Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:17 pm

Programs: A Merging-Airline Passenger Service Employee
Originally Posted by NJTraveler
(I apologize if this was referenced elsewhere in this thread.)

Is there any sense as to when UA flights can no longer be credited to US Dividend Miles? Perhaps as of 1/1/14? Or is all this just speculation at this point?
On the first full day after legal merger close (expected late August), US Airways can credit BOTH *A and AA FF numbers (one or the other, cannot attach both numbers to one PNR).

After 11/01 US will be a member of OW and therefor making 10/31 the last possible day for *A accrual.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AnonymousForProtection
On the first full day after legal merger close (expected late August), US Airways can credit BOTH *A and AA FF numbers (one or the other, cannot attach both numbers to one PNR).

After 11/01 US will be a member of OW and therefor making 10/31 the last possible day for *A accrual.
This is quite interesting.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by PaceLaw2012
I know there's no answer yet, but I'm curious if anyone has any educated guesses or speculation on what happens to paid club memberships after we leave? Do you'll think there will be AC access as well as UA/MLL? Thoughts?
Good News!

Beginning the very first FULL DAY of operations after legal close (expected late August) US lounge membership holders will be able to continue using *A lounges AND AA Admirals Clubs (no Flagship Lounge access just yet: ORD, LHR, LAX, JFK)

Of course, all good things must come to an end. Effective immediately upon entering OW, US cards cannot be used for any *A lounge access from then on. This will be 11/01/2013.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:29 pm

Here is a teaser for you... If you ask you shall receive an answer. All topics.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:31 pm

I'll play along - what's happening to the clubs in PHL A Terminal. Currently there's the giant "ex-Envoy" US Club and a shared Admirals Club/BA Galleries. Would club members get admission to both? (And what sane person would goto the US Club when there's real food in BA Galleries?)

Also any word on if they're going to start combining catering efforts for the in-flight products?
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:02 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
If I want to redeem my US Dividend Miles, on Star Alliance carriers, what is the latest date I can book my award (and what is the latest travel date, based on this assumption/calculation?)
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:44 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
What's the plan for reciprocal upgrades, if any?
Old Jul 27, 2013, 1:22 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by peetahvw

Also any word on if they're going to start combining catering efforts for the in-flight products?
Since when does US Airways make an effort to cater? US meal service standards are pathetic and don't constitute an effort.

This is an AA dinner on DFWDEN. Keep in mind the plane isn't even in the air for 90 minutes:

And that's a basic dinner for a 90 minute flight. Midcon flights get four courses, and trans-cons even more generous meals (plus a pre-landing light fruit/cheese plate).

Hopefully there's no combining and AA's standards and catering (most generous in the U.S. by far) take over.

Last edited by MAH4546; Jul 27, 2013 at 1:36 am
Old Jul 27, 2013, 1:41 am

Welcome to FT!

Is that also the date after which it will be impossible to book any *A award travel with USDM and/or make changes to existing *A partner award itineraries already issued by US for departure in 2014?

What if there is a schedule change on one of the *A partner flights after 11/01 but prior to travel? How will US handle rescheduling should it be necessary?

Thanks!
Old Jul 27, 2013, 4:33 am

Talking

Originally Posted by peetahvw
I'll play along - what's happening to the clubs in PHL A Terminal. Currently there's the giant "ex-Envoy" US Club and a shared Admirals Club/BA Galleries. Would club members get admission to both? (And what sane person would goto the US Club when there's real food in BA Galleries?)

Until US is OW affiliated 11/01, the only additional clubs that can be used are AA Admirals Clubs. Also, I don't imagine that even post-OW that paid lounge memberships will granted BA G club access, or any other international C/F lounge access (not even AA Flagship will be granted UNLESS flying intl with a lounge membership).

After OW join, the lounge access policy will run parallel with the likes of the current policy at *A. ex: I am flying IAD-CLT on US, I cannot enter the LH club since I am traveling domestic, even with paid annual membership.

As for the big A lounge, on the first day of viable schedule change 09/09, we should be co-locating with each other at airports where we have already planned to do so with the airport authority. No announcements yet as to specific co-location, but my best guess would be that in PHL the AA club will be shut down since A, B/C, and F clubs are standing.

