Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Old Jul 30, 2013, 6:18 am

Programs: US Silver Hilton Gold SPG Gold Marriott Plat AA Gold
US AA preferred miles

I searched for this question and couldn't find an answer in this thread. If I earned preferred miles on both of programs, do they combine for status purposes this year? It would help in my MR decision through the rest of this year since my AA miles would help out.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 6:37 am

Programs: US Silver Hilton Gold SPG Gold Marriott Plat AA Gold
Different search got my answer, which there isn't an answer
Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Not if you're a US Silver; their upgrade percentages can actually be OK. They'll probably get hosed pretty hard in a (mostly) pay-to-play system where they will be fighting against AA/US Golds and Plats for the crumbs the EPs and CPs let drop off of the table.
Yup...as US Silver my upgrade percentage is 75%! Mostly due to flying odd flight schedules or dumb luck but I doubt this is going to come out positively for me since I'm at the bottom of the food chain

This isn't me throwing a fit or saying it's unfair because if you're Silver you don't fly enough for them to care too much, but if the upgrade system changes to me only being able to upgrade 3 or 4 times a year, one way, on a transcon flights it just won't be worth it to me to keep the allegiance to US/AA.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by lizs
Yup...as US Silver my upgrade percentage is 75%! Mostly due to flying odd flight schedules or dumb luck but I doubt this is going to come out positively for me since I'm at the bottom of the food chain

This isn't me throwing a fit or saying it's unfair because if you're Silver you don't fly enough for them to care too much, but if the upgrade system changes to me only being able to upgrade 3 or 4 times a year, one way, on a transcon flights it just won't be worth it to me to keep the allegiance to US/AA.
Well, given that top tiers in both programs get CPUs, but on AA mid and bottom tier have to burn upgrade certs, I'd say all else equal your odds are the same or better on AA. Look at it this way, on US a Plat, Gold or Silver gets automatically upgraded - they don't have to allocate any resources to doing it, or even decide whether they want it. On AA, they do, as you earn 500 certs by flying (or can purchase) and have to actively request the upgrade.

Odds are, I will never be more than a 25k tier elite, but I'm thinking my odds are better if the AA system is adopted. Odds on the transcons will be equally low, I'd think, but on some leisure routes I'd probably make out well. Not to mention, I'm not hub-captive, but it also means I have to connect once to get almost anywhere - I can always burn an upgrade on a short leg if I need a bigger bag or weight allowance - and odds are I'll get it.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Well, given that top tiers in both programs get CPUs, but on AA mid and bottom tier have to burn upgrade certs, I'd say all else equal your odds are the same or better on AA.
Hard to see how paying $30 per 500 miler once your freebie 500 milers are gone (which will only upgrade you 20% of the time) is "the same or better" than paying $0 and getting upgraded 75% of the time like the OP. Is this new mAAth?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 9:50 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Well there's two issues here. The Merger likely screws UGs for most mid tier elites anyway (let alone silvers). Having a Sticker upgrade system likely boosts upgrades by a small % over a CPU system(though not really by much unless you only want to focus on short hops between places most Elites wont travel or waste stickers on) but is far far worse than what is currently available for existing elites. Its also more expensive too.

But we haven't had confirmation that the new AA will have a sticker system except for the promo that they are having right?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Hard to see how paying $30 per 500 miler once your freebie 500 milers are gone (which will only upgrade you 20% of the time) is "the same or better" than paying $0 and getting upgraded 75% of the time like the OP. Is this new mAAth?
Well, no, but it's the idea that since everyone isn't getting upgraded automatically, there may be more upgrade space available for those that do want to request it for that flight.

I'm in the 75% range as a Silver as well, but my hope is that maybe I'll now have a shot at some of those BOS-PHX or CLT-XXX legs - both from the BOS-PHX connecting traffic getting partially offloaded to BOS-DFW for connections and the people not requesting upgrades for whatever reason. I could do without some of the PWM-DCA/PHL upgrades if it means a shot at some longer flights in F.

Now, if the above is wishful thinking, you can just tell me that and I'll accept it.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by asdf1223
But we haven't had confirmation that the new AA will have a sticker system except for the promo that they are having right?
We haven't, BUT AA elites are pretty happy with their program, or at least if FT is the prevailing sentiment, they hate the US system more than the AA system, AND the AA sticker system generates a ton of revenue. A secondary factor is that it brings in revenue without the backlash of elite qualifying dollars like UA/DL are implementing. I suspect it accomplishes the same exact thing, but for some reason doesn't piss people off.

My gut says it's all but a done deal that we see the sticker system.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: AS / CSR / AMEX
Honestly I just want them to release more information about their FF programs as fast as possible so I can make travel plans
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:55 am

LHR Day Flight

Anyone think there's any chance the new AA would add a day flight to LHR. BOS, JFK, EWR, and IAD have one; be nice to have the option.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Regardless of the system adopted, the combined program will have slightly more elites with somewhat higher on-average status (both comments follow from the folks who have been accruing in both AA and US) chasing fewer F upgrade seats (since a merger will almost certainly cut aggregate capacity). Something (and someones) will have to give.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
biggest thing I will miss assuming it isn't adopted by AA is cheap mileage upgrades. 9k and no copay is cheap money to guarantee an upgrade on a transcon. AA seems to be 15k plus a $75 copay.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
A day flight to LHR from where?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Regardless of the system adopted, the combined program will have slightly more elites with somewhat higher on-average status (both comments follow from the folks who have been accruing in both AA and US) chasing fewer F upgrade seats (since a merger will almost certainly cut aggregate capacity). Something (and someones) will have to give.
That may, probably will, be true. However, there are a fair number of people with both EXP and CP, and they'll stay the same. Without knowing the distribution and accruals of both sides I think it is speculative to suggest any specific impact. It might be that, given actual travel patterns of those Elite members there may be minimal effects.

I've seen to many cases where actual results differed dramatically for guesses taht I'm leery of making any without knowing the numbers.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 2:34 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
My assumption is the OP was thinking PHL once the merger is done.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.