Wiki Posts
Search

Winter Storm "Juno" Jan 26-28, 2015 and US Airways travel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Silver; WN A-List; Marriott Plat Premier
Winter Storm "Juno" Jan 26-28, 2015 and US Airways travel

Am scheduled to fly to Boston this afternoon and just found out my meetings are cancelled due to the blizzard watch. I don't see a travel advisory up yet on the USAir website. Anyone know if they will be adding one?

from the Weather Channel:
Winter Storm Juno will be a major snowstorm for the Northeast Monday and Tuesday. Parts of the region could see blizzard conditions and more than a foot of snow. Blizzard watches have already been issued from parts of southern New England, including Boston and Providence, to New York City and northeast New Jersey. A winter storm watch is in place for the Philadelphia metro area.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
I assume they will be issuing a travel advisory at some point, but I'm not sure that flights this afternoon (Sunday) will be affected. I'm in Washington DC as I write this, and precipitation is not expected to begin here until after sunset. That may be true in Boston as well.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
In PHL they are expecting less than 2" accumulation for rush hour Monday morning, but nothing significant until late Monday/Tuesday.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Silver; WN A-List; Marriott Plat Premier
Travel advisory issued:

Winter Storm Juno
1/25/2015 10:47 AM ET

Cities Affected

Hartford, CT ; New Haven, CT ; Washington, DC (Reagan National) ; Washington, DC (Dulles Int'l Airport) ; Bangor, ME ; Portland, ME ; Baltimore, MD ; Boston, MA ; Manchester, NH ; Newark, NJ ; Albany, NY ; Islip, NY ; New York, NY (LaGuardia) ; New York, NY (JFK Airport) ; Newburgh, NY ; White Plains, NY ; Allentown, PA ; Harrisburg, PA ; Philadelphia, PA ; Scranton, PA ; State College, PA ; Williamsport, PA ; Providence, RI ; Burlington, VT

Revised Ticket Policy

Due to weather, US Airways offers the following flexibility options to our ticketed customers whose travel may be impacted by this event. Customers ticketed to travel to/from or through the airports listed below may change flights as shown below.

If you are traveling to, from or through:

· Albany, NY (ALB)

· Allentown / Bethlehem, PA (ABE)

· Baltimore, MD (BWI)

· Bangor, ME (BGR)

· Boston, MA (BOS)

· Burlington, VT (BTV)

· Harrisburg, PA (MDT)

· Hartford, CT (BDL)

· Islip / Long Island/Macarthur, NY (ISP)

· Manchester, NH (MHT)

· New Haven, CT (HVN)

· New York Kennedy, NY (JFK)

· New York LaGuardia, NY (LGA)

· Newark, NJ (EWR)

· Philadelphia, PA (PHL)

· Portland, ME (PWM)

· Providence, RI (PVD)

· Scranton / Wilkes Barre, PA (AVP)

· State College, PA (SCE)

· Stewart / Newburgh, NY (SWF)

· Washington Dulles, VA (IAD)

· Washington Reagan Nat'l, DC (DCA)

· Westchester County / White Plains, NY (HPN)

· Williamsport, PA (IPT)

On the following dates: January 26 or 27, 2015.
And your ticket was issued no later than: January 25, 2015.
You may travel: January 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 or 30, 2015.
Original inventory required? No
Origin/Destination/Stopover Changes allowed? No

Refunds? No

The ticket reissue charge will be waived for one ticket change.

Change your trip online at usairways.com/manageyourtrip

If you need help, please call 800-428-4322.

Travel Agents, please refer to the link below & use waiver code.

· OSI US LWSNA250115L
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Admirals Club, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond, National Emerald Executive
It will be interesting if this gets extended, with almost 3 feet forecasted in spots.

I fly into BDL on Wednesday, we shall see.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:13 am

Programs: AA EXP
Juno Travel

Original scheduled to HVN (via PHL) tonight, now headed to BDL (via PHL) this morning. Meetings Tuesday to Thursday... Tuesday portion likely to be cancelled, but have to go in today to be there for Wednesday and Thursday.

Wish me luck.

Side note... check out rental car prices in Hartford... $200 a day+, so taking Amtrak down to New Haven.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Hoping to get back from LHR on Wednesday ... hopefully my A330 makes it over Tueday evening (or it's from the the CLT flight).
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:39 am

I'm trying to get on usairways.com to rebook... site is timing out attempt after attempt.

EDIT: going directly to reservations.usairways.com works much better.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA EXP & 2M, SQ PPS, DL Diamond
Good luck trying to get through reservations...had 3 hangups and one message saying system is too busy. EXP on American but that doesn't matter. Finally, can't log into US Airways to cancel flight (Gateway Timeout. The proxy server did not receive a timely response from the upstream server. Reference #1.3ef04f17.1422284603.35a4be9f.)

Someone in IT obviously didn't load test their system well enough or scrimping by to focus funds on "new" post consolidation.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by 200nites
Good luck trying to get through reservations...had 3 hangups and one message saying system is too busy. EXP on American but that doesn't matter. Finally, can't log into US Airways to cancel flight (Gateway Timeout. The proxy server did not receive a timely response from the upstream server. Reference #1.3ef04f17.1422284603.35a4be9f.)

Someone in IT obviously didn't load test their system well enough or scrimping by to focus funds on "new" post consolidation.
Unfortunately, this has happened in the past. US Airways has not done a good job of getting their website or phone systems ready for massive use during these types of situations. And I doubt this will be rectified before the website and phone system gets merged with American Airlines' systems.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EXP: : SPG Plat; HH Gold
Website is a complete mess right now - basically things will only get worse as the weather ramps up in intensity.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Unfortunately, this has happened in the past. US Airways has not done a good job of getting their website or phone systems ready for massive use during these types of situations. And I doubt this will be rectified before the website and phone system gets merged with American Airlines' systems.
Ahem. Last year I was booked to fly on both US and AA (ELM-PHL-MIA-CUR) on the day a winter storm hit PHL. The reservation was with AA so I called them. When there was any answer at all, it was a recording advising me to hang up, no option to wait for an agent. So I don't think that combining the US phone system with AA's is necessarily the solution.

I ended up using Skype to call AA in Copenhagen. The earliest departure for which seats were available on all three legs of the routing was four days later, and I agreed to a refund.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:37 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by kochleffel
Ahem. Last year I was booked to fly on both US and AA (ELM-PHL-MIA-CUR) on the day a winter storm hit PHL. The reservation was with AA so I called them. When there was any answer at all, it was a recording advising me to hang up, no option to wait for an agent. So I don't think that combining the US phone system with AA's is necessarily the solution.

I ended up using Skype to call AA in Copenhagen. The earliest departure for which seats were available on all three legs of the routing was four days later, and I agreed to a refund.
I had a similar issue w a storm in Phl last year. When I called AA (no status w them), they had the option to leave my # and they would call me back. Worked like a charm instead of me holding the phone wasting away.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
I had a CLT-LGA last night with return Tuesday night LGA-CLT.

I was already at the airport and canceled. I doubt I'll get refund but it beats being stuck for days.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
Originally Posted by 200nites
Good luck trying to get through reservations...had 3 hangups and one message saying system is too busy. EXP on American but that doesn't matter.
i called yesterday (sunday) evening. i dialed the main US reservations number at 8:44pm, and got thru just after 10pm. once thru, a friendly and efficient agent got me rebooked for the first flight this morning (monday).

tons of empty seats on both legs -- apparently connecting at LGA wasn't a popular option today. :-) but in the end, the early morning flights didn't do that badly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.