Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: AA using widebodies for domestic/Caribbean/Mexico flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LUS: AA using widebodies for domestic/Caribbean/Mexico flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Are they using L1 or L2 to board?
In CUN and CLT we boarded and disembarked out of L2 in December.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
They only ever board it through 2L
Old Mar 10, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I'm aware it's not domestic, but my early-May CUN-PHL just got upguaged from a 321 to a 330 as well...glad to be up front!
It's what US defines as domestic. If you don't go to another continent US considers it domestic, although some of the miles required for award tickets are higher for certain destinations I believe.

Jim
Old Mar 10, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
If you read this thread you would find out why...
Really, where? I read it twice now and I see that other posters speak of slack in the A330 scheduling. That's no surprise. But why not leave it parked in CLT as opposed to fly negative-yielding red-eyes for one month? Its not like a spare A330 is going to be needed on the West Coast.

Don't get me wrong - I'm happy to see it out here. But, I can't say that I understand any business logic behind the move. Packed A321s? Likely not at 1AM.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: US lowlife
Originally Posted by youvesaiditall
Originally Posted by jcooke
They also have them running on mco-phl as well. Envoy cabin is wide open and no upgrade availability. Bummer.
What do you mean no upgrade availability? Elites are certainly eligible for upgrades to Envoy on domestic flights.
Mileage-based upgrade availability before upgrade windows.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by McSam18
They only ever board it through 2L
Even in PHX?
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Nicksta
Really, where? I read it twice now and I see that other posters speak of slack in the A330 scheduling. That's no surprise. But why not leave it parked in CLT as opposed to fly negative-yielding red-eyes for one month? Its not like a spare A330 is going to be needed on the West Coast.

Don't get me wrong - I'm happy to see it out here. But, I can't say that I understand any business logic behind the move. Packed A321s? Likely not at 1AM.
It has been talked in this thread, in the winter airlines don't have many flights to Europe, so they have extra planes sitting around, not making any money, so they rotate widebodies in. Around May or so the A330 will be back flying to Europe.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:56 pm

Programs: Various

There are many possibilities on why the larger aircraft are going on domestic routes for a short period of time, including:

- Warm spring weather + temp increase of capacity/passengers into PHX
- Aircraft Familiarization and training for flight crew and PHX station staff
- Pilot (union) hours needed to fill schedules for A33X pilots
- Maintenance on the fleet that it is filling in for (A320/321)

Back in the early 90's, USAir used to use the 762 on LAX-PHL and SFO-PHL (or was it PIT?) They would continue on to FRA and other European destinations from the East Coast. I'm not sure why, but many airlines used wide body for transcon flights from 1970-pre 2001.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: AA EXP
Boarded through 2L in CLT (and that was even from gate B9, not the D gates), and disembarked from 2L in PHX.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 2:02 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
All 5 of my domestic redeyes (LAX-CLT) on A321 have been packed this month.

Redeyes are almost always full IME
Old Mar 11, 2014, 4:43 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Robt760
Back in the early 90's, USAir used to use the 762 on LAX-PHL and SFO-PHL (or was it PIT?) They would continue on to FRA and other European destinations from the East Coast. I'm not sure why, but many airlines used wide body for transcon flights from 1970-pre 2001.
Funny you mention that. I rode a 762 PIT-PHL back in 1998 on US. It continued on to CDG without me. First widebody I was ever on (and second was a 332 last month PHL-CLT). It was odd being on such a large aircraft for such a short - essentially ballistic - flight.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
Originally Posted by DCdeacon
Boarded through 2L in CLT (and that was even from gate B9, not the D gates), and disembarked from 2L in PHX.
They have quite a few 330s departing from the B Concourse to Europe in the Spring-Fall. Talk about not enough room in the boarding area...
Old Mar 11, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Booked CLT-PHX-CLT. First flight out (B752 with what it looks like old Envoy seats) and last flight back (A332) on the same day (well technically return is in early morning hours of the next day). I hope for the upgrade on both. We'll see.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iztok
Booked CLT-PHX-CLT. First flight out (B752 with what it looks like old Envoy seats) and last flight back (A332) on the same day (well technically return is in early morning hours of the next day). I hope for the upgrade on both. We'll see.
Good luck! It's pretty cool to see how the product evolved over the years.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by iztok
Really, I know there a Envoy 752 that does PHL-PHX-SAN, SAN-PHX (overnight) and then PHX-PHL in the morning.. Didn't know there is one on the CLT-PHX..

Just flew the A332, PHX-CLT nice ride, yes we boarded through 2L, nice touch, Crew was great, got 3 hours of sleep, which is most important. However, I guess starting next month when US aligns itself with AA in cabin service, red-eyes will be getting a breakfast on arrival. F was full, Y was not, infact they were pushing selling upgrades, $250 for the flight and some people did take it. It was interesting though, about 60 minutes out, I heard someone complain to the FA about no food being served, maybe some of the people who upgraded were expecting something..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.