Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade to Envoy worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Gold, AA Lifetime Gold
Upgrade to Envoy worth it?

I'm flying MAD-PHL-SAN in economy in about a week, booked through AA for 20k miles. Business/first just opened up, so I could "upgrade" for 30k more miles. The flights are currently empty in economy, so have a very likely chance for an empty seat next to me. I don't have a ton of points- but play the MS and credit card signup game, so can always make more.. Just not sure if it is really worth 30k more miles..thoughts?
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by pdrickey
I'm flying MAD-PHL-SAN in economy in about a week, booked through AA for 20k miles. Business/first just opened up, so I could "upgrade" for 30k more miles. The flights are currently empty in economy, so have a very likely chance for an empty seat next to me. I don't have a ton of points- but play the MS and credit card signup game, so can always make more.. Just not sure if it is really worth 30k more miles..thoughts?
Isn't there a $300 upgrade fee as well?

If so, I would recommend against it. While other Flyertalkers will talk about the amazing deal you are receiving, they are comparing it to the price of an originally-purchased Envoy ticket, which can often be thousands more than an economy class fare.

I think the real question is: In what other realm of life do you spend $300+ for 12 hours of marginally improved comfort? If the answer is:

A) I'm rolling in dough -- my net worth is > $1 million and I always do this! Then YES, buy your upgrade
B) I'm an average guy. Then NO, do not buy your upgrade.

Hope this helps!
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Gold, AA Lifetime Gold
No $300 upgrade fee- I would be just changing to a Business class award ticket. Sorry for the confusion saying it's an upgrade. (But if I did have to pay $300+miles I would just sit in coach)
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Personally, I would do it. I really enjoy the added comfort.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:17 pm

Assuming you aren't burning your last 30K miles, I would do it. For an 8 hour and a 5.5 hour flight, assuming they are the same day, it is worth it to get the business class seat. Plus, I believe you then get access to the Iberia lounge in MAD.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:20 pm

Totally worth it US Y trans Atlantic is not the most pleasant experience in the world. Think what you will save on drinks alone
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Airbridge
Totally worth it US Y trans Atlantic is not the most pleasant experience in the world. Think what you will save on drinks alone
My recommendation doesn't change. 30K miles are worth at least $300.

Do you pay $300-$400+ for 8-12 hours of marginally improved comfort in any other setting of your life? If so, then go for it! If not, then consider this a reality check.

Economy class is not "sucking it up." It's getting from one place to another with "free" food, drinks, and movies. Envoy is only slightly better. Your 8 hours will be over before you know it and your Envoy rubber steak dinner and Chilean wine will be giving you indigestion on the ground.

Personally, for $300-$400, I'd rather have a laptop or iPad, a second economy ticket, or just about anything else.

Last edited by phisher4; Jan 24, 2015 at 1:04 pm
Old Jan 24, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I would absolutely do the upgrade- without a doubt. Think of how much you're already shelling out for the trip, and just a little bit more will make the experience much more comfortable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.