Search

UK APD Refunds?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:01 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
UK APD Refunds?

I know that AA has a procedure to refund the UK APD when you present them with proof of a connecting ticket (i.e. an inbound into LHR), but does US? I'm thinking of flying A3 ATH-LHR and then US LHR-PHL-LHR (which I can get on a single ticket, but I need ATH-LHR on A3 stock to use my A3 seat upgrade) 2h later, which obviously isn't that appealing if I have to pay APD.

Any experiences?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
My experiences with AA haven't involved refunds, they've involved my providing information about onward flights I've booked (ticket numbers, PNR / itineraries) so they won't charge me to begin with. Not every agent is up to snuff on this.

Good luck getting your APD back; any ongoing connection 23:59 or less should have APD waived. I feel it's my duty to avoid Her Majesty's excise tax whenever it's legal to do so and I can.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:35 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by JDiver
My experiences with AA haven't involved refunds, they've involved my providing information about onward flights I've booked (ticket numbers, PNR / itineraries) so they won't charge me to begin with. Not every agent is up to snuff on this.

Good luck getting your APD back; any ongoing connection 23:59 or less should have APD waived. I feel it's my duty to avoid Her Majesty's excise tax whenever it's legal to do so and I can.
Haven't booked anything yet! I'm still exploring options. It ends up being cheaper to include the ATH-LHR part in the ticket, even after discounting the APD, probably for reasons that involve fat...

Worst case, I suppose I'll have to tough it out for an extra 4h in Y.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by pewpew

Haven't booked anything yet! I'm still exploring options. It ends up being cheaper to include the ATH-LHR part in the ticket, even after discounting the APD, probably for reasons that involve fat...

Worst case, I suppose I'll have to tough it out for an extra 4h in Y.
Have you looked into flying into a different European gateway on A3, and then flying XXX-PHL-LHR as an open jaw?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Off topic - but a few years ago my wife and I were on LONE4's and flew into LHR scheduled 10am and flew out of LGW the next day scheduled 10am. APD was not assessed. This was an 001- ticket ex AKL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.