Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321 (legacy US Airways A321-200) master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DenverBrian
AA (legacy US Airways) Airbus A321-200 "321"

The older legacy US Airways Airbus A321-200 is shown as "321" in AA schedules. (Newer legacy AA A321s are listed as "32B" as they have "Sharklet" wingtip devices installed, and include two class A321S and A321H ETOPS and three class A321T transcontinental versions.)

NOTE: in accordance with AA “Project Oasis” all A321-200s will be retrofitted between 2019 and 2021. Business / First cabins will use the seats found today in the AA A319, with reduced seat pitch and recline. MCE and MC will have the Rockwell Collins slimline Meridian seats with reduced pitch and recline. Lavatories will be ultra-slim Rockwell Collins Spacewall lavs. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21 for further information.

As conversion begins we will start a new thread, and you should be able to see which configuration a particular aircraft has by referencing the (unofficial) American Airlines Fleet Site here.

The legacy US Airways A321s are currently unmodified, though a few have been reupholstered, have new carpeting and bulkhead liners. These have less seat pitch and recline in the First cabin, no Main Cabin Extra seats other than the few with greater seat pitch (e.g. bulkhead / 5, Exit rows 9, 10, 22, and 23) and have neither seatback IFE nor at seat power provisions. They do have GoGo WiFi and free streaming audio and video entertainment for your WiFi capable devices..

Note 10 ABC (fixed armrests with deploying trays) or F, 23 A and F seem to be preferred by some members.

Please see AA to install same new seats in 737-800s and A321s but add more of them for information on the plan to install new B/E Aerospace Meridian slimline seats in a denser pattern and 30" seat pitch in Main Cabin in 2019. (We will dedicate a thread to the CIP / modified A321 when that aircraft becomes current with the AA fleet.)

The A320-321 refurbishment thread may be read here.

Older posts from 2014 and 2015 have been archived here.

Updated 31 Jan 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321 (legacy US Airways A321-200) master thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:19 am

Is there any news on when CLT/SFO or CLT/SEA LUS 321 might see an update? This really is the worst FC domestic product I'm aware of (but ironically I much prefer AA non-FC over UA/Delta).

The only reason I can see that they're not updating these right away, despite being transcons, is that they have monopoly on CLT->west coast flights. I don't know of other carriers offering non-stop CLT to SEA/SFO/PDX/LAX/SAN, so for those of us based out of CLT we don't even have a choice.

Given this, will the LUS 321s be retired at some point?
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by BaconTastesGood
Is there any news on when CLT/SFO or CLT/SEA LUS 321 might see an update? This really is the worst FC domestic product I'm aware of (but ironically I much prefer AA non-FC over UA/Delta).

The only reason I can see that they're not updating these right away, despite being transcons, is that they have monopoly on CLT->west coast flights. I don't know of other carriers offering non-stop CLT to SEA/SFO/PDX/LAX/SAN, so for those of us based out of CLT we don't even have a choice.

Given this, will the LUS 321s be retired at some point?

Exactly.

There's a press release saying Airbus will be doing the retrofit of the A321's including new overhead bins. I would not expect to see anything substantial for at least a year.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA
I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the older LUS A321s retired in the 2020s once we're in the middle of the NEO order. But they're getting retrofitted to match the LAA configuration starting in Fall of 2018, which is when I assume the new bins will be installed as well. A lot of people complain about the LUS A321s, but quite honestly with the current seats and pitch they are the comfiest AA ride in coach out there (aside from the A332s).

I'd much rather see the LUS A320s on their way out.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Originally Posted by stheller
Thanks.

BTW, I'm on flight 729 PHILADELPHIA SEATTLE TACOMA, TUE 09AUG

I think that is an old version but can you tell for certain, assuming of course that they don't substitute another plane?
I'm on this flight next week #706 and to me it looks like an old A321 from USAir - I guess my question is how can we tell if it's had new seats or reupholstered seats installed? Is there a way? Still contemplating if coach in an exit row is just as good as F class on this bird cuz it might not be worth the 5 sticker upgrade.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Originally Posted by Dad to Rei
Because not everyone has the same level of give a $#** that we do
Oh yea, also not everyone is able to sit in an exit row.

But as someone that routinely books late, and often sees row 5 filled while 10A & C are empty - i do appreciate them!
What if I pay the $30 for the row 5 window seat and my upgrade comes through - does AA refund the original seat assignment payment?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by JHIN
What if I pay the $30 for the row 5 window seat and my upgrade comes through - does AA refund the original seat assignment payment?
Yes
JHIN likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
As much as everyone is unhappy with the US 321's, they make sense as a long term part of the AA fleet. Update the interiors and sharklets aside they will be indistinguishable from the new AA 321's. I fly on them alot out of PHX and my only real issue is the lack of power outlets in the seats. I like the way that AA redid the power outlets in US 319s.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
The refreshed US 321s look pretty sharp, despite lacking IFE and power. I was just on one the other day from DCA-DFW and it was pretty nice. However, the FA did mention that a complete overhaul is coming, which includes power and real MCE, as others have posted.

The 320s are on their way out at a pretty steady, but slow pace. At last count, I believe they're now down to just over 40 of them (from about 60 at merger), with the number continuing to decrease. All have new seat covers in both cabins, but the LUS ones are probably in slightly better condition. Some of the LHP ones, that date from the mid-90s, certainly show their age. The oldest HP ones have thankfully all been retired (ex-BN from the late 80s and early 90s).
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:11 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Are there any clearly superior or inferior seats on this plane in F? I see Seatguru marks row 1 as restricted due to a close bulkhead, but I don't trust that site and can't find any photos. I'm 6'2 and will be on the plane for 4 hours so I'm looking to maximize space.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by augmon
Are there any clearly superior or inferior seats on this plane in F? I see Seatguru marks row 1 as restricted due to a close bulkhead, but I don't trust that site and can't find any photos. I'm 6'2 and will be on the plane for 4 hours so I'm looking to maximize space.
I've been in every row and the bulkhead might be slightly narrower but all the rest of the rows are all the same
Old Mar 18, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I am seeing that seats 10DF are now preferred, 10E regular, and, 23ABCDEF are now preferred seats rather than some (all?) of these having been MCE. Have they lost their exit row status as well? Seat map still shows those rows as exit.
10D, 23BCDE shows starred for elite members.
So those super legroom window seats are now up for grabs for low cost to anyone w/o status. Why take it off MCE? So much more legroom that row 5!
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I am seeing that seats 10DF are now preferred, 10E regular, and, 23ABCDEF are now preferred seats rather than some (all?) of these having been MCE. Have they lost their exit row status as well? Seat map still shows those rows as exit.
10D, 23BCDE shows starred for elite members.
So those super legroom window seats are now up for grabs for low cost to anyone w/o status. Why take it off MCE? So much more legroom that row 5!
It appears this has to do with the MCE changes that are coming. I am guessing they think it would be awkward to give special treatment to just one seat in the row.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 1:24 pm

Can anyone comment on row 4 in F? More specifically, I'm curious about the seat recline. Is it limited by the bulkhead/coat rack or is it the same as other seats in F?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Did we ever find out if these were going to 20F?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Did we ever find out if these were going to 20F?
You're kidding, right? There is nearly NO chance AA adds F seats to the pmUS planes. Just take a look at the 8F A319s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.