Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just Witnessed US Accident at PHL [13 Mar 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Thank goodness there was no fire...with a full load of fuel. Awaiting more details. Thanks to the OP for the heads-up on this. Hope you get where you're headed tonight.
Fortunately, I actually just arrived recently but headed to the club to take work calls and catch up on stuff. A lot of folks will be getting out here late tonight.

Winds were high when I landed, but the landing was pretty normal and nothing that had concerned me at the time.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
US 1702 to FLL.

CBS Philly suggests possibly caused by a blown tire.

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I'm looking at some photos that have been posted on twitter. Just like in the Asiana SFO crash, I see people coming down with bags. Are they idiots? Seriously, they were lucky there was no fire here but had there been one, this could've put people at risk.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
I guess people didn't read the safety card section about leaving your belongings on the plane during evacuation.

Hope everone is OK, but leave the damn bags.
And the kids with no supervision
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:17 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Landing gear failed.

Live feed here: http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/live-video/
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by skunker
I guess people didn't read the safety card section about leaving your belongings on the plane during evacuation.

Hope everone is OK, but leave the damn bags.
After Asiana I asked a a FA friend about this. He states that they will stop people from getting things from bins or under seats if they see them, but if someone reaches the door with a bag they will not stop them or request they leave the bag behind. The damage is already done and correcting the passenger at that point only slows everyone else down. Let them go unless the bag is slowing them down or could damage the slide. Since people are trained to not leave bags unattended, don't leave your laptop if you go to the restroom at Starbucks etc, it is likely a reflex action that people knee-jerk into taking their bags with them. I try not to judge, since it is a really high stress situation and people do all sorts of weird stuff when they are panicked. I had a friend who called 911 when a car caught on fire in an alley behind my house; he shouted FIRE then hung up. Without telling them where.

I hope everyone is ok.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:21 pm

Fox 29 is reporting only 3 minor injuries as a result of the aborted takeoff out of 189 passengers and 5 crew members.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
In route from phx; we were notified one runway is open and an incident occurred. Currently in a holding pattern.

Last edited by lemfc; Mar 13, 2014 at 5:25 pm Reason: The stupid wink face was an iPhone typo
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by swag
US 1702 to FLL.

CBS Philly suggests possibly caused by a blown tire.
Speculation at this point. If it's that, it might have ingested debris into one or more engines, or have been an attempted late aborted takeoff complicated by the high winds. One thing I noted earlier, prior to the accident, was the short amount of pavement needed to take off from 27L and the rapid rate of climb out of the airport amidst the strong winds.

I am not qualified in aerodynamics or piloting to make strong assertions here, though, so take that for what it's worth.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by fL1Pm0d3
The woman is clearly carrying at least two bags. That was a conscious, disturbing decision that could've endangered the lives of others. Seen it too often, maybe more emphasis on this in the safety video is required?
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CREN
Fox 29 is reporting only 3 minor injuries as a result of the aborted takeoff out of 189 passengers and 5 crew members.
Fantastic news. From what I saw, they definitely had a bumpy ride out there.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by phlwookie

Update 6:28pm, listening to tower in LiveATC.net ... aircraft evacuating, emergency vehicles en route, people walking around near aircraft.

Couldn't find it in liveatc, can you post a like? Thanks!
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:31 pm

If I were king, anyone carrying personal items off during an emergency evacuation would get to watch as those things are then shredded. That woman in front is holding not one, but two bags. What an idiot.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
There already a thread about it in PMUS forum...
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CREN
That's an A320 - Definitely not 189 Passengers on that thing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.