Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ABE: never again

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:43 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
ABE: never again

Save yourself the pain and drive to PHL.

OK, why? Because I have flown in/out of ABE for three consecutive weeks, via PHL. It sounds great, it's only 15 minutes of flight time, if that, so even on an old Dash-8 it's tolerable. The airport is basically empty all the time and security is a breeze.

What they (Captain or FO, I forget) finally admitted last night is that due to its proximity to PHL, and especially for the evening flight, ABE get pushed to the bottom of the stack when the Friday night congestion hits PHL. Last night we pushed late, around 19:10, taxied a bit, then stopped. Oh no, not again. "25 minute ground stop". Groans. My ATL flight leaves at 20:24. We take off around 19:50, circle around PHL, land, park, and it's more or less 20:25 when we dock. Bye Felicia! I made it home via CLT, though the GA handed me a BP for today's PHL/ATL with no hotel accom so I found my own routing home. My bag did not, but it's on the way. Even got upgraded on both segs.

This was the only misconnect due to ATC, but the other two trips, guys, it was really, really close. In every case we had to sit on the ground at ABE for anywhere from 15-30 minutes, then sit some more at PHL, but last night was the worst.

Just drive to/from PHL, or bake in plenty of connection time. I mean a LOT more than you think you'd ever need.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:54 pm

Wink Take only 6am flight

Living in Lehigh Valley, the 6am flight to Phl is only one I take. Otherwise if want to make connection flying from abe I only fly to CLT only. The other flights are the first to be cancelled or delayed to phl. Alt, ord, Dtw flights for other airlines along with Clt are generally on time.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I've had fairly good luck with flights in/out of ABE.

As abeflyer mentioned, the CLT-ABE flight is excellent, especially if it is running with a normal plane (I've been on an A319), with very high upgrade chances.

I've done PHL-ABE and ABE-PHL a few times, didn't have any issues. But those were very late arrivals (like 9pm or later), with departing around 1pm.

That drive to PHL can be a disaster. Between traffic (with accidents) on the freeway, getting gas, returning the car, and dealing with the whole PHL check-in and security process (and people), I'd rather fly from AVP or ABE.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 4:24 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Yes I've done the ABE-CLT flight, kind of a long ride in a CR2, but it beats last night's disaster. Driving to PHL, I guess every time I've done it I've been lucky. Yes getting fuel is a pain in the rear but traffic-wise it was fine.

Hoping I don't have to go back there for a very long time.

Somewhat ironically, I was making fun of DL's canceled DTW flight and UA's 2-hour-delayed ORD flight last night, as mine showed "on time" right up until boarding was supposed to begin. That's the last time I ever do that!
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
I've had fairly good luck with flights in/out of ABE.

As abeflyer mentioned, the CLT-ABE flight is excellent, especially if it is running with a normal plane (I've been on an A319), with very high upgrade chances.
The 319 was replaced by a CR9 about 2 years ago.

I too avoid the Dash into PHL - mostly because it involves Terminally F'd. Most times the connection is either so long CLT is a better option - or so tight that you know better.

The CLT service is really reliable.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 9:04 am
Suspended

I live much closer to ABE and really do wish it was a more full service airport but so far I've always driven to phl.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.