Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways Destroyed my Suitcase LAX, CLT, BDL

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2014, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: United
US Airways Destroyed my Suitcase LAX, CLT, BDL

Wondering if anyone else has run into a situation like this?

My wife, daughter and I were traveling back for my Grandmother's funeral service. When we arrived in BDL we found out single suitcase which was a checked baggage on the conveyor belt in a black garbage bag.

[content removed by moderator]

This case was smashed and dragged with tarmac markings on the outside.

Several of the items inside which were rugged construction such as my Leatherman Wave and a few items like clothing for the funeral and babies clothes were completely ruined. We spent well over $700 replacing what we could two days before the funeral, but have now been told that without any receipts US Airways will only refund about $700 of the items missing or damaged, and they did not provide a breakdown.

Has anyone else on this forum gone through this process? Any tips on what the heck to do to make sure we don't get further screwed over?

Thanks!

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Dec 29, 2014 at 10:26 am Reason: removed non-functioning links
Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Since your post specifically involves one particular airline, it has been moved to the dedicated US Airways forum for discussion. Also, please note that the image links you originally attempted to embed were non-functioning, so have been removed.

Good luck.

~Moderator, Information Desk
Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by sigkill
Wondering if anyone else has run into a situation like this?

My wife, daughter and I were traveling back for my Grandmother's funeral service. When we arrived in BDL we found out single suitcase which was a checked baggage on the conveyor belt in a black garbage bag.

[content removed by moderator]

This case was smashed and dragged with tarmac markings on the outside.

Several of the items inside which were rugged construction such as my Leatherman Wave and a few items like clothing for the funeral and babies clothes were completely ruined. We spent well over $700 replacing what we could two days before the funeral, but have now been told that without any receipts US Airways will only refund about $700 of the items missing or damaged, and they did not provide a breakdown.

Has anyone else on this forum gone through this process? Any tips on what the heck to do to make sure we don't get further screwed over?

Thanks!
In general one should allways save receipts for replacement items bought after such an incident... I seem to beunlucky with these and have had 3 busted bags this year snd 7 majorly delayed...

For lost items they will only refund a x amount without receipts.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz President's Circle
If you used a credit card to purchase the replacement merchandise, you can usually get copies of your receipts from the CC company. Give that a try.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mh4ll
If you used a credit card to purchase the replacement merchandise, you can usually get copies of your receipts from the CC company. Give that a try.
I don't think the airline is asking for receipts for replacement, they are probably looking for receipts for damaged items.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
I don't think the airline is asking for receipts for replacement, they are probably looking for receipts for damaged items.
In that case the request is absurd -- who keeps receipts for clothes/shoes/the like, which may be years old? The only receipts I archive are for things I might make a warranty or insurance claim on, like expensive electronics or jewelry. I would be shocked if this was outside the norm even among experienced travelers.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:12 am

In that case the request is absurd -- who keeps receipts for clothes/shoes/the like, which may be years old? The only receipts I archive are for things I might make a warranty or insurance claim on, like expensive electronics or jewelry. I would be shocked if this was outside the norm even among experienced travelers.
Shouldn't $700 pay for simple things like shoes/clothes etc?

I don't keep receipts for not-so-expensive stuff, though most stores now keep receipts in customer accounts and I can retrieve receipts for a lot of my stuff.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:15 am

Shouldn't $700 pay for simple things like shoes/clothes etc?

I don't keep receipts for not-so-expensive stuff, though most stores now keep receipts in customer accounts and I can retrieve receipts for a lot of my stuff.
I do agree that the request is absurd, but then airlines also need to keep themselves safe from people who will claim anything (trust me there are enough bad actors around).
Old Dec 30, 2014, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I do agree that the request is absurd, but then airlines also need to keep themselves safe from people who will claim anything (trust me there are enough bad actors around).
Amazingly, bad actors occasionally include FF Elite members.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by formeraa
Amazingly, bad actors occasionally include FF Elite members.
'Bad actor' is a "skill" that comes natural to some people and is totally unrelated to their social / financial / FF status.

I have seen people who make tons of money and / or have OWE/*G status doing things many of us will find unethical.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.