Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Appropriate compensation when US staff can't/won't do their jobs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2015, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I am in the middle of dealing with US staff who can't/won't do their jobs. A flight went out with empty seats, and I will now get home at least 5 hours later than I'd like. Would a travel voucher of maybe $250 be appropriate? Is there any way to fix this situation so that it doesn't happen again?

I booked abc-PHL-LGA for later today and tried to Move Up to an earlier trip (abc-CLT-LGA). The first time, the ticket agent didn't know how to do her job. The second time, the gate agent wouldn't do her job. Then my original flight- which I wouldn't have been on if they had done their jobs- got delayed.

1: Ticket Agent Didn't Know How

This morning, the US mobile site said that seats were available on the flights that I wanted, so I came to the airport early this morning to Move Up but was told that the exact routing had to be the same. I was also told that a Move Up couldn't be processed until 6 hours before the original flight (regardless of the time of the new flight).

I showed the printout from the US website with the Move Up rules (that the connecting city didn't matter- just that the number of connections had to be the same), and I called the Preferred line, who confirmed those rules. That made no difference; the US ticket agent called an internal US number and what they told her conflicted with those rules.

2. Gate Agent Wouldn't Help

So I came back to the airport for the flight I wanted to get on. By then, all available seats (as per the US mobile site) were gone. The US ticket agent said that she couldn't do a Move Up because no seats were available, but that I could try to stand by.

Around 42 people had checked in 30 minutes before the flight, and there were 50 seats. The gate agent processed seats for some other US Airways personnel and then for some non-Preferreds; she wouldn't come to the main podium help me. After the final boarding call, she finally offered to help. I told her that I wanted to Move Up, and she said that it was too hard, since I hadn't been added to a standby list earlier; she'd "have to go into the system and it would be complicated". I begged, and she then told another guy (whose original flight was cancelled) and me that since it was within 10 minutes of departure (for an Express flight), she couldn't help us.

So the flight went out with empty seats on it, leaving at least 2 people waiting.

Perhaps I should have been more aggressive, but I've learned that it's best just to smile, say thank you and walk away if I don't get what I want with US; I don't argue.

3. Additional Delays

Now my original flight is delayed, and so I'll be getting home 5+ hours later than if the Move Up had been processed.

I'd like compensation, but I'd also like to fix this so that it doesn't happen again. I'd greatly appreciate any guidance.

It's a small airport.

Thanks.
Maybe I missed something but -

Is it possible this ticket was booked on AA ticket stock and caused an issue with processing the change?

Did the new connecting flight have seats available?

If you talked to someone at the Preferred desk why didn't they make the change?
Old Jan 24, 2015, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by onic
Maybe I missed something but -

Is it possible this ticket was booked on AA ticket stock and caused an issue with processing the change?

Did the new connecting flight have seats available?

If you talked to someone at the Preferred desk why didn't they make the change?
The ticket was a solely US ticket.

The connecting flights always had seats available. When I tried to Move Up the first time, the first flight also had seats available; when I tried to Move Up later in the day, the first flight no longer had seats available.

The first time I tried to Move Up, I was told that a Move Up could not be made via a new connecting city even though seats were available. The second time I tried, I was told that a Move Up could be done via a new connecting city, but no seats were available.

The Preferred desk said that they could not overrule the ticket agent at the airport.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
I'm curious to hear how this ends. The response from the "new American" seems to be to apologize for part of the problem (or not to understand the situation at all) and offer not even a pittance of compensation.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:20 pm

Programs: WFBF
Count me in the "choose battles wisely" camp.

I've suffered much worse at the hands of pmAA, and chose not to fight it because it's just not worth the trouble; even if there is compensation, it will be a pittance, and spending hours/days fighting for it means valuing my time at a fraction of a pittance.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:38 am
Original Poster

I've also received much worse treatment from US before. In this case, I want the underlying problem- poor training and unmotivated employees- addressed so that others don't face the same issues. I am requesting only nominal compensation, and if I don't get that, I will be following up directly with the station manager to make sure that the employee issues are brought to his attention.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

I received a very nice voucher for this. Thank you, US!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.