Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: What's the latest with "new" Rows 22-23 on the LUS A321?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2012, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt

I recently booked two rt's: PHL-LAX and PHL-SFO. Three of my flights are on the A321. Rows 22 and 23 are not bookable. I called US and spoke to an agent, and she confirmed this.

I know that US is planning to add four seats in front of the original Row 22 (which will be known as Row 23) -- but the seat maps on my flights don't reflect this change. Does anyone know how this change is progressing? I'd imagine the seat-map blocking is being implemented because some -- but not all -- A321's have been reconfigured, so US can't know which configuration I have until closer to the departure date.

Has anyone flown on an A321 with the "new" Row 22? Do the new Row 22 seats still have extra legroom -- or are they "sucker" exit-row seats, just like seats 10D and 10E presently are on the A321?

Also, how close to departure does US publish the accurate seat map?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:09 am
Original Poster

I should add that some A321 seat maps this week are showing the new configuration -- so those four new coach seats are definitely in the air on some A321's already.

Last edited by tommyleo; Nov 13, 2012 at 11:32 am
Old Nov 13, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
I believe only new deliveries have the different layout so far - flew on a week old A321 on TPA-PHL a few weeks ago, but I was in row 2 and didn't venture back.

The coach seatmap, oddly, didn't show any rear exit row.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Here's some good info for many of you. I noticed that Row 22 had been showing up as completely occupied two weeks out, when I booked a PHL-SFO flight for 11/23. But I found out that was just a "block" put there by US since it was still unknown if the A321 would have the new configuration. Today -- two days before my flight -- the actual seat map was released. It's the old configuration -- and all six seats of Row 22 show up as unoccupied.

The takeaway is this: if you couldn't find your favorite A321 exit-row seat when you booked your flight and Row 22 appeared to be completely booked at the time, watch the seat maps 2-3 days before departure. At that time, Row 22 may be released in its entirety (if it's still the old configuration).
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by tommyleo
Here's some good info for many of you. I noticed that Row 22 had been showing up as completely occupied two weeks out, when I booked a PHL-SFO flight for 11/23. But I found out that was just a "block" put there by US since it was still unknown if the A321 would have the new configuration. Today -- two days before my flight -- the actual seat map was released. It's the old configuration -- and all six seats of Row 22 show up as unoccupied.

The takeaway is this: if you couldn't find your favorite A321 exit-row seat when you booked your flight and Row 22 appeared to be completely booked at the time, watch the seat maps 2-3 days before departure. At that time, Row 22 may be released in its entirety (if it's still the old configuration).
That was my experience flying between PHL and PHX a few times recently. Late seat releases got me 22F and the underseat storage 9 feet away under 21F. I assume the new row 23 will become the exit row?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ludocdoc
That was my experience flying between PHL and PHX a few times recently. Late seat releases got me 22F and the underseat storage 9 feet away under 21F. I assume the new row 23 will become the exit row?
I believe they are adding four seat in front of what today is still Row 22. So the new row will likely still be "Row 22" -- but I do not yet know if there will be extra legroom in the new Row 22. That said, the post-configuration Row 23 will still have seats A and F with the same legroom as Row 22 A and F have now.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 8:06 am

A321 4 extra seats?

I heard an FA say that the A321's are geting 4 extra seats?
Is this a new seat configuration that is adding 4 extra or are the just filling on the exit rows window seat holes? I love getting behind those rows without seats......
Old Dec 13, 2012, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Yes, changes are coming. See this thread for more details.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 8:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
The A321 I was on Sunday, PHL-PHX had the extra seats near the mid-cabin lav. Looked very cramped.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
The A321 I was on Sunday, PHL-PHX had the extra seats near the mid-cabin lav. Looked very cramped.
SAN-PHL had them on Sunday. Didn't check Thursday's flights.

While they look more cramped than row 10, it's certainly better than most rows in the back.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EP, SPG Ambassador (lifetime plat)
A321 with extra exit rows

So I've read a few threads with the new US Exit rows 22/23.

I can't find any information as to which seat to choose -- is 22 now cramped and 23A/F are the ones to get?? Any photos?

I'd greatly appreciate any insight...

Last edited by azoomee; Jan 12, 2013 at 9:51 am
Old Jan 12, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold SPG Gold HHonors Gold
use SeatGuru
Old Jan 12, 2013, 1:17 pm

Seat guru does not have the new configuration in their database yet. I'm hoping someone here may have experience with this new config?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 1:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by azoomee
Seat guru does not have the new configuration in their database yet. I'm hoping someone here may have experience with this new config?
I think row 9 is still the same? It was the last time I was on one of these aircraft.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 1:26 pm

Yes, they added 4 more seats - added a row 22 - now 22 and 23 are exit rows compared to just 22 before. Question is around legroom on 22 and 23 now, is it compressed or do certain seats still have legroom ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.