Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exit Row Seats on US (merged) [MASTER THREAD]

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2013, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by sbbutler93
While it may not be the case anymore (my data point is from December), I remember reading here once that seats are released for free at day of departure (so, midnight PHX time). I was up til 2AM Eastern anyway working on papers and the like, and I checked in, and exit row was free (I'm non-elite).
I may have to verify that. My T-24 check-in today was...interesting.

So I'm on a quasi-MR for status. Here's what I have booked (all times local)

Saturday, May 25
US 157 SAN-PHL (11am-713pm)
US 1406 PHL-BOS (815-928)
And
Sunday May 26
US 1983 BOS-CLT (5am-705am)
US 162 CLT-SAN (755am-941am)

At OLCI It let me check in for 157/1406 and 1983. Don't why exactly the 1983 flight, but okay. So I was NOT able to get a free exit row for 157 and 1983 (wanted $69 and $25). I WAS able to get a free exit row PHL-BOS.

That seems kind of odd? I'll check again at 11 pacific tonight, maybe/hopefully they open up.
Old May 25, 2013, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Well, I have no idea.

The seats still cost extra at 2 hours out. I spoke to the GA for my SAN-PHL flight and asked if she could put me into the exit row. She said she thought so, but then the computer said $65 (which was what it was at OLCI). She did say to see her right before boarding and was kind enought to just give it to me (overwrite I guess).

So I was able to OLCI for one exit row, but not three on my other fights. T-24 and same-day didn't change it. I guess. I have no idea why. Maybe it has to do with flight length? My ord-clt and clt-myr were both <2 hours. The PHL-Bos was also less than 2 and that's the only fight I could pick an exit row.

Just throwing it out there.
Old May 26, 2013, 7:45 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, AA Advantage
US Airways Exit Row seating Policy

I hope somebody hear can enlighten me on Exit Row seating Policies. I am not a status holder of any kind with *Alliance, and i am flying LGA-CLT-ATL tomorrow. At check in i was able to pick an exit row for LGA-CLT but it is trying to charge me or CLT-ATL. When i called US Air, they say it's normal for US Air to charge for exit rows. When i ask why i was able to pick for one leg of the journey for free they say it's a glitch.

I flew once before on US Air before and that time also i was able to get exit rows for free. What is their normal policy on these seats? I was able to only see info about choice seats on their site.
Old May 27, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: None
You have to go by the seat charts for your flights since exit row seats may or may not also be Choice seats. For segments where exit row seats are NOT choice seats you can pick them in advance although the usual restrictions on who can sit in exit rows still applies. If the exit row IS Choice seats, you pay the fee to pick those seats (waived for US elites) and the normal exit row restrictions still apply.

Jim
Old May 27, 2013, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by vpat48
I hope somebody hear can enlighten me on Exit Row seating Policies. I am not a status holder of any kind with *Alliance, and i am flying LGA-CLT-ATL tomorrow. At check in i was able to pick an exit row for LGA-CLT but it is trying to charge me or CLT-ATL. When i called US Air, they say it's normal for US Air to charge for exit rows. When i ask why i was able to pick for one leg of the journey for free they say it's a glitch.

I flew once before on US Air before and that time also i was able to get exit rows for free. What is their normal policy on these seats? I was able to only see info about choice seats on their site.
A number of non-status colleagues are having this issue sporadically. Normally, they're able to select any remaining exit seats within 24 hours of departure, however on some flights they want to charge for them. No triggering pattern is obvious - one was able to get an exit seat on TPA-DCA but not DCA-PIT.

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
You have to go by the seat charts for your flights since exit row seats may or may not also be Choice seats. For segments where exit row seats are NOT choice seats you can pick them in advance although the usual restrictions on who can sit in exit rows still applies. If the exit row IS Choice seats, you pay the fee to pick those seats (waived for US elites) and the normal exit row restrictions still apply.
That they are assigning exit rows on some flights as Choice Seats may be the answer, but it certainly is unpredictable. I think there's some kind of IT glitch in here somewhere, but what the intended policy for a non-status passenger is I'm not clear on either.
Old May 27, 2013, 9:34 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, AA Advantage
Just finished my journey and it does seem to be some kind of glitch. Because the seat i had on the A321 for LGA-CLT (10A) definitely had to have been a choice seat because it had the best leg room on the plane. I even asked at the gate for the second leg and they were still trying to charge me. Didn't make sense paying for a 35 minute flight.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:19 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Charging (non-Preferreds) for exit rows?

This week I helped a non-Preferred relative who was flying US Airways. I checked the relative in online at 24 hours prior to departure and was able to get a good exit row seat for the relative.

On the return, the relative's first segment was with United and so I couldn't check the relative in. I called US to see about getting an exit row and was told differing stories, "we can't do it by phone; it's under airport control" and "that can be done just on the day of departure".

At the airport, my relative was told by the gate agent that there was a $64 charge to sit in an exit row.

Curious: does US now treat exit rows as "Choice Seats", with a fee to sit in them? If so, only for non-Preferreds?

Thanks.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Charging (non-Preferreds) for exit rows?

Preferred members can book them in advance for free... I'm not sure if a non-preferred can pay in advance... Anyone???
Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
What I'm confused by as well is the inconsistency: I was able to book an exit row seat for a non-Preferred (for free) when checking in online 24 hours before departure for one flight. On the other flight, the exit row seat was available only at the airport, for a fee.

I always book an exit row when booking a ticket and have never seen one as a Choice Seat or whatever; I'm Preferred.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 8:36 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Just checked my wife in. General member, no status. I was able to pick an exit row seat for her without fee....

Awesome
FDW
Old Jul 27, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I just booked Phl-Tlv. I have preferred status. When I went to choose an exit row seat, the seating chart did not even have the exit row on the map. It skipped from row 22 to row 24. This was the second time in two days as it occurred when I booked a Phl-Fra flight the day before. I called and was told this meant they were not available for booking. I have never had this occur before, even on the same flight. BTW both were Airbus. Can anyone explain to me why it is not even visible on the chart and whether the exit row will become available for preferreds prior to date of flight?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
I'm confused by the exit row selection behavior/fees. I can select exit row seats for free at 24hr out, but then I can try a few hours later to change my seat again and then the website tries to charge for exit row seats. I'm seeing this both on short-haul and transcon flights. I have no status on US but do have the credit card.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:47 am

Got offered an exit row at no cost at OLCI at T-24 on a CRJ200 - never flown US before that, had absolutely zero status. I was happy until I boarded the aircraft and saw that exit rows on a CRJ don't have any noticeable more leg room than the rest of the seats.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by t325
Got offered an exit row at no cost at OLCI at T-24 on a CRJ200 - never flown US before that, had absolutely zero status. I was happy until I boarded the aircraft and saw that exit rows on a CRJ don't have any noticeable more leg room than the rest of the seats.
Row 8 on these has perhaps an inch of extra legroom. The chief advantage is that row 7 can't recline into you.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 11:41 pm

Programs: WFBF
On the CR2 I actually prefer not to be in the exit row window; it feels like it has less width due to the exit door. Which just proves the old adage that there's no such thing as a good seat on a CR2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.