Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 17, 2015, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"Above and Beyind" Certificates for Exceptional Service

Originally Posted by sbbutler93
Can pmAA employees benefit from A+Bs or just pmUS? Or did the certificate programs from both merge together as well? I have a bunch of pmAA routes in the near future.
All of us have a bunch of AA flights in our future (after 16 October); the truly good news for AA and US employees is that the new AA has adopted US Airways' "Above and Beyond" employee recognition program for all.

The program, which is changing name from AA's less well received "Round of Applause" program that allowed winners of monthly drawings to earn 25,000 AAdvantage miles (and pay the Federal taxes due on contest winnings at AA's valuation of 25,000 miles) has transitioned into the more familiar "Above and Beyond" legacy US Airways program.

"AA has adopted the US Air(ways) program so the drawings, which used to be monthly, are now quarterly. The drawings used to be for 25k miles but now it is various monetary sums...."
  • 10 employees $10,000 each
  • 100 employees $1,000 each
  • 250 employees $250 each
Verified and originally posted by sukn and NovaEngr.
Now that AA's "Round of Applause" employee recognition certificate program has been merged into and been superseded by the U.S. "Above and Beyond" employee recognition certificate program, please follow the current discussion here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html, in the American Airlines | AAdvantage Combined Airline and Program forum.

We'll not want to lose the valuable information herein, so we'll merge this thread into the Combined one soon.

Active thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html

Thank you,

/AA Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

Above and Beyond Certificates (now AA & US - see Combined forum)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Location: Live in Downeast Maine. Work in New Orleans, Gulf of Mexico
Above and Beyond Certificates (now AA & US - see Combined forum)

Just wondering,

I have been very happy with the customer service provided recently on some US flights, both onboard the plane and at the checkin counter.

I have filled out these cards and handed them to the employee whom I thought did a good job. Do these cards make a difference?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by Flyer69
Just wondering,

I have been very happy with the customer service provided recently on some US flights, both onboard the plane and at the checkin counter.

I have filled out these cards and handed them to the employee whom I thought did a good job. Do these cards make a difference?
Yes, each card gets the employee an entry into a raffle (I believe quarterly) with various prizes including cash. From what I remember reading, some of the prizes are rather valuable. It also ends up going to their manager / HR if I recall.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Flyer69
Just wondering,

We recently gave one to a flight attendant & he told us that he won a drawing for some money a couple years back.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: US Airways
Originally Posted by gruss
Yes, each card gets the employee an entry into a raffle (I believe quarterly) with various prizes including cash. From what I remember reading, some of the prizes are rather valuable. It also ends up going to their manager / HR if I recall.
That's good to know. Service isn't overly consistent when you fly, and some of the flight attendants or gate staff def deserve them.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: I miss US Airways
It also ends up going to their manager / HR if I recall.
A GA once asked me to also write a compliment letter to CS as well saying that A+B don't get permanently placed in their file. Perhaps a resident GA/FA can enlighten us.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Gold SPG Gold HHonors Gold
I handed out a few last week for not charging me for an over weight bag and another for helping me get confirmed on an earlier flight. They seemed appreciative both times.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by sbbutler93
A GA once asked me to also write a compliment letter to CS as well saying that A+B don't get permanently placed in their file. Perhaps a resident GA/FA can enlighten us.
Hmm, good to know. I'll keep that in mind.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: Free Agent
I also like to send a personalized email to USAirways (the preferred email address on your card). I usually get a personalized response from customer service noting that my email is included in their HR file.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
If you encounter exceptionally good service, it is always good to write a quick note to the airline.

However, there is one caveat: if the TA/GA/FA bent/broke a rule for you, don't mention the specifics. For example, if the TA made a ticket change without charging the change fee, it is best to just mention they helped resolve a difficult situation and the "excellent service" that they provided. Do NOT mention that they broke the rule for you because you might get them in trouble.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by formeraa
If you encounter exceptionally good service, it is always good to write a quick note to the airline.

However, there is one caveat: if the TA/GA/FA bent/broke a rule for you, don't mention the specifics. For example, if the TA made a ticket change without charging the change fee, it is best to just mention they helped resolve a difficult situation and the "excellent service" that they provided. Do NOT mention that they broke the rule for you because you might get them in trouble.
^
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I just handed over my first A&B to a flight attendant on an international flight last week. She seemed really quite happy receiving it -- the kind of happiness that comes when you do not expect something. I encounter a lot of agents and F/As that do a lot to make me happy; I don't think I'll be so stingy with them in the future. (And by stingy, I mean forgetting to bring them with me.)

Originally Posted by formeraa
Do NOT mention that they broke the rule for you because you might get them in trouble.
Yikes! Do they really get in much trouble if the customer is so thrilled that he/she writes in to praise the employee that helped out?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by dml105
Yikes! Do they really get in much trouble if the customer is so thrilled that he/she writes in to praise the employee that helped out?
It's certainly possible. I had an agent move me up from an overnight connection to a same-day non-stop for no fee when I had plans change in the middle of a trip and I was done hours early.

I handed the agent an A&B but it just said "for excellent service". In reality the agent cost the airline a change fee + fare difference which, that close in, probably would have been $500+. I'm sure that would get a talking-to by a supervisor. But at the same time I would like the agent to get some kind of positive recognition for going out of their way to help me.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
In reality the agent cost the airline a change fee + fare difference which, that close in, probably would have been $500+. I'm sure that would get a talking-to by a supervisor. But at the same time I would like the agent to get some kind of positive recognition for going out of their way to help me.
That's not necessarily true. If you were told it would've cost you $500 for the change, would you have taken it? Maybe, but I think many people would not. So, if the agent stuck by her guns in this situation, for many, the airline would not have the $500 and would also have an unhappy customer. By making the customer happy, the GA may have created a repeat customer, generating much more revenue than $500 for the airline over the long term.

These are the types of things that can't be measured though, so many number crunchers forget about them.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
The A&B cards are entered into a quarterly drawing. 10 winners receive $10,000 each. 100 winners receive $1000 each. 250 winners receive $250 each.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Location: Live in Downeast Maine. Work in New Orleans, Gulf of Mexico
Thanks for all the great replies! I am glad the program makes a difference for them! I will be sure to keep using them!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.