FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR' (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1438456-us-aa-merger-master-discussion-thread-incl-when-will-us-leave-star.html)

chrisdenver1 Feb 14, 2013 5:07 am

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

moderator note:

now that things are official, we'll begin a new thread with official news of the US/AA merger.

For past discussion of the merger, please refer to this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...er-thread.html

Our AA forum moderators have put together a very handy, "Just the Facts," thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ts-please.html

Thanks.

aztimm

Just got the email...

The New American is Arriving
As a valued US Airways Dividend Miles® Preferred member, we wanted you to be among the first to know about some exciting news. Today we announced that American Airlines and US Airways will combine to create a premier global carrier. Operating under the iconic American Airlines name, one of the most recognized brands in the world, the combined airline will have a robust global network, a strong financial foundation and one of the most modern and efficient fleets in the industry. We are excited about what the combination of our two great airlines means for our valued customers.

More Access to More Destinations
The transaction will combine American Airlines' and US Airways' complementary flight networks, increasing efficiency and providing more options for customers. Among other things, the combined worldwide network is expected to offer superior breadth of schedule, which will be of great benefit to our elite business travelers. The combined company will provide customers more choices and increased service across a larger worldwide network and through an enhanced oneworld® Alliance, creating more options for travel and benefits both domestically and internationally. The new American Airlines will offer more than 6,700 daily flights to 336 destinations in 56 countries.

The combined company is expected to maintain all hubs currently served by American Airlines and US Airways, with increased service to existing markets and service to new cities. It is also expected to provide the most service across the East Coast and Central regions of the U.S., including the East Coast shuttle, and to expand its presence and further strengthen its network on the West Coast.

Enhanced Services
Customers will also benefit from American's landmark agreements with Airbus and Boeing, designed to transform the new American Airlines fleet over the next four years and solidify its fleet plan into the next decade. The combined airline is planning to take delivery of 607 new aircraft, including 517 narrowbody aircraft and 90 widebody international aircraft, most of which will be equipped with advanced in-seat inflight entertainment systems offering thousands of hours of programming, inflight Wi-Fi offering connectivity throughout the world, and "Main Cabin Extra" seating with 4 to 6 inches of additional legroom in the Main Cabin. In addition, and as currently provided on US Airways' Airbus A330 international Envoy service, American's new transcontinental and international widebody aircraft will feature lie-flat, all-aisle access premium class seats.

Largest Loyalty Program
As one of our Preferred members, you will be able to enjoy unparalleled benefits. Here are some of the benefits the combined company will offer our members:
•Even more opportunities to earn and redeem miles from an expanded global network of routes and partnerships;

◦122 new destinations through which to redeem miles
◦Earn miles with more than 1,000 participating companies, including more than 20 airline partners
•Unmatched redemption options including flights, hotels, car rentals, vacation packages, one-way awards and club memberships; and
•Worldwide benefits through the oneworld Alliance.
Until the merger is complete, US Airways and American Airlines will remain separate companies and each company will maintain its current loyalty programs (US Airways – Dividend Miles and American Airlines – AAdvantage®). In the meantime, existing miles will continue to be honored, and there will be no impact to your US Airways MasterCard® or US Airways Visa® card. Customers can continue to book travel and track and manage flights as well as frequent flyer activity on www.usairways.com. You can also continue to earn and redeem mileage for travel awards with us and our Star Alliance™ partners.

We expect the combination to be completed in the third quarter of 2013. Additional information will be provided to customers of our frequent flyer program on any future program updates, including account consolidation or benefit alignment. In the meantime, please visit www.usairways.com/arriving for the latest information.

We are committed to providing you with safe and reliable service, and we look forward to continuing to serve you on US Airways and on the new American Airlines.

Sincerely,

Doug Parker
Chairman and CEO, US Airways

bwiadca Feb 14, 2013 5:26 am

The New American is Arriving (US Airways and American announce merger)

Good bye US. Hello UA.
If US wants to move, fine. But I'm not moving with them to the worst possible alliance.

FlyIgglesFly Feb 14, 2013 5:27 am

If anyone is in Sligo, Ireland today and can produce a US preferred card, drinks for US Airways' wake are on me at the establishment of your choice.

This merger hurts. I can't say US Airways ever mistreated me, even as a middling level elite. I'm afraid people like me are going to get lost in the masses of other middling elites in this new uber airline.

And +1 to bwiadca. Pretty much where I stand as well.

jsieds Feb 14, 2013 5:33 am

Originally Posted by bwiadca (Post 20245315)
Good bye US. Hello UA.
If US wants to move, fine. But I'm not moving with them to the worst possible alliance.

The announcement touts the OW benefits. It leaves out the important part about fewer destinations, fewer airlines, fewer flight choices moving from*A to OW.

