Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Per the US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid.../upgrades.html

Upgrade notification
We send you an email the first time we try for an upgrade – no need to call. We'll continue to check for upgrades throughout the day and send follow up emails if we change your upgrade status – right up until 24 hours before your flight. If we're unable to upgrade your reservation up to 24 hours prior to departure, we'll process your upgrades when you check in online or at the airport (if they become available).

To be placed on the standby list choose the 'Add to standby list' link when you check in online. You'll only see the option to add yourself to the standby list if all passengers in your reservation are Preferred. If you're traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Please check your Dividend Miles account to make sure we have your current email address.

Preferred upgrade priority – advance travel dates
When you purchase a full fare (Y or B class) economy ticket, you are eligible for an instant upgrade to First Class. After your reservation is ticketed, we will automatically attempt to upgrade you around the clock until a seat becomes available. We prioritize full fare economy tickets over all other fares.

If you book a discount fare (any fare other than Y or B class), we prioritize your upgrade by Preferred level and within each Preferred level, by the number of Preferred-qualifying miles you've flown on US Airways and US Airways Express operated flights in the last 12 months. We begin processing upgrades for all discount fares at either 7, 4, 3 or 2 days prior to departure, depending on Preferred level.

If we are unable to confirm an upgrade during our automated process, we'll try again when you check in for your flight. If seats are not available when you check in online, you can choose to be placed on the standby list.

To be placed on the standby list select the 'Add to standby list' link when checking in online. All passengers in your reservation must have Preferred status to have this option displayed at check in. If you are traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Preferred upgrade priority – day of departure
•If we're unable to confirm an upgrade seat for you prior to departure, you may request an upgrade when you check in.
•Once check-in for a flight has begun, priority will be based upon Preferred level and then upon earliest check-in.
•Please advise the gate agent at the airport if you're traveling with a companion.

If no First Class seats are open when you check in at the airport, you'll have the option to be added to the standby list, but you must be the only person listed in your reservation.
If there are multiple Preferred members in one reservation, you must ask to have your reservation separated at the airport.
If you're traveling with a non-Preferred member, you will also need to have your reservation separated at the airport; however, your companion will no longer be eligible for a complimentary upgrade.

Companion upgrades
One non-Preferred traveling companion can upgrade when traveling on the same reservation as a Preferred member with a qualifying paid ticket. The companion will be upgraded at the same time as the Preferred member.

more info to add? click, "Edit Wikipost," and make the changes

Prior threads can be found here:
2014: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-merger/1538399-us-automatic-upgrades-elite-master-thread-2014-a-29.html
Older: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-merger/1128712-us-automatic-upgrades-elite-master-thread.html

New thread for AA program on US-operated flights:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-combined-airline-program/1675313-aa-upgrades-us-flights-new-program-2015-a.html
Print Wikipost

US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Silver, Fantasy Football Champ
I have a flight on Monday morning. PIT-DCA-LAS. I am Gold. This is the first time in the last 12 months I did not receive an email letting me know if I got upgraded or not. Guess there is something wrong with their system.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, IHG Plt, SPG Gld
I'm gold and have a US metal flight on Sunday. No emails here and after calling was told that 'your flight was booked as an AA codeshare and can only be upgraded at the airport.' AA also doesn't let me upgrade on AA metal, so this merger is not giving me a warm-fuzzy.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Deleted
Old Feb 6, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by halfpny
I'm gold and have a US metal flight on Sunday. No emails here and after calling was told that 'your flight was booked as an AA codeshare and can only be upgraded at the airport.' AA also doesn't let me upgrade on AA metal, so this merger is not giving me a warm-fuzzy.
Yes, reciprocal upgrades for DM on AA tickets and/or metal kind of sucks.

We'll be on the full AA program soon enough (2Q), apparently regardless of ticket stock and metal (AA/US). Stickers for flights >500 miles, UDU for flights <500 miles. Better to wait and decide then whether or not you like the new system as it won't be the temporary stopgap system in place right now.

FWIW (and for thread content), I did get upgraded for this Monday's PHL-BUF at the Gold window, but no email. I can live without the email as long as the upgrade clears.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt

Yes, reciprocal upgrades for DM on AA tickets and/or metal kind of sucks.

We'll be on the full AA program soon enough (2Q), apparently regardless of ticket stock and metal (AA/US). Stickers for flights >500 miles, UDU for flights <500 miles. Better to wait and decide then whether or not you like the new system as it won't be the temporary stopgap system in place right now.

