Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:59 am

Really on the fence about whether to do a mileage run in the next few weeks to get back to Chairman. I guess we just have to wait and see.

The other big question for me is whether to try to put $25k on my USAirways card in early January in order to get 10k status miles on US.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
I'm hoping we see a new FF tier system like this that actually reward people who fly the mileage rather than buy up or are on some sort of promo enabled status. I'm not against that mind you, but the top-tier should be excluded.

25k- same benefits as US silver, but with current AA domestic upgrade rules

50k- same benefits as US gold but with current AA domestic upgrade rules

75k- same benefits as US plat but with current AA domestic upgrade rules

100k- same benefits as US CP with unlimited (free) domestic upgrades and 2 system wide upgrade certs like US CP get now

125k + rev- a new tier that cannot be gotten to any way other than actually flying and CC 10k bonus. No trials, no promos. Same benefits as current AA Ex-plat with unlimited domestic upgrades and 8 system-wide upgrades. Plus domestic lounge access like US offers it's 125k filers currently
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:18 am

Other key dates in this FAQ: http://www.usairways.com/en-US/about...wamerican.html

Including United Club access until March 30th.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Just received the following US version of the email from Kirby:

Dear <name>,
Today is a big day for American Airlines and US Airways.

Our merger has legally closed, which means we're taking an exciting step toward building the new American. We're combining to form a stronger airline with an extensive network, greater schedule options and a modern, fuel-efficient fleet.

It's important to note that there is no impact to any existing reservations you may have with American Airlines or US Airways at this time, and any mileage balance or elite status you have earned in either frequent flyer program is completely safe. You can continue to earn miles through existing Dividend Miles participating companies including the US Airways MasterCard and US Airways Visa credit cards and redeem those miles for the same great awards.

We'll continue to function as two separate airlines for quite some time and very few changes will happen immediately. For now, you won't see any changes to your travel experience as we will be focusing completely on delivering a superior operation during the busy holiday travel season. But beginning in early January, we'll announce exciting new benefits such as the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers and reciprocal lounge access.

We're excited to share that we plan to join the oneworld alliance on March 31, 2014, which means our Dividend Miles members can look forward to mileage earning and redemption opportunities, reciprocal elite benefits and lounge access on oneworld carriers.

We'll exit Star Alliance on March 30, 2014 and, as of today, we'll no longer offer codeshare flights for sale on United Airlines. Rest assured any reservations you may have with United Airlines and other Star Alliance partners are safe, and you'll continue to earn miles and receive benefits until that time. Learn more about our journey to oneworld, as well as new codeshare opportunities coming soon by visiting usairways.com/arriving.

Your continued loyalty is very important to us and we will be working hard in the coming weeks and months to deliver a world class travel experience. Look for additional communications from our new American team on these and other benefits headed your way. You also can stay up-to-date on the latest developments by following our social channels.

I'm excited to start this journey and look forward to building a stronger airline for you.

Sincerely,

Scott Kirby
President
American Airlines
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Please continue this discussion in the new American Advantage (Consolidated) forum. There are several threads on the major relevant topics, located here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated-733/

Thanks!

aztimm

Last edited by aztimm; Dec 10, 2013 at 6:55 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.