Wiki Posts
Search

Death in the family

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways - Platinum
Death in the family

I booked award travel for my wife and daughter to visit her family. However, my father passed away and I need to change their flight to depart a day or two later. I called Dividend Miles, and they need to charge me $150 per passenger to change the flight. The associate indicated that customer relations can refund the $300 with documentation of the death, but it is not guaranteed.

Does anyone have any advice on how to request the refund through customer relations? I really do not want to fight with US Airways, because I did not ask for the refund appropriately.

Kind Regards.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I'm sorry for your loss and I know dealing with things like this at the time of a death is a pain, is stressful and can be uncomfortable.

When contacting US Airways (or any business for that matter) asking for a refund of this type, you want to make sure you stick to the facts. Even though I'm sure this is a bad time for you, in a business e-mail don't put things like "my life is now turned upside down" or things that might be more emotional responses. You just want plain simple facts of how the death caused you to miss the flight due to the funeral, etc. Also, I think it's good to state that you know you are not legally entitled to the refund, but it is something you're hoping that they can provide as a company that knows how to provide great customer service. Also, if you're a frequent flier who'll fly them again within the next year anyway, you may want to mention you'd be willing to take a voucher instead of a refund, as they are more apt to provide this and it is the same as cash if you'll be flying the airline within a year anyway.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:54 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/contact/refund_info.html
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I'm sorry for your loss.

You can request a refund at this email address: [email protected]

Like the others said, stick to the facts and try to keep emotion out of it. If you have status with them, mention it and provide your DM number. Be sure to attach any supporting documentation like a copy of a death certificate, ticket numbers, any other emails from US CS, etc. The more documentation you can provide, the more likely they will be to bend the rules.

IME, US will generally do the right thing as they do a good job of taking care of their customers. However, to get them to do that, you need to have your ducks in a row and give them supporting documentation to see you're not blowing smoke.

Good luck!

Super
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways - Platinum
I plan on writing a very short concise email with just the facts. I'm just nervous that they may decline the refund. One of the customer service associates indicated that the refund is only applicable if I am already traveling and I need to return early to attend a funeral. The associate indicated that I may be denied the refund because I need to delay my trip to attend the funeral.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 2:01 pm

Agree with the all the advice given. Short and sweet and to the point. Providing the documentation your chances are very good to excellent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.