Just Witnessed US Accident at PHL [13 Mar 2014]

Old Mar 13, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by Jay K
Good tips re: keeping things in pockets pa3lsvt and Groundstop.

Did you eventually get all your stuff back? Or were things "ruined" by some flame retardant foam, or they just never returned items left? Quite curious.
Or was your stuff stolen like

http://blog.sfgate.com/crime/2014/03...-crash-at-sfo/
Old Mar 13, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by mbece
I'm not asking them to think rationally, but to pay attention and follow simple directions.
Originally Posted by pogonation
I never understand why a lot of people act like this in a crash. It seems many people grab their bags and loads of them just casually walk away from the slide as well.... If it were me I would be getting out of that door ASAP (which means no bags) and then running as fast as I could away from the aircraft, regardless of how good the shape of the aircraft looks!
Originally Posted by AZbba
They should criminally charge the pax who took bags with them for failure to follow crewmember instructions. That'll teach em.

The stress response is unpredictable and not always rational.

I just returned from a business conference where someone gave an account of an IT administrator carrying a server (computer, not waiter) out of the WTC on 9/11 because the nightly backups had failed the night before. Many years ago I was in a major fire in a restaurant I managed; I evacuated the staff before leaving the building, and on the way out I made sure to turn off the coffee machine. Your priorities get mixed up when you're pumped full of adrenaline. The FA's at UA are trained to just let people go with whatever they're carrying when they reach the door; trying to get someone to leave that bag behind could turn into a 20-second debate and those 20 seconds may mean someone's life. I would imagine US FA's get similar training. The FA's tell people to leave things behind but can't be everywhere all at the same time, or might not be heard over the commotion, or the message might not sink in. They should be manning the exits and helping passengers, not policing the overhead bins.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
I watched 6ABC's coverage just now on the 11 PM newscast.

They showed a video of evac through the overwing exits. One woman was assisted (almost pulled) through the exit door by someone - probably able bodied passenger - on the wing. She then proceeds to try to go back through the door and had to be physically pulled away and sent off the wing. The video cut before I could tell if anyone else was behind her evacuating. Can't understand what she was thinking.

I also noticed most pax running once off the wing or slides. That's a good thing but it appears many thought the plane was actually on fire. Many had bags, even with the apparent awareness of the fire risk.

A replacement flight to FLL was provided at 10. Reporter says flight had "unexpected problems" delayed that flight past 11:30. Can you imagine having your replacement flight after an aborted takeoff and evac go MX? That must be a special corollary to Murphy's Law.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Unhappy

After effects:

I was on the Las Vegas Philly flight due into PHL at 7 this evening.

After getting diverted to Harrisburg, we sat there for about 90 minutes while we were refueled. Got into PHL around 9:30. Probably half the plane is spending the night here, missed last connections of the day. Thinking about it, I might put my backpack on, but my suitcase? no way.

The ripples from this are incredible. The number of flights and people at this one location alone.

I want to mention I spoke with the Admirals Club staff who had to evacuate. They were calm professional and got people to MOVE! They in turn had nothing but praise for the US Air people who helped everyone in their lounge.

Wonder whether I get an extra segment for stopping in Harrisburg? @:-)
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by Thumper
I want to mention I spoke with the Admirals Club staff who had to evacuate. They were calm professional and got people to MOVE! They in turn had nothing but praise for the US Air people who helped everyone in their lounge.
Yeah, what happened over there, anyway? I saw a bunch of fire vehicles there but with all the other activity just assumed it was a command post for the US 1702 incident. But now that you mention this I do recall the A-West US Club starting to make AA boarding announcements around 7:30 or 8pm and I thought that odd but I know the AC closes relatively early in the evening as AA-operated departures taper off.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
Originally Posted by Jay K
Good tips re: keeping things in pockets pa3lsvt and Groundstop.

Did you eventually get all your stuff back? Or were things "ruined" by some flame retardant foam, or they just never returned items left? Quite curious.
Originally Posted by f0xx
If I recall correctly, after being bussed to the international arrivals terminal and clearing immigration (a lengthier procedure for those who had left their passports on the plane) we waited in the baggage claim area for 2-3hrs while they figured out how to reunite us with our bags (I recall getting zero cell phone reception down there the whole time).

Eventually, they announced they were going to tow the plane to a gate and hook up the jet bridge so that we could go back on and collect our belongings. They did this in small groups (10-15 at a time) and as I recall a number of passengers were quite irate about not being among the first few onboard as they were worried about other passengers potentially stealing their stuff.

I had been seated in row 6 so not sure if any foam retardant had got inside the plane towards the back / over wing doors where the dousing had occurred but I would imagine they wouldn't have let us back on board if that were the case.

All in all, it was quite an exhilarating experience and one I will not forget - again, thankful that it wasn't more serious.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by GroundStop
I was in just such an incident at ORD back in 2010 on a UA 767, landing gear caught fire after landing. As pa3lsvt suggests, I had my phone, wallet and passport (Int'l flight) in my pockets thankfully. I would also suggest also keeping your SHOES on for takeoff and landing!
That's the exact reason I keep my shoes on during takeoff and landing. I know the chances of happening are low, but I keep thinking that the one time I take my shoes off early, something will happen.

