Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Slam 2013: Advance Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2013, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Yea, one can dream. I could use another 150k US, especially with US staying in Star...for now.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
I think US management was all-in on merger. I doubt that there is a Plan B.

And since they were so ready to cook our collective gooses (save for the folks who pay whatever is charged, regardless; and the dreamy types who super-impose the two route maps and have never been to, say, PIT), I'm kinda doubting that they will be all fired up to do promotions. May take them a while to lick their wounds, figure out where they are ....
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA, WN, BA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries

And since they were so ready to cook our collective gooses (save for the folks who pay whatever is charged, regardless; and the dreamy types who super-impose the two route maps and have never been to, say, PIT), I'm kinda doubting that they will be all fired up to do promotions. May take them a while to lick their wounds, figure out where they are ....
I can still see the merger go through, just on vastly different terms than US expected. You're going to see various guarantees to keep fare increases in check, routes from being eliminated, and keep a certain level of seat capacity at various routes/hubs. Honestly, I don't understand why the gov is interfering in this merger, but they are out to kill this merger at all costs. I remember when the ATT/T-Mobile merger was squashed and this attack seems even harsher.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:02 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Yes, for any shareholder would be an interesting question to pose US Air management as to how much was invested into the merger before said merger was agreed. Looking like wasted money to me, I think they should have been a bit more circumspect on their announcements really given they essentially show they were spending heaps of money before they had merger approval!

Of course no doubt they will say they had shareholder approval hence justified in spending.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Originally Posted by Readygo
I would rather see double miles (PQM) like last year.
AGREED! Might take a swing over to Europe then....
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Originally Posted by pinniped
Yea, one can dream. I could use another 150k US, especially with US staying in Star...for now.
Exactly.. looking to burn US miles on US was all to enticing...

Really 162K on way on US in Envoy when I can book RT on LH for 100k?????
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
At this point I'd rather have a DEQM promo.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
There isn't going to be a Grand Slam, just like last year, because obviously US is tired of giving away the store. We can see that in the increased costs for miles, the fact that LH F isn't bookable, no GS 2012 and so on.

I guess this means we can end the discussion? Or maybe we can speculate about another Track it Back promo...
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EXP: : SPG Plat; HH Gold
With all the turmoil and merger there is no chance we'll see a Grand Slam
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Were I US, I would run a DEQM promo to distract elites from the merger uncertainty. Here's hoping...
Old Aug 18, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP: : SPG Plat; HH Gold
and a DEQM would be much easier to administer and implement without tons of work with partners and such....here's hoping that is our direction.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Seems like there is a carryover cost to US to running these programs.

Last year -- for me at least -- the DEQM end-of-year thing came out of nowhere. I had already booked about 20K for that period which did not qualify for the promo.

So, this year, I'm also dragging my feet. Now you might say, "What's the difference from US's perspective. 'You can pay US now or pay US later.'" Except that I'm the sort of flyer who books ahead as a means of "commitment" relative to the rest of what passes for my life. The earlier I book, the more I fly.

I think what I am talking about here is analogous to why the airlines don't drop last-minute seat prices -- soon enough everybody waits.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: LT NoN REV

+1
Old Aug 18, 2013, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
I just hope that a DEQM promo isn't tied to mastercard like it was last year.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
There isn't going to be a Grand Slam, just like last year, because obviously US is tired of giving away the store. We can see that in the increased costs for miles, the fact that LH F isn't bookable, no GS 2012 and so on.

I guess this means we can end the discussion? Or maybe we can speculate about another Track it Back promo...
Or talk about which blogger killed the deal.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.