Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by AnonymousForProtection
Here is a teaser for you... If you ask you shall receive an answer. All topics.
Is it likely that the Buy Up Preferred program will stay in place, for the transition year and also post-merger?
Old Jul 27, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Welcome to FlyerTalk, AnonymousForProtection ^

Any word yet whether the elite desk in Winston Salem is staying or relocating?

Thanks.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by FWAAA
AA's purposes, "internationally" means Europe, South America, Asia and Mexico City. No lounge access when flying domestically, which includes Canada, Caribbean, Mexico and Central America (incidentally, those are considered domestic for upgrade purposes as well).
Central America has domestic upgrades but international lounge access.

Originally Posted by dcpatti
Is it likely that the Buy Up Preferred program will stay in place, for the transition year and also post-merger?
The thought of a premium airline keeping such a trashy program is laughable, IMO. It's a goner.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Flagship Lounge (AA's First Class Lounge) is never accessible with Admirals Club membership or any lounge membership; access is limited to class-of-service/status/etc. Oneworld has a whole page detailing the Alliance's lounge access policies.

In a nutshell, mid-tier elites (AA's Platinum) get access to business class lounges when flying internationally, regardless of cabin, and top-tier elites get access to First Class lounges when flying internationally, regardless of cabin. In addition, when flying business/first class internationally, even non-status passengers get lounge access. For AA's purposes, "internationally" means Europe, South America, Asia and Mexico City. No lounge access when flying domestically, which includes Canada, Caribbean, Mexico and Central America (incidentally, those are considered domestic for upgrade purposes as well).
Add only that Concierge Key gets access to FlAAgship Checkin and FlAAgship Lounges regardless of class of service.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by MAH4546
The thought of a premium airline keeping such a trashy program is laughable, IMO. It's a goner.
While it may be a controversial program, it's quite possibly more profitable to sell the status uplift than to sell a cheap transcon to someone who is short of the next level qualifications. If you sell just the uplift, that leaves the actual flight(s) still available for another passenger to buy. With loads and fares being what they are, the "trashy" "laughable" program may generate more profit. And make no mistake: profit will still be king.

So I'm genuinely interested in seeing if it survives.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While it may be a controversial program, it's quite possibly more profitable to sell the status uplift than to sell a cheap transcon to someone who is short of the next level qualifications. If you sell just the uplift, that leaves the actual flight(s) still available for another passenger to buy. With loads and fares being what they are, the "trashy" "laughable" program may generate more profit. And make no mistake: profit will still be king.

Agreed!
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
While it may be a controversial program, it's quite possibly more profitable to sell the status uplift than to sell a cheap transcon to someone who is short of the next level qualifications.
More profit if you look only at immediate short-term effects (revenue in for buy-up vs opex for flight). FF programs drive profit on multiple levels. E.g., they generate immediate revenue from wholesale mileage to CC and other partners, they incentivize passengers to be loyal to attain status and hence upgrades and other perks. As in so many areas, this is a balance. Emphasize immediate revenue and you dilute the elite ranks and may drive away hugely profitable passengers. Same for skimping too much on upgrades and award seats. (E.g., AA has publicly available award seats, "hidden" award seats for top-tier elites, and on-request award seats that may be released based on who is asking.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 1:59 pm

US needs to sell this junk because it genuinely doesn't offer any premium services. AA, on the other hand, does.

AA already allows elites who didn't requalify for Gold or Plat to purchase their status (one time only) for another year (at a very high price), which will likely remain.

The thought of AA allowing anybody to purchase 100,000 miles for instant status is laughable. AA actually gives top tier elites real premium benefits, like eight system wide upgrades that can be used on any fare and actually clear 99% of the time. No airline in their right mind is going to give that away for four grand.

US Airways is a wannabe elite program with no tangible benefits, so selling it is no big deal.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 2:11 pm

OMG, I had to check my URL quickly. For a moment I thought I was on A-Net !! Really, bashing the US FF program and US Airways is a bit off topic in this Forum since most of us have used it and loved it for years. Further, buying miles provides access to all Star Alliance carriers, not just US Airways.

Parker is Not Horton and I'd bet the New AA will Not be the Old AA, as much as the AA Fan Boys would like it to be.

Last edited by perseus11; Jul 27, 2013 at 2:21 pm
Old Jul 27, 2013, 3:03 pm

It's not bashing, it's a fact: US Airways does not provide tangible premium services. That's reality

Parker might not be Horton, but he's also not an idiot. He knows that the combined entity can't compete with UA and DL by lowering itself to US standards. If I where a US FF is be thrilled. You'll soon be flying an airline that provides first class domestic services, in flight entertainment options, a real premium lounge experience, and miles that are fairly easy to redeem. You don't have any of that right now.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 5:18 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
It's not bashing, it's a fact: US Airways does not provide tangible premium services. That's reality

Parker might not be Horton, but he's also not an idiot. He knows that the combined entity can't compete with UA and DL by lowering itself to US standards. If I where a US FF is be thrilled. You'll soon be flying an airline that provides first class domestic services, in flight entertainment options, a real premium lounge experience, and miles that are fairly easy to redeem. You don't have any of that right now.
I'd love to know what AA you're flying, because the one I've flown (on paid F tickets) doesn't seem to bear any resemblance to what you're describing. Maybe I'm ordering the wrong pre-flight beverage?

Seriously, we're talking about US domestic carriers here. One of the two pigs may be wearing really nice lipstick, but it's still a pig.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
After OW join, the lounge access policy will run parallel with the likes of the current policy at *A. ex: I am flying IAD-CLT on US, I cannot enter the LH club since I am traveling domestic, even with paid annual membership.
That is not the case. With *A G you can get access to LH lounge at IAD. Also with US Club membership you can get access to LH lounge at IAD.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 6:06 pm

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
US Airways Club Lifetime Membership

Welcome to Flyer Talk, AnonymousForProtection.
I have a lifetime US Airways Club membership. Will it be honored by this new merger?
Old Jul 27, 2013, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
You'll soon be flying an airline that provides first class domestic services, in flight entertainment options, a real premium lounge experience, and miles that are fairly easy to redeem. You don't have any of that right now.
Premium lounge experience? Seriously? I've been at EWR Admiral's Club and it is POS compared to just about any US Club.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by iztok
Premium lounge experience? Seriously? I've been at EWR Admiral's Club and it is POS compared to just about any US Club.
I think he's referring to the Flagship Lounges. But while there are some nice US Club lounges, the majority of ACs are much better. With a lot of them having shower facilities and nice business centers. However, the US ones have better snack food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.