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
I watched 6ABC's coverage just now on the 11 PM newscast.

They showed a video of evac through the overwing exits. One woman was assisted (almost pulled) through the exit door by someone - probably able bodied passenger - on the wing. She then proceeds to try to go back through the door and had to be physically pulled away and sent off the wing. The video cut before I could tell if anyone else was behind her evacuating. Can't understand what she was thinking.
I think I saw the same video but longer, there was a guy after her. However, I'm not sure she was going back, she might have tripped and started falling backwards or something since the wing wasn't level.

It was interesting the one guy helping on the front slide. Helping people at the bottom of the slide with one hand and holding his suitcase with the other.

But again, you can't predict how people will think in that kind of situation. I'm pretty use to grabbing my bag when I get off the plane, who's to say I wouldn't do it out of habit.

Last edited by eng3; Mar 13, 2014 at 11:38 pm
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:30 pm

And it seems odd the plane lifted off before the pilot aborted. My impression was that after V1 the pilot should not abort except for very, very limited circumstances like double engine failure, ect.
Just a guess as I have zero piloting experience but maybe he had this on his mind; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigeria...ys_Flight_2120

Plane blew tire on take off. It caught fire and burned apart in mid air before they could get back around. Many safety advances since then... Just saying.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:46 am

Programs: QF Gold
The call centre has gone into meltdown, 4 hours now it just says "sorry we want to give you the best experience, but due to todays travel conditions we cant take your call"
Old Mar 14, 2014, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by swag
US 1702 to FLL.

CBS Philly suggests possibly caused by a blown tire.
Right, they did not change a new tires. It wasn't their fault. No one who blame them. They didn't taking own responsiblity to change a new tires. They didn't check the tires.

Originally Posted by mromalley
And the kids with no supervision
Luckily, the kids is doing well. There is no injures, but they don't need a medical condition.

Originally Posted by GEXPO
The woman is clearly carrying at least two bags. That was a conscious, disturbing decision that could've endangered the lives of others. Seen it too often, maybe more emphasis on this in the safety video is required?
Yes, they are required to play the video, camera and etc.

Originally Posted by DCdeacon
That's an A320 - Definitely not 189 Passengers on that thing!
Right, It is A320 aircraft. Did you find the registration number?

Originally Posted by CREN
Yep! Just shows you how inaccurate reports are. CBS was claiming it was a 737. 149 seems more logical yet I think they usually hold low 140s.
Right, it was 149 passengers, 4 FA, and captain & the pilot.

They should criminally charge the pax who took bags with them for failure to follow crewmember instructions. That'll teach em.
Yeah, they can't be taking the bags off the plane. they have to leave behind. They will retrieve the bags right after they done the investigating by FAA, NTSB and DOT. They should know better. They did not follow the flight crew instructions. They have listen to the flight crew.

Originally Posted by PaceLaw2012
Hey PHLWookie, you got quoted on CNN:

"A witness in an airport terminal, posting to the online travel community FlyerTalk.com, reported seeing the plane "bounce twice on takeoff."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/13/us/phi...html?hpt=hp_t2
Indeed, it is. He is very good investigation. He saw what happened at PHL today. He will tell the news reporters, and news media, as well.

Originally Posted by george 3
Any one know if Sully was left stick?
No, He already retired. He's exhausted. He will tell the story. He is very good witness. He will hear the story. I'm sure he will watch the news.

Originally Posted by davem4
The call centre has gone into meltdown, 4 hours now it just says "sorry we want to give you the best experience, but due to todays travel conditions we cant take your call"
Right now, they are very busy to change the flights, re-route, and etc.

Also, there is passengers who told the Channel 7 News South Florida. They have a conversation with the news reporters from South Florida. The flight is being canceled tonight.

http://www.wsvn.com/story/24971400/j...lure-in-philly
Old Mar 14, 2014, 2:04 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Belgian press reports 12 firefighters from Belgium on board, on the way to a training. They were able to help evacuate the aircraft, no details on what they did exactly.

Last edited by Ghentleman; Mar 14, 2014 at 3:04 am
Old Mar 14, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Thumper
Thinking about it, I might put my backpack on.
So your backback is more important than your life?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
So your backback is more important than your life?
Are there lots of cases where people died because they grabbed their backpack?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
Are there lots of cases where people died because they grabbed their backpack?
Quite a few examples, including of deaths, in this 2004 report: http://flightsafety.org/ccs/ccs_may-june04.pdf
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by GEXPO
Quite a few examples, including of deaths, in this 2004 report: http://flightsafety.org/ccs/ccs_may-june04.pdf
Your report sites a fatty got stuck in the door with his/her bag. If said person wasn't fat, he/she would have fit through the door just fine.

Rule of the story? Don't be fat and you'll live.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.