Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No refund for canceled flight due to weather? (Answer: Incorrect)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Sounds like she's already made a decision, but did she consider STL? She wouldn't be able to connect onward to CMI, but driving time to Champaign from Lambert is almost exactly the same as from O'Hare (just under 3 hours).
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by metallo
Sounds like she's already made a decision, but did she consider STL? She wouldn't be able to connect onward to CMI, but driving time to Champaign from Lambert is almost exactly the same as from O'Hare (just under 3 hours).
I appreciate this tip! The decision was the best one presented to us but if she can get to STL tomorrow (much better availability!) and rent a car/schedule a bus, then she might take that option. I have passed it on to her.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
If flight is cancelled, you can request a full refund even on non-ref. This even applies even if they can reroute you to get there early/around the same time.

Just this afternoon. Was booked 3PM LGA-DCA-FLL. Had 90 minutes at DCA. 3PM CXLD. Rebooked for 4PM to DCA which can connect to original DCA-FLL. I called and was able to refund it.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 12:12 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I remember flying US through DCA about two years ago (in January). I was waiting in DCA, and waiting, and the weather was awful, and I kept getting messages on my cell phone telling me departure time is now 10:00PM - now 11:15 - now 11:45 - now 1:07AM - and eventually I worked out that the plane that was supposed to take us out (to RDU) just wasn't coming. So I found a couple other people on the flight and rented a car.

I have no idea what US was doing with my ticket, but I eventually asked for and received a refund for the DCA-RDU portion of the ticket.

I had another time I was flying RDU-CLT-PHL-BDA. CLT-PHL was delayed, and I got to PHL just in time to see the BDA flight pulling back. There is only one flight a day from PHL to BDA. They gave me a refund on that flight also. (Which was fantastic for me, since due to a change in plans, I didn't even want to go to BDA anymore - I wanted to stay in PHL!)
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:26 pm

Same kind of issue, but with award travel

Hey all,

Going through hell with US Air / AA right now on a similar issue. I had the final leg of a return flight canceled two weeks ago due to weather. Ended up having to foot the bill for a taxi to the train station and then an Amtrak ticket back home. Of course I'm understanding... these things happen. But there's no reason to think they're entitle to payment for a service not delivered, right? So just give me my miles back.

Here's what might make my case a bit different - the round trip ticket was purchased with miles. I called customer relations and they told me they could not refund the miles - advised me to submit a complaint via the web requesting payment for my taxi/train. Did that (requested miles or , if that wasn't possible, payment for my taxi/train) and got the email response today that they would not offer any compensation. So what's the best recourse? This is absolute baloney!

Note that I tried replying to the email, but it's an unmonitored account. I tried copying the paper trail into a new email through their web form, but it doesn't fit because of the character limit. So aggravating.

Thanks in advance!
Emmett
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by ejl10
Hey all,

Going through hell with US Air / AA right now on a similar issue. I had the final leg of a return flight canceled two weeks ago due to weather. Ended up having to foot the bill for a taxi to the train station and then an Amtrak ticket back home. Of course I'm understanding... these things happen. But there's no reason to think they're entitle to payment for a service not delivered, right? So just give me my miles back.

Here's what might make my case a bit different - the round trip ticket was purchased with miles. I called customer relations and they told me they could not refund the miles - advised me to submit a complaint via the web requesting payment for my taxi/train. Did that (requested miles or , if that wasn't possible, payment for my taxi/train) and got the email response today that they would not offer any compensation. So what's the best recourse? This is absolute baloney!

Note that I tried replying to the email, but it's an unmonitored account. I tried copying the paper trail into a new email through their web form, but it doesn't fit because of the character limit. So aggravating.

Thanks in advance!
Emmett
Send in a hard copy request for the miles (not the taxi/train) and I've got to imagine you'll get them back -- assuming this was the whole return leg (like the second segment of PHL-PHX-PHL, and not just the sixth segment of something like ANC-PHX-PHL-BGR-PHL-PHX-ANC).
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

OP here. I had the same issue today with AA--cancelled the outbound of a roundtrip and booked a ticket with VX instead because of the cancellations. Lost a SWU but c'est la vie. I haven't put in a refund request but assume it will be no problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.