Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321 (legacy US Airways A321-200) master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DenverBrian
AA (legacy US Airways) Airbus A321-200 "321"

The older legacy US Airways Airbus A321-200 is shown as "321" in AA schedules. (Newer legacy AA A321s are listed as "32B" as they have "Sharklet" wingtip devices installed, and include two class A321S and A321H ETOPS and three class A321T transcontinental versions.)

NOTE: in accordance with AA “Project Oasis” all A321-200s will be retrofitted between 2019 and 2021. Business / First cabins will use the seats found today in the AA A319, with reduced seat pitch and recline. MCE and MC will have the Rockwell Collins slimline Meridian seats with reduced pitch and recline. Lavatories will be ultra-slim Rockwell Collins Spacewall lavs. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21 for further information.

As conversion begins we will start a new thread, and you should be able to see which configuration a particular aircraft has by referencing the (unofficial) American Airlines Fleet Site here.

The legacy US Airways A321s are currently unmodified, though a few have been reupholstered, have new carpeting and bulkhead liners. These have less seat pitch and recline in the First cabin, no Main Cabin Extra seats other than the few with greater seat pitch (e.g. bulkhead / 5, Exit rows 9, 10, 22, and 23) and have neither seatback IFE nor at seat power provisions. They do have GoGo WiFi and free streaming audio and video entertainment for your WiFi capable devices..

Note 10 ABC (fixed armrests with deploying trays) or F, 23 A and F seem to be preferred by some members.

Please see AA to install same new seats in 737-800s and A321s but add more of them for information on the plan to install new B/E Aerospace Meridian slimline seats in a denser pattern and 30" seat pitch in Main Cabin in 2019. (We will dedicate a thread to the CIP / modified A321 when that aircraft becomes current with the AA fleet.)

The A320-321 refurbishment thread may be read here.

Older posts from 2014 and 2015 have been archived here.

Updated 31 Jan 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321 (legacy US Airways A321-200) master thread

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by fastflyer
Do the legacy US Airbus 321s not have even audio channels? I always have my noise-cancelling headphones, but I don't always have my tablet.

I understand that there is no visual IFE on these aircraft because they never had the monitors installed like on most pmAA equipment, but I did think they had at least the audio IFE.
Short answer: No, there's no audio on them either.

Long answer: The 28 LUS (East) 321s delivered in 2001 had both audio and video IFE with LCD screens (similar to most LAA 738s). Post HP merger, in 2008 a decision was made to not only deactivate these systems, but remove them entirely, which also rendered the Empower in-seat power ports inactive too, as the IFE system was what supplied power to them.

The other 65 321s that were delivered to a mix of both US West and US East starting in 2009 and running through 2015 were delivered without any IFE of any kind.

However, all versions had wifi installed in 2011.
Old May 12, 2016, 12:28 pm
mlm

anyone familiar with LAX to PHL on A321 ?

AA changed our routing to Barcelona (schedule change). We're now routed from LAX to PHL on an A321 in F class. There's only 4 rows in F class which makes me a bit nervous (as in old plane).

The AA reps don't seem to know anything about the A321 aircraft. There are 3 different versions of A321. Wondering if anyone has flown LAX to PHL on A321? I'm primarily interested in the recline of the seat and the entertainment. The only seats left are the last row, 4 A&C or row 1 bulkhead A&C..
Thank you.
Old May 12, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
No IFE. There is WIFI. The recline is the standard Domestic recline (don't expect lie-flat). The age of them can vary, but it should be from this century.
Old May 12, 2016, 12:57 pm

Old PMUS metal. Don't get too excited.

What is your whole itinerary, is this an award or revenue ticket, and what was the schedule change? Have you explored other options that might be applicable?
Old May 12, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Can you not reroute LAX-JFK-BCN for a better inflight option on the domestic leg?
Old May 12, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, UA LT Gold, Hertz PC, 5 MM+ miles
More Frequent Flyers Need to Speak Up

I sent a note to AA Customer Service about the lack of any entertainment systems on a 5-1/2 transcontinental flight. The response said they were sorry the entertainment system wasn't working. I think we all need to keep reminding them of the need to upgrade their legacy US Air A-321's, especially for long-distance service. Here's the followup email I just sent:

Michael (or whatever your real name is): You used the wrong script in your response.

The problem is that the legacy US Air A-321's have no entertainment systems of any nature installed on them (no audio, no video) and yet American is using these stripped down airplanes for transcontinental service.

I've flown over 2 million miles on American, over 1-1/2 million miles on United and another 1-1/2 million miles on other airlines. I know what is to be expected of First Class service. Either bring these A-321's up to proper standards for premium, transcontinental service or reassign them to shorter types of flights. At very least, hand out individual entertainment systems to First Class passengers on flights over, say, 2 hours. And for god's sake, don't charge us $5.95 for the joy of streaming a single movie, assuming we even have a proper device with us.

