Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exit Row Seats on US (merged) [MASTER THREAD]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2012, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Exit Row Seats on US (merged) [MASTER THREAD]

Wondering if I do OLCI at T-24 if I can take an exit row seat.

I am *Silver if that counts for anything at all.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 5:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I believe exit row seats are available to non-US preferreds (any passenger flying whether they have status or not) for a fee at OLCI.

There's been stories of agents giving them away for free, but they aren't supposed to, and I'd consider it a gift if you happen to get one.

Otherwise, the Star Alliance Silver benefits can be found at the bottom of this page:
http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...silver-status/
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
I believe exit row seats are available to non-US preferreds (any passenger flying whether they have status or not) for a fee at OLCI.

There's been stories of agents giving them away for free, but they aren't supposed to, and I'd consider it a gift if you happen to get one.

Otherwise, the Star Alliance Silver benefits can be found at the bottom of this page:
http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...silver-status/
thx az

Correct. I did OLCI, and the exit row seats are $39 a pop. Not really worth it IMHO, even with my long legs to pay another $39 to sit in 22A when I am already in 23A
Old Dec 20, 2012, 5:59 am

Programs: CO-Plat/UA-1P, HHonors-Gold
Yeah, US shows about as much love to UA premiers as I imagine UA shows to US elites. Occasionally, a gate agent tosses a bone, but I wouldn't plan on that.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 2:38 pm

In comparison, as an AA Plat (equivalent to a US gold), I can tell you that at AA the low tier elites, the golds, DO get exit row access free at booking. As a Plat, I have no problem with that as it really does not seem to impact my own ability to get exit row seats, or the new Main Cabin Extra, for that matter. The same was true when I flew NW and was a Worldperks Gold; the silvers got exit row access and it really did not hurt my access as a gold to the exit rows.

AA's far superior ff program is a huge reason that we AA flyers want Darth Parker to keep his cotton pickin' hands off of our airline!
Old Dec 20, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Originally Posted by Carolinian
In comparison, as an AA Plat (equivalent to a US gold), I can tell you that at AA the low tier elites, the golds, DO get exit row access free at booking. As a Plat, I have no problem with that as it really does not seem to impact my own ability to get exit row seats, or the new Main Cabin Extra, for that matter. The same was true when I flew NW and was a Worldperks Gold; the silvers got exit row access and it really did not hurt my access as a gold to the exit rows.

AA's far superior ff program is a huge reason that we AA flyers want Darth Parker to keep his cotton pickin' hands off of our airline!
Preferreds at US also get exit row at booking. The original post was asking about *S on a different airline. OP is silver on UA and NOT US.

So if you want to do a true comparison as to availability of exit rows for all elites at time of booking between AA and US - the policies are identical.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by Carolinian

US elites at all levels can choose exit rows and certain other blocked "preferred" seats at booking or thereafter for free. The OP here is a Star Alliance Silver (http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...silver-status/), indicating Silver-level status on another Star carrier, but as indicated on the above link, preferred seating is not a published benefit of * Silver when flying other carriers in Star. Some will give it, but it's not something they have to. US and UA used to be nicer to each other's elites, and had a relationship prior to US entering Star, but these days they don't do much more beyond what they have to for * Silver and * Gold members.
Old May 15, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Rez'ing this thread.

I'm *S on Aegean. Last month I flew ORD-MYR r/t. Both times at OLCI, I got to pick exit rows for free.

I fly again next week so I can check this out, but maybe it changed? If it helps, I checked in on my iPhone of all places.
Old May 15, 2013, 6:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Star Alliance Silver - do I have access to exit row seating at OLCI

Within 24 hours it is a free for all. Check in early and grab good seats. Star Silver does nothing as far as seat assignments are concerned.
Old May 15, 2013, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The Internet is your friend. *A benefits by level are found here:

http://www.staralliance.com/en/
Old May 16, 2013, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by geo1005
Within 24 hours it is a free for all. Check in early and grab good seats. Star Silver does nothing as far as seat assignments are concerned.
No, that's not been true for the past few years! At OLCI within 24 hours, it still asks you to pay for exit row and preferred seats. However, if you don't have a seat assignment, it will usually assign you a seat out of the preferred inventory (but will NOT give you a choise). You just have to accept what it gives you.
Old May 16, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Not true. I was helping a friend check in two nights ago SAN-PHL-DTW. They wanted $49 at OLCI.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by formeraa
No, that's not been true for the past few years! At OLCI within 24 hours, it still asks you to pay for exit row and preferred seats.
Thanks for the updated info... good to know.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by BThumme
Not true. I was helping a friend check in two nights ago SAN-PHL-DTW. They wanted $49 at OLCI.
Sounds like they finally fixed the bug ^
(if UA is going to charge me for E+ or an exit row, it is only fair that US charge their elites for one)
Old May 16, 2013, 6:10 pm

Programs: I miss US Airways
Originally Posted by formeraa
No, that's not been true for the past few years! At OLCI within 24 hours, it still asks you to pay for exit row and preferred seats. However, if you don't have a seat assignment, it will usually assign you a seat out of the preferred inventory (but will NOT give you a choise). You just have to accept what it gives you.
Originally Posted by BThumme
While it may not be the case anymore (my data point is from December), I remember reading here once that seats are released for free at day of departure (so, midnight PHX time). I was up til 2AM Eastern anyway working on papers and the like, and I checked in, and exit row was free (I'm non-elite).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.