Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
If one knows how to play it, AA can be, "tricked," into losing some of their YQ, while US doesn't play that game.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by charlie00tj
Looking for recommendations for a new airline. I primarily travel up and down the east coast. I loved US loyalty program. American doesn't work for me. I was looking at Delta, but I hate flying through Atlanta.
Charlie,

Since AA doesn't serve near as large a portion to "smaller" east coast cities as US currently does I wouldn't think they will cut a large portion of that out.

I mainly fly east coast out of DFW and a lot of times AA is not really an option and if they do fly there direct it is sometime 2 times what a connection in CLT or PHL is.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by Matthew_DC
Do you think if we book it now for Dec (return Jan '14) it will be still be honored after this merger?
Yes. All tickets will be honoured. Problems may arise if you need to change the tickets or there are changes in schedules etc after US leaves *A though, but personally I wouldn't be too concerned about that.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by AtlanticBeach
There is insufficient information available at this time to provide an opinion. Sorry, but you'll read that a lot until we know more about the new company.
Honestly I think "wait and see" will be the best option for most unless the alliance change is a truly large factor. I'd frankly be surprised to see significant operational changes this calendar year.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
If your employer has a corporate travel desk, ask them about status matching-- that's always good advice, not just when staring at a merger. What your corporate travel desk can do really depends on their own arrangements with the airlines, but often you can get a proper status match by just filling in a form and sending a screenshot, as opposed to a challenge or trial or a match to a lower level.

My corporate travel desk has already announced they can arrange a status match to UA for US elites, as we are primarily tied to Star Alliance.

What I will actually do really remains to be seen; I'm still faced with the same decision that I had back when they first announced merger talks. Star Alliance or DCA? I doubt that UA will add many more cities--- if any--- from DCA. I prefer Star Alliance, both for earning and redeeming, but still can't decide if I prefer it enough to make all those trips to IAD or all those connections in EWR/ORD/IAH. I think I'm going to sit tight a bit and see how our corporate routings shake out; we do have some routes where a non-Star carrier is the corporate preferred (such as DCA-ATL on DL; you have to practically stand on your head to book that one on anyone other than DL). Business travel last year only accounted for about 50% of my travel but I'm expecting a busier travel year, and if I have to fight with the travel desk every time I book, I might as well just bite the bullet and embrace the dAArk side.

Either way, it will be a rough adjustment for me, as I've had a long history of issues with AA, mostly rooted in customer service, and have had some really painful MX and crew-related delays on UA in the last 6 weeks. So neither of those carriers would have otherwise been getting my business. Sigh.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:26 am

Really sucks for New Yorkers that don't want to fly out of ewr. I fly a lot with us because of its lga flights. Not sure what to do now!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:30 am

Programs: US GP, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I mainly fly TPA-PHL-DCA (or TPA-DCA if I'm in a rush and forgo the extra segment & 500-mi min. shot) so AA isn't a bad addition by flight options only.

What I know/feel is about 10% actual facts and 90% inference. Like others that have posted, I enjoyed batting about .800 on upgrades (although I tend to book off-peak to make that happen).

I have a certain "fallback" list in mind that I would lose with virtually no eggs in the AAdvantage basket:
  • A generous upgrade policy
  • Preferred seat selection in Economy, incl. exit rows
  • Zone 1 boarding
  • Priority baggage handling / no fees up to 3 bags
  • Carryover of status (currently DM GP) for mileage bonus

If I can't get #1 (upgrades), then hopefully I can at least get an aisle seat in the first 5 rows in E, if not that then just give me Priority AAccess so I'm not fighting for overhead space, etc...

AA doesn't offer a status match (or at least they didn't before the announcement), rather they have a challenge you pay for but DO NOT GET THE STATUS up front. That is a big deal for those of us that have, frankly, gotten spoiled by flying in F and being among the first to board. Who wants to start from scratch?

Maybe their policy on status matching will change, but I feel this is doubtful because of the large influx of DM members, even after the exodus to UA or DL shakes out.

I'm flying to SFO next month (already have TPA-CLT-SFO booked on US metal) so going AA would be a good way to test it out (~8,000 PQM) but 6 hrs is a long time in row 25. I'm traveling with someone that is AA Plat so maybe he can get me upgraded.

To the folks that have mid- to high-level status (BIS) in multiple airline programs: how did you make the decision to diversify your flights? I've always been of the mindset to pour everything I have into one company (US, Marriott)...
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
The FAQ says they are looking to finalize the merger in the 3Q of 2013. Do people think that's when the switch between alliances will be? I have a flight on UA in early September that I want to credit to US, and I need it to re-qualify for gold this year. What are people's thoughts on still being able to earn credit on UA in September?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:48 am

New American Airlines or Delta

Does anyone really think they will be fully integrated by late 2013 like the letter said this morning?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:50 am

How long will we be able to earn star alliance miles with partners?

I booked a trip for late March 2013 all on US Airways. It's about 5000 miles total, so not insignificant. I'm seeing mixed information as to if I will likely still be able to get Air Canada status miles on those segments. Does anyone have a definitive answer or can give some guidance based on more facts than random news reports?

EDIT -- Sorry, my subject is misleading, and question confusing... More precisely -- how long will US Air be giving out star alliance miles to members of star alliance flyer programs like United/AirCanada, etc?

Last edited by BigDaddyTL; Feb 14, 2013 at 7:55 am Reason: Sorry - question was confusing...
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:50 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
The FAQ says they are looking to finalize the merger in the 3Q of 2013. Do people think that's when the switch between alliances will be? I have a flight on UA in early September that I want to credit to US, and I need it to re-qualify for gold this year. What are people's thoughts on still being able to earn credit on UA in September?
I think that tickets purchased before the merger announcement would be honored to UA, although that's certainly UA's call. However, you did buy the ticket based on the agreements in place between UA and US at the time of purchase. I'd guess you might not get credit automatically but that a quick letter/email to UA noting the date of purchase would do the trick.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by teese35
When will we be able to fly AA and get credit on US DM? Trying to go to ppt or bob for my honeymoon in November.
Miles accumulated on AA will undoubtedly combine with US balances when the programs fully merge (currently they claim 3rd quarter, which seems optimistic to me). It appears that their plan is to keep the programs completely separate until they switch to one reservation system which would preclude crediting one airlines miles to another's program in the meantime.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:54 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by phisher4
Does anyone really think they will be fully integrated by late 2013 like the letter said this morning?
I think they meant obtaining regulatory approval and completing the merger on paper by Q3 2013. Actual integration will probably still be a year off from then.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
I just sent the following email to US Airways. I hope those of you who agree with me will do something similar.

Dear US Airways,

My main concern about this merger is how much of the present AAdvantage program Doug Parker will allow the newly merged airline to inherit. One of the benefits of being a Dividend Miles member was that your program offers very fair redemption levels for Star Alliance Partner awards. AA's program, however, is FAR more demanding, especially concerning the amount of miles required for routings when using the much more limited One World airline partners (compared to the amount of Star Alliance airline partners). I very much hope that the management of US Airways seriously considers implementing the rules of the Dividend Miles program into the new AAdvantage program. Doing so would be a wonderful gesture to the many long-time loyal Dividend Miles members.

Thank you,

Tommy
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:02 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Avis First
I wonder if the existing US narrowbody fleet will be upgraded with IFE systems now. The email announcement mentions that they plan to take delivery of 517 new narrowbody AC of which "most" of which will be equipped.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.