Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:07 am

US was a hidden gem for mid-mile fliers who like to ride up front.

I would get the 10k from the credit card, take advantage of double PQM's on a x-country trip, fly a few more times, and spend the $1k to buy up to platinum. Platinum on US pretty much put you in first for the year. I'm sure some of the "real" elites look down on this but I sure will miss it and will most likely be moving to JetBlue.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:09 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ronniefastback
This sucks....
...says it all for me!

And of course, there's the inevitable rise in fares...
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:12 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Oneworld gets me Qantas and Cathay so there is a net gain for me there. I just hope USdbaAA learns from the mistakes of the United merger going forward... that is what will make or break things for me.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle, etc etc
Originally Posted by GaryZ
...says it all for me!

And of course, there's the inevitable rise in fares...
Yeah, it does suck. Honestly though, if they can find a way to not screw with things it won't personally affect me much with routes. AA does have more options on their metal which works for me. I have had very few flights on anything other than US metal the past number of years (except for a couple flights international on SA ).

The upgrades are going to be harder to come by, but it will certainly depend on the day and time you fly as well as location. I'm trying to like the idea of this.... just can't get rid of that rumbling, bad feeling in my gut....
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:15 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I'm CP on US and EXP on AA. The merger makes sense to me. I'll miss redeeming for FC on LH and SQ, oops, no I won't because they never had any space anyway so I had to pay for them in cash. On CX, QF, JL space is usually available when I need it, as it is on BA, IB and AY. For me, anyway, my US miles will finally be worth something. Moreover I'll pass 9 million lifetime AAdvantage miles when the programs integrate.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:22 am

Programs: A few
Well let's talk about the elephant in the room....

.... I think it's safe to say that the US Grand Slam is officially extinct.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by jsieds
Now for the glass half full...AA has many more options for using miles. Spent a wonderful week in St. Maarteen on AA miles for hotel.
Yes, but that is under the AA system. You are about to enter the Twilight Zone (a.k.a. US Airways d.b.a. American Airlines)....

Lowest award seat availability of the majors....
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Buying Chairman Preferred for AA Status?

I've often thought of doing a mileage challenge to attain Plat on AA, but my work flights are too spaced out to make it practical. What do you folks think the possibility would be, if I purchase Chairman Preferred status on US, of getting AA to match it, or transfer it, in the post-merger future? I realize that the merger could take years to complete, but I expect that changes allowing US and AA customers to take advantage of each others programs will come rather quickly.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:51 am

OK, a few thoughts: This may be a pipe dream, but what are the chances of requesting a "status match" with AA now? I have done so in the past with success with DL, seems like a no-brainer since I have US status, but have "0" with AA. I doubt they would consider it however.

Next: I haven't seen much talk about clubs/lounges, when UA and CO merged, the new UA took on most of CO's lounge policies, and will the new AA likely do the same? (free spirits, etc.) AA's pricing is higher, but they do allow for purchase with miles.

Finally, on International travel, I am curious on thoughts about how routes would integrate. i.e., I fly PHL-IST, if AA routes are used I need to go to LHR on BA or through ORD on AA; US takes me to FRA or MUC, but then I would be stuck there because TK and LH are not One World. Just wondering, I know it is early....
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:54 am

Programs: Free Agent
Here's my take glass-half-full take on things as a GP who uses his own money to fly for pleasure.

With DL I would probably make Gold, but would have to guarantee a $5k spend per year per their new system. Since I fly leisure and discount fares, I may not make this. Upgrades aren't as plentiful on DL, but I might get a handful for free. Network works for me, but Skymiles are hard to redeem and devalued.

With UA...unlimited upgrades but from reading the forum over there, they're impossible to get (or are sold to the highest bidder). Advantage is *A and E+. Personally, their network doesn't work for me, based in Florida.

With AA, best case is unlimited upgrades (diminshing somewhat because of reduced capacity); worst case is AA's sticker system, which at least gives some sense of guarantee to upgrades. Upside is that it's still a lot of US's great front line. Downside is that I'm not sold on OW.

So...given that I've accepted that my 90% upgrade percentage in the front is a thing of the past, I'm not certain that AA will be the worst thing ever.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:57 am

Programs: AA Gold SPG Gold HHonors Gold
When will we be able to fly AA and get credit on US DM? Trying to go to ppt or bob for my honeymoon in November.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: US Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
I have mostly flown US Airways out of CHS. This allowed the option of flying UA and still getting US miles and segments. Now that it appears the Star Alliance option is going, I will have to reconsider also. A big issue for me is the cost. AA is consistently a pricey option out of CHS, where US is usually one of the cheapest for me. I am wondering where the combined airline will end up with the reduction in competition.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by ElCid79
Opinions needed!!
I am avery frequent traveler on USAir. 195 legs last year based in CLT. Moving to CHS and wondering whether to stick it out with new American or jump ship to Delta with a status match. Thoughts?

Thank you!

There is insufficient information available at this time to provide an opinion. Sorry, but you'll read that a lot until we know more about the new company.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:09 am

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
Anyone: Help with an award question.

A friend and I were going to book a flight on various *A carriers later this year using our US miles. Do you think if we book it now for Dec (return Jan '14) it will be still be honored after this merger? We could book today.

Also, does anyone know if there's a Oneworld tool similar to the ANA tool for checking award availability.

Thanks very much!!!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:11 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
I will miss US in Star Alliance. As the No. 5 airline it had very good prices plus one can get Star elite miles. Now they will move to oneworld and only 4 major airlines will remain (Southwest, United, AA/US and Delta) + smaller airlines.

Hopefully they will still compete on prices, however evidence points to the other direction, even Southwest is not competitive any more.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.