FWIW (and for thread content), I did get upgraded for this Monday's PHL-BUF at the Gold window, but no email. I can live without the email as long as the upgrade clears.
Yes, I'm looking forward to the combined program for consistency. I'm just finding the transition frustrating because the policies online all say one thing and reality varies significantly.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 1:21 pm

Yes, I'm looking forward to the combined program for consistency. I'm just finding the transition frustrating because the policies online all say one thing and reality varies significantly.
Your scenario is pretty clearly referenced online
Old Feb 7, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by Gunner14
Exactly, along with the clear explanation that upgrades will continue to work differently on each airline after the DM program is collapsed. Not sure why folks are assuming US metal will be using the AA upgrade system.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Carl
Exactly, along with the clear explanation that upgrades will continue to work differently on each airline after the DM program is collapsed. Not sure why folks are assuming US metal will be using the AA upgrade system.
Yeah, now that I recheck the integration website I see that I was completely off on the separate upgrade schemes after the programs combine but before reservation systems combine.

Stickers on AA marketed/operated.
UDU on US m/o.
Day of travel only on codeshares.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AA...2015/index.jsp
Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:42 am

I'm really confused. I've been upgrading reliably, and recently whether I receive emails or not is somewhat random, and I just failed to get an upgrade or notification for my flight tomorrow (US metal, DM Platinum).

Upgrades have been automatic (as of last week), has this just changed or is this a glitch? Are we supposed to be calling in about upgrades now?
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by BaconTastesGood
I'm really confused. I've been upgrading reliably, and recently whether I receive emails or not is somewhat random, and I just failed to get an upgrade or notification for my flight tomorrow (US metal, DM Platinum).

Upgrades have been automatic (as of last week), has this just changed or is this a glitch? Are we supposed to be calling in about upgrades now?
There is clearly still some system glitch (as evidenced by all the missed emails referenced on this board). I've just been monitoring upgrade space when inside my window and calling.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
The recent issues seem to have been created by the switch to AA fare classes. It had also appeared that US had quietly moved to the AA upgrade window system (i.e. exactly 72 hours from flight departure for Gold as opposed to happening at midnight PST three calendar days in advance). This explained why most CP folks weren't seeing timely upgrades, as that AA window is only 100 hours instead of 7 days. This has been discussed quite a bit in the fare class alignment thread.

At any rate, I have flights late afternoon and evening this Wednesday. Based upon recent experience, I wasn't expecting upgrades to hit until this afternoon. Surprisingly, they were already there when I checked this morning (like the old days). No US email notification nor one from Orbitz (which will typically let me know when my itinerary changes). Still, it's nice to see the upgrades, so maybe the issues have been mostly resolved.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Carl
The recent issues seem to have been created by the switch to AA fare classes. It had also appeared that US had quietly moved to the AA upgrade window system (i.e. exactly 72 hours from flight departure for Gold as opposed to happening at midnight PST three calendar days in advance). This explained why most CP folks weren't seeing timely upgrades, as that AA window is only 100 hours instead of 7 days. This has been discussed quite a bit in the fare class alignment thread.
I don't believe they've switched to the AA upgrade windows. I have flights coming up this week that were upgraded at the 7-day CP window. The sweep happened overnight like always. No upgrade email, but I'd rather have the upgrade and no email than an email and no upgrade.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 7:25 pm

Understand that it's online, but when you're stuck with a codeshare between AA and US and can't even pay for an upgrade, it can be frustrating.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Gold, Kimpton Inner Circle
I think there is some sort of glitch. I wasn't auto-cleared at t-7 for my travels this coming weekend. Had to call the chairmans desk and she was able to upgrade me on the one flight (long-haul thank god).

There is clearly still some system glitch (as evidenced by all the missed emails referenced on this board). I've just been monitoring upgrade space when inside my window and calling.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Award Upgrade

I know this has been discussed but I read something online that is making me think there is a slight (very slight) chance of an award tix being upgraded. I am Silver Preferred.

•Certain discounted fares and award travel tickets may not be eligible for upgrades.

Key word being "may". Has anyone ever completely lucked out and gotten an award ticket upgraded Sans giving up miles or $$? Maybe things have loosened up with the merger etc?

To boot, although I booked an award ticket, it is still being shown as farecode "Y"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.