Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2020, 8:13 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Ya. Same here. Barclay is worse than before COVID-19. Guess they have a new hard rule now to not help on annual fees.
Old May 5, 2020, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Don't forget insurance - like car, home, life, medical, dental, vision etc. to add to spend.
Old May 9, 2020, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Pay your credit limit to the IRS (via officialpayments.com), the day after your statement, for a Form 1040 income tax extension.

Then file your return ASAP, hoping for a quick refund
Genius! Thank you for the info.

So you pay the IRS, THEN file a return?
Old May 9, 2020, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Pay your credit limit to the IRS (via officialpayments.com), the day after your statement, for a Form 1040 income tax extension.

Then file your return ASAP, hoping for a quick refund
Is there no fee via officialpayments.com? Only $3.95 for debit card and 1.99% for credit card.

Last edited by RedElmo; May 9, 2020 at 4:07 pm
Old May 14, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by RedElmo
Property Tax on CC has like an extra surcharge. Thought that’s not worth it.

I can maybe see rent on big corporations but not to a private land lord.
This is dependent on the jurisdiction you pay your property tax to and the deal they've cut with their 3rd party CC processor. I have property in two counties in California One charges a1.9% surcharge and the other 2.3% when paying with a CC.

On the basis of cost vs. points cash value, it's a losing deal. But if it helps you meet a spending threshold for status or a bonus, it's an easy way to do a big chunk of spend for very little net cost (after subtracting the value of the miles earned).
Old May 16, 2020, 11:33 pm

Hi!

Few Months ago I renewed my grandfathered US Airways Dividend Miles Mastercard (Now Barclay Aviator Card) that comes with 10k Annual Bonus miles. Is there an end date for this offer. Online I read a blog post saying it ended April 2020. Is this confirmed?
Old Aug 5, 2020, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
My annual fee just came due for the Aviator (which was a grandfathered US Airways Card), I have not received my 10k annual bonus. I only keep this card due to the 10k bonus and the high credit limit (on which I put zero annual spend so it keeps my overall balance % low).

Especially with COVID eliminating my travel, if the 10k has really gone away this card is also going away. I've sent a secure message for clarity and we'll see what they come back with.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Has anybody used their Aviator Silver to pay for a NEXUS renewal and gotten the fee reimbursement? It bills, iirc, the same as Global Entry, so wasn’t sure if it was would credit me the $50.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke787
My annual fee just came due for the Aviator (which was a grandfathered US Airways Card), I have not received my 10k annual bonus. I only keep this card due to the 10k bonus and the high credit limit (on which I put zero annual spend so it keeps my overall balance % low).

Especially with COVID eliminating my travel, if the 10k has really gone away this card is also going away. I've sent a secure message for clarity and we'll see what they come back with.
Got a response:

Upon review of your account, we show that you have the ability to earn 10,000 anniversary miles after a purchase is made within your new anniversary year and the annual fee of $99 has posted and been paid.

This seems like new language to me. Not a big deal in the big picture (buy something small off Amazon) but I don't remember them informing me of that change and never recall having that stipulation in the past (I know last year I didn't use the card at all but deemed it worth the $99 for the 10k miles and free bag on the couple of AA flights I booked with BA Avios).
Old Aug 6, 2020, 12:48 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Wasn't the 10K annual bonus supposed to have gone away by now? Or was this the final installment?
Old Aug 6, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Has anybody used their Aviator Silver to pay for a NEXUS renewal and gotten the fee reimbursement? It bills, iirc, the same as Global Entry, so wasn’t sure if it was would credit me the $50.
Old thread, but the answer appears to be No. Same with SENTRI application fee, I believe. Would be nice. I just reapplied (NY resident fun) for NEXUS, paying with another card that reimburses Pre/GE.

Nexus vs GE: for Credit Card Reimbursements
Old Aug 6, 2020, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moe8555
Wasn't the 10K annual bonus supposed to have gone away by now? Or was this the final installment?
Yeah I'm not sure. They don't seem sure either:

Upon review of your account, we show the previous benefit was to receive 10,000 anniversary miles with no requirement needed to be made. However, we sent out a letter to all customers in May of 2019 of this as well as other benefits such was the EQD's and $100 flight discount after spending $30,000 between your anniversary dates were no longer a benefit on our Avaitor Red Mastercards.
This response also makes no sense because I collected my 10k miles last year in July which was after the announced change (which apparently I missed)
Old Aug 10, 2020, 3:45 pm

Programs: Avianca Brazil Diamond, Etihad Gold, Southwest CC Pass, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Called to cancel my Barclay Arrival Plus on 8/10/2020. Only had 2,300 miles in my account currently. Was offered an additional 2,500 miles to keep the account opened. I only had minimal spending on the card for the initial bonus. Agent rounded my current miles up to 2,500 and allowed that to be redeemed for a $25 statement credit. Closed the account.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 9:08 pm

Churn Rate of Red Card

Can someone please tell me the churn rate for the Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red Card. I had my last and only bonus on this card 25 months ago. Is the churn rate 24 months? Or 48 months? And is it from bonus date? Or card closed date?

I read the application and it was very vague with no specific number of months.

Thank you so much, in advance, for your help.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by ScottCa596
Can someone please tell me the churn rate for the Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red Card. I had my last and only bonus on this card 25 months ago. Is the churn rate 24 months? Or 48 months? And is it from bonus date? Or card closed date?

I read the application and it was very vague with no specific number of months.

Thank you so much, in advance, for your help.

I thought this card was once per lifetime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.