Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing frequent flyer number on award ticket

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2014, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

I was just given complimentary us airways gold status for 90 days. I have a flight coming up I booked with avios. I know the trick of changing the British airways ff# to American but was wondering if it's possible to change it to us airways to take advantage of my new found status? Finnair doesn't show us airways when I tried changing the ff#.
Old May 7, 2014, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Try the Qatar Airways' site instead of Finnair's site.
Old May 7, 2014, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Qatar won't let me do it, just tried it. Thank you for the help though.
Old May 8, 2014, 3:55 am

Programs: US Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Did you try on the US website? -- Log-into your account, then click Travel Tools (on home page), then Manage Flights (on drop down), Enter your confirmation number, date of flight, and name. On the next screen you should see a link to change passenger info - click that link and then scroll down a bit and you should see where you can change the FF program and number.
Old May 9, 2014, 4:30 am

Can someone please explain the reason to do this. From what I gather book award ticket using USDM then change the ff to let's say BA or CX. What is the purpose and advantage of doing this. Thanks
Old May 9, 2014, 5:35 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rocket69
Can someone please explain the reason to do this. From what I gather book award ticket using USDM then change the ff to let's say BA or CX. What is the purpose and advantage of doing this. Thanks
I believe it is done to use your status on another airline to book better seats and receive better perks. For example, using your US Airways Chairman status (aka oneworld Emerald) on a BA Avios booked coach award where you have no status. That would get you extra baggage allowance, fast track security, etc.
Old May 9, 2014, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by McSam18
I believe it is done to use your status on another airline to book better seats and receive better perks. For example, using your US Airways Chairman status (aka oneworld Emerald) on a BA Avios booked coach award where you have no status. That would get you extra baggage allowance, fast track security, etc.
Thanks.

Can someone walk me through how to change details on the qatar site. Thanks.
Old May 9, 2014, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by McSam18
Originally Posted by rocket69

Correct, I was given gold status so trying to get some of the benefits on my British airways award ticket. I was able to undo the ff # from British airways using Finnair. However, it was only at check in that I could put in my us airways ff # to get the benefits. I'd like to find an easier way to change over like can be done using American if possible though.
Old May 9, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by RMINIONE
Did you try on the US website? -- Log-into your account, then click Travel Tools (on home page), then Manage Flights (on drop down), Enter your confirmation number, date of flight, and name. On the next screen you should see a link to change passenger info - click that link and then scroll down a bit and you should see where you can change the FF program and number.
My Avios booking says "This reservation can only be changed by calling reservations at 800-428-4322." and doesn't have a "Change Passenger Info" link. I'll check again tomorrow in case it has to do with ticketing.
Old May 11, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by oopsz
My Avios booking says "This reservation can only be changed by calling reservations at 800-428-4322." and doesn't have a "Change Passenger Info" link. I'll check again tomorrow in case it has to do with ticketing.
FYI: Use the steps listed here (and in the next few posts) to undo a BA number and add an AA or US number.
Old May 13, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: US Airways Gold Preferred, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Gold
Anyone have any tips on removing my AA number and adding my US Airways number for an award ticket booked with AA miles?
Old May 13, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RMPearl
Anyone have any tips on removing my AA number and adding my US Airways number for an award ticket booked with AA miles?
For future reference, just don't put your AA number on it in the first place. When you book online, your AA number is pre-filled on the form, but you can just blank it out. When you've accidentally left it filled in, you can phone AA and get them to remove it.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 8:03 am

Just FYI, Finnair's website now has US Airways as an option for the FF#. You can use that site to change a BA award booking to contain your USDM# if you'd like.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:21 am

Been trying to change US ff number on a USDM award ticket to QF ff, but kept getting error Start Over - happened a few days now. Tried QR and RJ but no success either. Is there a problem with doing this? Thanks.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
You can definitely do this at online check in. I've done it 4x in the past month on Avios tickets to affix my US# for some elite benefits, like extra baggage or preferred seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.