Wiki Posts
Search

New Announcement Prior to Door Closing

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2014, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
New Announcement Prior to Door Closing

I noticed on my flights in the past few days that it seems like there is a new script for the boarding and safety announcements. The phrasing is slightly different than it was before, but the most noticeable thing is that the FA says "This is your final chance to deplane before the main cabin door is closed" Some FAs added "...before our departure to XXX."

I don't remember hearing that on AA, but I might be mistaken.

Has their been a recent rush of people asking to deplane after the door is closed?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
I have noticed it as well, and it always sounds so very strange.

Yesterday on one of my flights I heard the FAs talking in the galley about it- both of them said they are not saying it - it sounds creepy and makes people scared.

I'm wondering what prompted the change.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:50 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

It's been going on for a month or so. Usually draws odd looks from passengers. The first week, I kept hearing FAs that were annoyed with it.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
The revised safety briefing is starting to sound better. It is written to sound conversational, and the first few times they had to read it, I don't think it came off that way.

The last chance to deplane message was a part of the changes, my guess is: consultant.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:46 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
The line was added as a result of the DOT long onboard delay rules that took effect some time ago. The legal standard for these delays is not time elapsed since door closure, but rather time elapsed since passengers last had the ability to deplane. The announcement formally makes people aware that they are able to deplane immediately before door closure, and thus ensures that nobody can later claim that they were on the plane more than 3 hours without the ability to deplane. For example, if passenger X boards 20 minutes prior to door closure, this prevents them from claiming that 3 hours has passed 2:40 after door closure. By clearly establishing that passengers can deplane immediately preceding door closure, the clock can start fresh, unquestionably, at door closure, for compliance with the onboard delay requirements.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 7:24 am

Before opening the thread, just from the title I was guessing that maybe it was a Barclays credit card pitch being made?

I've heard this too; a little weird.

Would be almost worth the cost of a wasted ticket to get a seat in the back one day and run screaming down the aisle and out the door upon the announcement...
Old Nov 11, 2014, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Would be almost worth the cost of a wasted ticket to get a seat in the back one day and run screaming down the aisle and out the door upon the announcement...
^

If someone does this make sure another FlyerTalker is on board with video at the ready.

Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: free agent
A variation I heard last week was: "so, if Philadelphia wasn't in your plans for the day, now is the last chance to fix that"

It got a laugh.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Back in the 70's and 80's, airlines used to routinely make this announcement routinely -- particularly at the newer "hub" airports. At that time, passengers were not as used to dozens of flights leaving at nearly the same time. Before scanners, boarding passes to the wrong destination were not necessarily caught by the agent at the boarding door.

On several occasions, I remember passengers standing up and saying that they were on the wrong plane. Of course, half of them simply didn't realize that they had to make a connection at DEN or ORD or PIT!

That said, I too noticed this announcement last week on US flying PHX-ATL.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
I actually like the new announcement given that boarding in G concourse of ORD with its combined A/B doorways can be confusing. A few weeks ago I was on a flight and the plane was at the A gate, but there were planes parked at both the A and B gates at the same time and they didn't close off where the jet bridges split - 1/2 the passengers ended up on the wrong plane (myself included). Luckily someone realized the mixup and came and got us in time. Just imagine if they were boarding both A and B at the same time.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: AA ExPlt, UA Gold, HH Diamond
Part of the alignment of procedures moving toward Single Operating Certificate. Procedures aligning who, what when and how of door closing, door arming/disarming and on-board annoucnements went into place in late October.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
On my flight to BOS yesterday they said "If BOS is not your destination, this is your last chance to deplane".
I've never heard such an announcement on any airline before.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gordon0808
On my flight to BOS yesterday they said "If BOS is not your destination, this is your last chance to deplane".
I've never heard such an announcement on any airline before.
I have a MR on US this weekend to retain my OWE so I will get to hear many times over the weekend.

On a lighter note, when I deplane in LGB (on arrival, not before departure), and board again in 45 minutes, will the crew recognize me (given the PHX-LGB flight has only 9 seats in F). It may be funny if they asked me, we just managed to kick you out of the plane and you are back?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 2:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I've had a few US and AA flights over the past few days and have yet to hear this announcement.

Was kind of surprised to see the in-flight safety video on a US flight yesterday (on a 757, PHX-PHL). It seemed exactly the same as the video on AA, except for the very beginning.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
I recall this or so,thing similar a few years ago just before the door was closed. I would guess it was AA since that was what comes to mind. a little strange, but does not hurt when you know once a month something weird happens and someone is on the wrong plane

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.