You carry our nation's name on your airplanes. You make our country look third rate.
Old May 12, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, UA LT Gold, Hertz PC, 5 MM+ miles
There's no built-in entertainment whatsoever

See the separate thread about LUS A-321's. I just flew one of these planes across country in First Class. 5-1/2 hour flight. No audio. No video. Cabin attendant told us we could stream some Wi-Fi assuming we had our own device and were willing to pay $5.95 per movie.
Old May 12, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
Can you not reroute LAX-JFK-BCN for a better inflight option on the domestic leg?
This is what I would look into.
Old May 12, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by mlm
AA changed our routing to Barcelona (schedule change). We're now routed from LAX to PHL on an A321 in F class. There's only 4 rows in F class which makes me a bit nervous (as in old plane).

The AA reps don't seem to know anything about the A321 aircraft. There are 3 different versions of A321. Wondering if anyone has flown LAX to PHL on A321? I'm primarily interested in the recline of the seat and the entertainment. The only seats left are the last row, 4 A&C or row 1 bulkhead A&C..
Thank you.
When I have flown LAX-PHL on the old 2-class 321, I found it very "meh" for an F product. Old leathery seat, very little recline (radically inferior to lie-flat J on the transcon 321), and on my flights there was no IFE (except for the streaming option some discussed - no back of seat).

I prefer at least two AA transcon planes above the old 2-class 321 in terms of recline and IFE options - business in the 3-class 321 that AA flies from LAX-JFK, and First in the 738 that AA flies from LAX to BOS. However, I recall thinking that some of the PHL to Europe flights were on better equipment, relatively, than I could get transferring in other airports.

That said, perhaps if you can provide more details about the type of original ticket you had (rest of itinerary, fare class and whether award or paid) folks can provide other options.
Old May 12, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Cheynewalk
When I have flown LAX-PHL on the old 2-class 321, I found it very "meh" for an F product. Old leathery seat, very little recline (radically inferior to lie-flat J on the transcon 321), and on my flights there was no IFE (except for the streaming option some discussed - no back of seat).

I prefer at least two AA transcon planes above the old 2-class 321 in terms of recline and IFE options - business in the 3-class 321 that AA flies from LAX-JFK, and First in the 738 that AA flies from LAX to BOS. However, I recall thinking that some of the PHL to Europe flights were on better equipment, relatively, than I could get transferring in other airports.

That said, perhaps if you can provide more details about the type of original ticket you had (rest of itinerary, fare class and whether award or paid) folks can provide other options.

Its difficult to make a comparison to the A321t to any other domestic product that is not a widebody aircraft. They're simply not equal in J or F - in any way, shape or form. You are also going to pay a substantial premium for flying the A321T over another J/F class product in the same route.
Old May 12, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
You are also going to pay a substantial premium for flying the A321T over another J/F class product in the same route.
Not if you can grab it because of a schedule change
Old May 12, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Depending on the date of travel, the OP can route through MIA, CLT, PHL or JFK. MIA and JFK will be on 777s.

On the random date I picked (27 May) it appears that JFK-BCN would be on a refurbushed 777, whereas the MIA flight shows the old cabin (and is the longest distance routing). The risk you take of course with the 777 is that you get equipment swapped at a late hour to the unrefurbished version if you choose the JFK routing.

CLT and PHL both use the A330-200 which doesn't have any random black sheep in the family - they're all the same configuration, and perfectly fine seats in business, with lie flat, IFE, aisle access, etc. If it were me, I'd choose to go via CLT as that would have the shortest domestic segment and longest on the international business class segment, assuming OP is indeed in business, though the shortest connection in CLT is a bit tight versus my preference, otherwise it's a relatively long connection on that date. If OP is in coach across the Atlantic but had MCE access, JFK is the way to go given that aircraft should have MCE barring a late substitution.

I would also add that I generally do everything in my power to avoid JFK during the evening rush in summer storm season. I've had some travel plans pretty much shredded there, whereas if I'd just stayed with PHL I would have been fine.
Old May 12, 2016, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme
Not if you can grab it because of a schedule change
I'm not sure if you can even do that! I looked at the fare rules on some JFK-LAX A class fares, and the fare rules absolutely forbid the agent from rebooking a passenger on A321T, 777 or 767-300 equipment.

its right in the rules.
Old May 12, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
I've got a PHX-PHL coming up soon in the same A321. Not looking forward to a ~5 hour flight, even in F.
Old May 12, 2016, 2:26 pm

If the fare component includes travel between jfk airport and lax then that travel must be on one or more of the following any aa flight operated by aa but not on nonstop flights. And if the fare component includes travel between jfk airport and sfo then that travel must be on one or more of the following any aa flight operated by aa but not on nonstop flights. And if the fare component includes travel between mia and lax then that travel must be on one or more of the following any aa flight operated by aa but not on boeing 777 aircraft. And if the fare component includes travel between mia and lax then that travel must be on one or more of the following any aa flight operated by aa but not on boeing 777-300er aircraft. And if the fare component includes travel between mia and sfo then that travel must be on one or more of the following any aa flight operated by aa but not on boeing 777 aircraft. And the fare component must be on one or more of the following any aa flight operated by aa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.