Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways BoA Visa changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: US - Gold Preferred, leisuring and MRing for status :-)
I noticed this change, as well, and BofA customer service only mentioned that it was an internal account change and that my actual card number would be staying the same. I would have liked a heads-up, too, because it seemed like the card was changing to a generic BofA Visa card. After a few days, logging in reflected it being a US Airways Visa again. Glad you heard it was going to be an AA/US card. She did not mention that!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Same here.
Ok, mine has changed to some generic card but with the same account number.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: DL, US
Mine is still the same.
Old May 5, 2014, 3:37 pm

Just received a new Visa card along with a new account number, but it is still a USAirways Visa.
Old May 5, 2014, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Ah, remember the old "Bankamericard" days, before it was Visa? I was told the name change occurred because other countries were (1) not America or (2) hostile to BoA.
Old May 5, 2014, 11:49 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
I got new cards, new numbers -- the card still indicates USAirways Signature.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 7:49 pm

I just got a letter today about the new card.

Your World Just Got Bigger

We're excited about the merger of US Airways and American Airlines. Through the merger integration and beyond, we will continue to bring you the exceptional benefits and rewards you have come to expect with your US Airways Visa Signature Card.

You'll be happy to know that nothing has changed with the Dividend Miles you've accumulated or the miles you're currently earning. Your existing Dividend Miles and any new miles you earn are secure. Most important, the credit card program is not going away. It's getting better!

NEW! Now you can enjoy your first eligible checked bag free -- for you and up to 4 companions on domestic US Airways operated flights.

NEW! You can now earn Dividend Miles when flying on US Airways and American flights when you use your Dividend Miles number.

NEW! Redeem miles for US Airways and American flights when you book through USAirways.com or by calling US Airways Reservations at 1.800.428.4322.

Make sure you activate and keep using the US Airways Visa Signature card we recently sent you. It's the only card that gives you access to exclusive benefits on US Airways like the ability to earn Dividend Miles for every dollar you spend.

Be on the lookout for information about new benefits coming soon.

As always, we thank you for your loyalty and appreciate your business.

----

I won't transcribe the disclaimers; they just note you should change recurring charges to the new card number, and has the disclaimers for the free bag.

It is weird that BofA can still maintain these accounts.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 3:05 pm
Original Member

Well, I decided to finally bail on this card. The value proposition for the $90 annual fee is not there any longer. I'll convert over to a new AA card or cards with some intro bonuses. Just cancelled mine last night. RIP. Had the card for 20 years. It was my first FF card.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
So I wonder what type of FICO score we're going to take on closing out these cards. The Barclay's card that I have (one of them) is my longest held credit card (outside of my Amex). I think I've had it since probably about '97.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy BoA Visa being Converted to Barclay's MC

Got snail mail today letting me know that my BoA US Airways Visa card is being converted to Barclay's US Airways MC on Jan 26 2015. Going to lose 10K PQM after $25K spend hurts a bit, but companion certificate was my bread and butter. The letter did say my Barclay's Welcome Kit will include a Companion Certificate, which will be the final Companion Ticket provided under the rewards program.

I didn't expect but I hoped us legacy BoA cardholders would slip under the radar. Don't really need another Barclay's MC -- Heck, I'm not even sure I'm going to keep the Barclays I already have.

FICO gonna take a little hit if I cancel two cards that I've held for so many years.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
Uugghh...
Just got my notice today as well. What's really annoying is the first line-
'We are proud to announce an exciting change to your US Airways Dividend Miles Card'

Really? Exciting for whom?
Go down a few paragraphs-
No longer earn PQM's. Well that's not good or exciting right?
No longer can use First Class check in. Well that's not good or exciting right?
Companion Certs discontinued. Well that's not good or exciting
right?
Do the people that write these letters think we're idiots?

I'm trying to understand why I should be excited about this new card.
I too counted on the companion certs each year.

I'm curious if people have kept the Barclay's card or changed to what?
What will happen when AA and US FFP's are fully merged? Will the Barclays Dividend Miles card be canceled and changed to an AA card?

I'm thinking the annual fee too is no longer worth it for this card. I'll probably investigate Capitol One or something that allows you to redeem points on any airline.
Does anyone have any experience with other cards they like and recommend?

Very sad as I've been with US and this card for a long time.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

I'm probably switching all my spend to SPG Amex

20K SPG Amex points ==> 25K most airlines miles

$30K spend gets me SPG Gold
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:23 pm

I got the letter too. I'm probably just going to close it when the annual fee is up. I already have a Citi AA card.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:24 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by mkole
Got snail mail today letting me know that my BoA US Airways Visa card is being converted to Barclay's US Airways MC on Jan 26 2015. Going to lose 10K PQM after $25K spend hurts a bit, but companion certificate was my bread and butter. The letter did say my Barclay's Welcome Kit will include a Companion Certificate, which will be the final Companion Ticket provided under the rewards program.

I didn't expect but I hoped us legacy BoA cardholders would slip under the radar. Don't really need another Barclay's MC -- Heck, I'm not even sure I'm going to keep the Barclays I already have.

FICO gonna take a little hit if I cancel two cards that I've held for so many years.
Do you have the Barclays US Airways MC already?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 8:24 pm

I just received the same letter. For me, I haven't been charged an annual fee on my Visa for over 10 years. I don't know if it was a mistake or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.