Based on my flight patterns, I go from CP on US to mid level AA and mid level UA.

charlie00tj Feb 14, 2013 5:38 am

Looking for recommendations for a new airline. I primarily travel up and down the east coast. I loved US loyalty program. American doesn't work for me. I was looking at Delta, but I hate flying through Atlanta.

BMWMOT Feb 14, 2013 5:39 am

With all the bashing of US that's gone on in the past, it will be in my opinion a classic case of 'you'll miss me when I'm gone'. I agree with the earlier comment that US has treated me very well. We don't have the latest and greatest tech gadgets (apps, in flight entertainment etc) but they got me from point A to point B usually in first class even as a mid tier elite. I've always stood up for US when colleagues etc bad mouth them, most of them never flying US (perception is reality I guess).

Now I'm struggling. What to do. IF they keep the American upgrade system of using coupons, I'm toast. Good bye upgrades. I fly short segments up the east coast. Takes a while to get 10K miles.

Are there any others out there based in BOS that fly mainly east coast and Canada? Do we stay with US or try to move to UA. Love the *A but not sure I want to connect in EWR. Uuggh....

webrobby Feb 14, 2013 5:40 am

I'm looking to give OW alliance a chance. US was so small they were the little fish in the excellent, but well stocked *A pond. With this merger, OW will gain greater capacity in North America, and it can go out there and grow their alliance by having more flights to code share and market for. Looking forward to giving it a try.

deltaflyinglawyer Feb 14, 2013 5:46 am

In order to exit voluntarily from the Star Alliance, an airline should have a mininum 6 months ultimatum. So, it seems like US already has told Star Alliance that they are leaving this fall, or 3rd Qtr. I thought this will be long process to become one with several bumps on the way. government approval, bankrupcy court's approval, to name a few.
I still have approximately 300,000 miles to burn. Still enough time to do it.

Originally Posted by chrisdenver1 (Post 20245243)
We expect the combination to be completed in the third quarter of 2013. Additional information will be provided to customers of our frequent flyer program on any future program updates, including account consolidation or benefit alignment. In the meantime, please visit www.usairways.com/arriving for the latest information.

ElCid79 Feb 14, 2013 5:46 am

New American Airlines or Delta

Opinions needed!!
I am avery frequent traveler on USAir. 195 legs last year based in CLT. Moving to CHS and wondering whether to stick it out with new American or jump ship to Delta with a status match. Thoughts?

Thank you!

TPJ Feb 14, 2013 5:53 am

'new' AA arrives, I am leaving...

Bye, bye AA/UA, hello TK.

oneWorld has poor network in Europe (IB, BA, AY, AB - possibly soon leaving for Sky Team) vs. LH, OS, SN, LO, JP, OU, SK, KF, TP, TK, A3 for *A...

oneWorld does not even serve 40% of destinations in Europe I am flying to...

I will most likely move to TK - 80k miles to get Elite Plus (eqv of CP with US) and only 40k miles to maintain. Europe-Asia RT award in C is only 70k miles (on TK metal), but they do charge YQ:td: Plus I already have oneWorld staus, so not need another one...

ronniefastback Feb 14, 2013 6:00 am

This sucks.... read my email this morning, screamed and my wife thought something was really wrong! Well, to me there is. Guess it was only a matter of time before US did something. I've been CP or Plat for the past 10+ years and have gotten used to the upgrade. Really worried those days are over....

jsieds Feb 14, 2013 6:02 am

Originally Posted by jsieds (Post 20245352)
The announcement touts the OW benefits. It leaves out the important part about fewer destinations, fewer airlines, fewer flight choices moving from*A to OW.

Based on my flight patterns, I go from CP on US to mid level AA and mid level UA.

Now for the glass half full...AA has many more options for using miles. Spent a wonderful week in St. Maarteen on AA miles for hotel.

cdepks Feb 14, 2013 6:05 am

Originally Posted by charlie00tj (Post 20245374)
Looking for recommendations for a new airline. I primarily travel up and down the east coast. I loved US loyalty program. American doesn't work for me. I was looking at Delta, but I hate flying through Atlanta.

You really don't have many choices...I too, kind of paniced with this anouncement as I am low level (SP) with US. Thinking I will get lost in the shuffle and maybe never see the front of the bus again. With that said, I'd take a "wait and see" attitude. Don't forget DL is starting a $$ min. ALONG with their mileage requirments in 2014. [25K + $2,500 min. spent to get those 25K for status] This hurt MR possibilities. So what else do you have? UA? Not a bad choice, but I would take ATL over EWR anyday......I would let the dust settle before doing anything, that is what I am doing..

iztok Feb 14, 2013 6:05 am

When will US Club members be able to use Admirals Club?

masonuc Feb 14, 2013 6:06 am

If I'm US CP are there any airlines that will match my status? I'd love to switch to United since I am in DC area. I also am not a fan of AA's frequent flier program at all.