe can be used to feed the late bank of flights to west coast cities instead of sending them through CLT or PHX.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Aircarft optimization. The geeks do the math and determine that it may be worth taking a bath on the micro-hop to position the aircraft xPHL.

The block time takes account of the likely delays on the ground on both ends and ATC in that corridor.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP; UA Silver; Marriott Platinum Premier; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Platinum; National Executive Elite
I have flown this route several times last year. Each flight was nearly full or even oversold. It takes longer to board and deplane than it does to fly the actual route. I was surprised they used mainline on this route at first, but IME, it seems they have the load factors to support it.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
First time I've ever seen a complaint about a mainline plane instead of an RJ on FT.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by Michael El
First time I've ever seen a complaint about a mainline plane instead of an RJ on FT.
Glad to surprise you. But seriously, not a complaint, just a surprise. It's only 90 miles. I generally fly American and JetBlue, but since the merger I've found myself on USAir more often. This winter I've been flying BWI-PHL and the only flights are on small regional planes. Was surprised to see a mainline plane on the schedule this summer.

That said, I've been happy to book it, and the first class fares from BWI are much better than out of DCA.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by dcstudent
Glad to surprise you. But seriously, not a complaint, just a surprise. It's only 90 miles. I generally fly American and JetBlue, but since the merger I've found myself on USAir more often. This winter I've been flying BWI-PHL and the only flights are on small regional planes. Was surprised to see a mainline plane on the schedule this summer.

That said, I've been happy to book it, and the first class fares from BWI are much better than out of DCA.
I haven't flown this route, but last year I flew US DCA-PHL-MUC on an AA award ticket. I flew on a small regional plane, but the plane was full and US had several DCA-PHL flights within a relatively short period of time. For this coming summer, I've booked a MUC-PHL-DCA using AA miles, but at least for now I have a 6-hour connection at PHL due to unavailability of award seats PHL-DCA from late afternoon until 9:10 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
As already noted, it's aircraft positioning. A 319 is needed in PHL, a flight needs to go to PHL, a flight needs to get to BWI, etc - expand the needs into a huge non-linear optimization problem with PhD's working the algorithms. And the most efficient result includes a 319 on this route on this day.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:11 am

I have flown the reverse route on an East 757, so "Envoy" seats in F. Pretty nice . The aircraft then did BWI-PHX. Incidentally that was my last US flight, before they left *A

Last edited by flugvergnugen; Feb 9, 2015 at 9:18 am
Old Feb 9, 2015, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich
As already noted, it's aircraft positioning. A 319 is needed in PHL, a flight needs to go to PHL, a flight needs to get to BWI, etc - expand the needs into a huge non-linear optimization problem with PhD's working the algorithms. And the most efficient result includes a 319 on this route on this day.
Hey, I used to be one of those (about 20 years ago). But, seriously, I think we will see more of this, as the two airlines combine their route networks.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
They've had a 319 on this route for years. I remember taking it back in 2005.

I generally prefer this flight as it means I don't have to deal with the F gates. Plus the 319 is much more comfortable than the RJs.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Back in the late 90s, United used to send an arriving 5am inbound DC10 red-eye up on ORD-MKE and back, to get it out of the way before it had to go back to SFO at 8am.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I've flown this route on 757s as well as 321s. So a 319 sounds like a downgauge to me.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by Superguy
don't have to deal with the F gates
That was my first thought.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The loads, of course, don't matter unless you know what people are paying for their tickets. PRASM and all that. But, the fact is that if you need the aircraft in PHL and would ferry it up empty, the marginal cost of running it as a revenue flight are negligible.

This is likely a more efficient flight on a smaller aircraft depending on winds and the like as it really can be as little as 15 mins wheels up to wheels down if the wind and ATC collaborate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.