Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Preferred miles member card usage?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Preferred miles member card usage?

This might be a stupid question....but I recently got my gold preferred member card in the mail. Can you do anything with the card? Or is the magnetic strip just for show?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: US Chairman, M&M FTL
- Enter a Lounge abroad (or US ones when traveling out of the country) - some swipe them, some do not.
- Use it during checkin for pulling your reservation on the kiosks

It is not just for show - it has your information on it.

What do you want to use it for?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I have NOT been able to use it:

1. At US Airways kiosks
2. At ticket agent desks or lounges (as your boarding pass will show your status)
3. When trying to get help from US personnel, hoping that being Preferred would be worth something

Thus to me it's worthless, other than the Gold Preferred number on the back.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Venabili
- Enter a Lounge abroad (or US ones when traveling out of the country) - some swipe them, some do not.
- Use it during checkin for pulling your reservation on the kiosks

It is not just for show - it has your information on it.

What do you want to use it for?
My baggage tag has a mag strip on it, so I can use that for my reservation and stuff? If so, that sounds cool, either way it's gonna stay on my bag and I never carry my actual card around, don't know if that'll cause problems for me proving my status.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Silver
Originally Posted by hiima
My baggage tag has a mag strip on it, so I can use that for my reservation and stuff? If so, that sounds cool, either way it's gonna stay on my bag and I never carry my actual card around, don't know if that'll cause problems for me proving my status.
Your status should show on your boarding passes if you fly a oneworld airline, and have your US FF# in the reservation. Some partner lounges may still ask that you show your physical elite card for lounge access, so it's best to carry it when travelling.

The baggage tag strip has nothing on it - just a side effect of their being manufactured from the same piece of material as that used to make and encode the dividend miles elite card.

Yes, I have scanned my baggage tag strip with a magnetic card reader, and it shows no information, while the elite card has all my information (name, FF#, elite level, expiration date) encoded.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 4:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by NYCommuter

1. At US Airways kiosks
2. At ticket agent desks or lounges (as your boarding pass will show your status)
3. When trying to get help from US personnel, hoping that being Preferred would be worth something

Though I rarely have a need to use the card, I'm pretty sure that I've used my 2014 card at a kiosk at least once since it showed up. Is the mag stripe dead perhaps?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by NYCommuter

1. At US Airways kiosks

I always use my card on the kiosks - never had issues with it. No idea why you cannot use it but...
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by hiima

If you look at the letter that came with the card, they explicitly tell you that the strip on the luggage tag is disabled for your security

Plus the kiosk accepts the card; even if the tag had the strip, there is no way to allow the kiosk to read it (it is the wrong size)
Old Jan 23, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Circuits
Your status should show on your boarding passes if you fly a oneworld airline, and have your US FF# in the reservation. Some partner lounges may still ask that you show your physical elite card for lounge access, so it's best to carry it when travelling.

The baggage tag strip has nothing on it - just a side effect of their being manufactured from the same piece of material as that used to make and encode the dividend miles elite card.

Yes, I have scanned my baggage tag strip with a magnetic card reader, and it shows no information, while the elite card has all my information (name, FF#, elite level, expiration date) encoded.
The baggage tag is stupid then, still looks nice though.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Some kiosks do not know what to do with the info. In particular, ones at Express locations may behave as if nothing has been swiped at all. I've also been told by some mainline agents that the only thing they can do with the card is type in the DM number printed on the front. I have been able to get it swiped in a former US Club (but not AA one). Apparently there are a variety of systems and/or card readers.

Originally Posted by Venabili
If you look at the letter that came with the card, they explicitly tell you that the strip on the luggage tag is disabled for your security

Plus the kiosk accepts the card; even if the tag had the strip, there is no way to allow the kiosk to read it (it is the wrong size)
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I've gotten it swiped at check in, at the US clubs, and also in the LHR Terminal 5 BA First lounge (as a Oneworld Emerald flying BA J, otherwise I would've had to use the Business Terraces lounge). Thus it does serve some purpose ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.