In-flight catering coordination will take quite some time. At least until the US name is officially gone.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 7:12 am

I guess if want to provide some the intended dates of upcoming changes, here's a list of most issues people have asked about recently.

Today:
  • US members can continue to book Star Alliance awards
  • AA and US elite status is unchanged
  • AA and US programs remain separate
  • AA lifetime status is unchanged
  • Expect all miles will be preserved 1-to-1
  • Expect currently paid and award tickets to be honored

Future dates:
  1. Earliest date of government approval: expected late Aug.
  2. Credit US flights to either *A or AA: late Aug. - 10/31
  3. Earliest date US joins oneworld: expected 11/01
  4. Last day to credit US flights to *A: expected 10/31
  5. US lounge members able to use both *A and AA clubs: late Aug - 10/31
  6. No access to *A lounges: 11/01
  7. Access to oneworld lounges: 11/01
  8. Last day to ticket US *A awards:
  9. Last day to change US *A awards (expect 6 month grace period based on LX history):
  10. Furthest date out for return flight on US *A award:
  11. Allow transfer of miles between US and AA accounts:
  12. Allow AA awards on US metal:
  13. Allow US awards on AA metal:
  14. Allow US awards on oneworld partners:
  15. Status match or combined EQM:
  16. US moves to SABRE:
  17. DM program becomes AAdvantage:
  18. Lifetime miles of 2 programs combined:
  19. Expect non-alliance partnerships to continue such as B6
  20. Expect AAirpass to continue
  21. Citi will handle credit cards; unknown whether Barclay's MC will be grandfathered
  22. Unknown whether 75k elite level exists
  23. Unknown whether lifetime platinum becomes 50k or 75k level
  24. Unknown whether bonus miles change for elite levels (100% bonus on AA)
  25. Unknown changes to upgrade instruments
  26. Unknown changes to various hubs and expanded destinations
  27. Unknown whether other programs will poach with status matches
Old Jul 27, 2013, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Until US is OW affiliated 11/01, the only additional clubs that can be used are AA Admirals Clubs. Also, I don't imagine that even post-OW that paid lounge memberships will granted BA G club access, or any other international C/F lounge access (not even AA Flagship will be granted UNLESS flying intl with a lounge membership).
Flagship Lounge (AA's First Class Lounge) is never accessible with Admirals Club membership or any lounge membership; access is limited to class-of-service/status/etc. Oneworld has a whole page detailing the Alliance's lounge access policies.

In a nutshell, mid-tier elites (AA's Platinum) get access to business class lounges when flying internationally, regardless of cabin, and top-tier elites get access to First Class lounges when flying internationally, regardless of cabin. In addition, when flying business/first class internationally, even non-status passengers get lounge access. For AA's purposes, "internationally" means Europe, South America, Asia and Mexico City. No lounge access when flying domestically, which includes Canada, Caribbean, Mexico and Central America (incidentally, those are considered domestic for upgrade purposes as well).
Old Jul 27, 2013, 10:29 am

Us master card club passes

I have a US Master Card that provides a one-time admission for myself and a guest to US lounge. There is no paper pass; I just provide my US DM number to gain admission. Will I be able to use this pass at an AA club when reciprocal club use is available for US and AA club members?
Old Jul 27, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Good News!

Beginning the very first FULL DAY of operations after legal close (expected late August) US lounge membership holders will be able to continue using *A lounges AND AA Admirals Clubs (no Flagship Lounge access just yet: ORD, LHR, LAX, JFK)

Of course, all good things must come to an end. Effective immediately upon entering OW, US cards cannot be used for any *A lounge access from then on. This will be 11/01/2013.
Will we have to wear tags identifying ourselves as former AA or US during the first month while we snarl at each other on board and in the clubs?
Old Jul 27, 2013, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by SusanDK
Welcome to FT!

Is that also the date after which it will be impossible to book any *A award travel with USDM and/or make changes to existing *A partner award itineraries already issued by US for departure in 2014?

What if there is a schedule change on one of the *A partner flights after 11/01 but prior to travel? How will US handle rescheduling should it be necessary?

Thanks!
I would like to second SusanDK's questions. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.