Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US Airways first class upgrade APP for US Preferred and AAdvantage Elites

US Airways first class upgrade APP for US Preferred and AAdvantage Elites

Old Jul 2, 2014, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Also, keep in mind that this will all probably stop working once the two dividend miles programs are merged. I'd be surprised if the same loopholes were still in place in whatever the combined program looks like. So take advantage of it while you can.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by robotdinosaur
US Airways always holds at least one seat in the first row for revenue, so at least one usually opens up the day of the flight.
This is very wrong. While there's usually one seat assignment in the first row held back for disabled pax there's very rarely a seat available for sale at T-24.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Well my experiment is over. I was upgraded for my flight today at the gold window, but I set up a test alert on EF and this app.

Results:

Got the EF email yesterday showing the open seats. Confirmed availability during OLCI at T-24.

The app notified me at T-5. However those seats have already been assigned.

+1 for Expert Flyer
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Flying DFW-CLT today, F full, I had set up both an ExpertFlyer seat email alert and a Notifly alert on my Android.

Notifly alerted first and I was able to snag the seat up front. (And without guilt, I was #1 on the upgrade waitlist anyway). I guess I got it in between ExpertFlyer checks, because I never got an email from them until 3 hours later, when a different F seat opened.

The best strategy, if you don't mind just a little extra effort, would seem to be to use both.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Michael El
I bet he doesn't know the first rule of Fight Club either.
Ain't that the truth. This AA elite (rarely ever flew US before) learned of this trick because of this thread.

Thanks OP! ^
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Thumbs up

As US metal flights wind to a close, I'd like to issue one more public Thank You to robotdinosaur.

The tool did lose some usefulness once US started blocking an F seat until closer to departure, but in all, between my girlfriend and I, we probably scored a dozen or so upgrades thanks to the Notifly app that we wouldn't have gotten otherwise.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swag
As US metal flights wind to a close, I'd like to issue one more public Thank You to robotdinosaur.

The tool did lose some usefulness once US started blocking an F seat until closer to departure, but in all, between my girlfriend and I, we probably scored a dozen or so upgrades thanks to the Notifly app that we wouldn't have gotten otherwise.
You're welcome. And to everyone who asked, I apologize for never getting around to porting it to the iPhone.

I'm quite sad about the end of unlimited upgrades .
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I must have missed this thread about the app., but this is one of the biggest things I'll miss about US> I'll load the mobile upgrade page on my browser on flight day and just refresh it every once in a while. While I've been about 30-40% on pre-cleared upgrades, I've ended up in F about 80% of the flights this year.

I don't look forward to the change.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Agreed... thank you for putting together this very helpful tool! I'd say that about 80% of the times I used it, I was simply 'defending' my position as #1 on the list. Hugely helpful!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.