Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does US block first row of First??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ejote
Even if 1A is the only F seat left for assignment, my experience (today) is that they will not release it until 24 hours out. I don't know whether this is a change, recent or otherwise.
True. My wife and I were upgraded last week at T-7d (surprisingly when it was F2) and I could not select seats online. I called the CP desk and she said that she could not assign the seats but at T-24h we would be put into 1A/1C. Sure enough, when I did OLCI, we were in 1A/1C. The CP rep did warn me that in the rare instance that a handicapped person in F needed the seat, he/she would have priority.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, US CP
Originally Posted by apeortdz
True. My wife and I were upgraded last week at T-7d (surprisingly when it was F2) and I could not select seats online. I called the CP desk and she said that she could not assign the seats but at T-24h we would be put into 1A/1C. Sure enough, when I did OLCI, we were in 1A/1C. The CP rep did warn me that in the rare instance that a handicapped person in F needed the seat, he/she would have priority.
How would that work exactly? I assume that, as the person without a seat, I would be reassigned to somewhere in coach . . . but that doesn't seem fair because (1) I'm sure that the excellent seat that I had would be gone, perhaps with nothing left but middle seats; and (2) the other seats could be held (depending on the timing of booking) by lower-level elites on upgrades. Would there be downgrade compensation? Does that depend on whether the F (non-)seat was obtained by upgrade or purchase?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:14 pm

How would that work exactly? I assume that, as the person without a seat, I would be reassigned to somewhere in coach . . . but that doesn't seem fair because (1) I'm sure that the excellent seat that I had would be gone, perhaps with nothing left but middle seats; and (2) the other seats could be held (depending on the timing of booking) by lower-level elites on upgrades. Would there be downgrade compensation? Does that depend on whether the F (non-)seat was obtained by upgrade or purchase?
Good question and I don't know thw answer but I had an iota of worry about that. I imagined we would end up in 22B and 23E, which would be horrible given that I selected 5B/5C when I bought the tickets.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 5:56 pm

Programs: None
How would that work exactly?
US doesn't generally oversell F so even if someone in F did need to be in row 1 due to a handicap their F seat would open up.

Your only real risk is if enough handicapped people were on the flight that the row 1 seats in F would be needed to accommodate all of them. But coach handicapped seats would be utilized first for those seated in coach with handicaps.

Jim
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:40 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
How would that work exactly?
It would be in the same cabin. Should a F class pax be disable and require the bulkhead for easy ingress/egress we would just switch their F class seat for yours. It is rare, in 11 years I can count on both hands how often I'd had to switch pax for this reason.

Honestly the most common seat- switching issue that happens is someone with a cabin pet in the bulkhead.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Choice Gold, Hilton Diamond, US CP
Even if 1A is the only F seat left for assignment, my experience (today) is that they will not release it until 24 hours out. I don't know whether this is a change, recent or otherwise.
They will release it at anytime if its the only seat assignment left. Even the website will do that as well. Do you know for sure that 1A was the only thing left?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by whytravelsomuch
They will release it at anytime if its the only seat assignment left. Even the website will do that as well. Do you know for sure that 1A was the only thing left?
Yep. It was F2 and the CP angel said only 1A/1C were left but she could not assign them.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by apeortdz
Yep. It was F2 and the CP angel said only 1A/1C were left but she could not assign them.
You probably didnt have a CP agent. I've had them do it for me as recently as two days ago.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by whytravelsomuch
Yes, from both KVS and the agent. (The Web site was no help, either.) No clue whether it was a CP agent -- I've had rather bad luck getting them recently, for some reason. Either way, I suspect it will be okay so long as F is not oversold.

Just to be clear, do you mean the last seat in F or the last on the plane? It is still something like Y6, but F0.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred
So, how do the row 1 blocked seats work in terms of upgrades. For example, I am flying on Friday. At T-8, KVS was showing F4. At T-7, it is now down to F2, with seats 1A and 1D blocked. I guess there was either a chairman with a companion or 2 chairmen who had more miles than me (since I am chairman). Anyway, what happens if US decides to keep both seats blocked until 24 hour mark? Do the unblocked seats go to preferred based upon status, or if a silver checks in before a chairman can the silver get the upgrade?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by finster869
So, how do the row 1 blocked seats work in terms of upgrades. For example, I am flying on Friday. At T-8, KVS was showing F4. At T-7, it is now down to F2, with seats 1A and 1D blocked. I guess there was either a chairman with a companion or 2 chairmen who had more miles than me (since I am chairman). Anyway, what happens if US decides to keep both seats blocked until 24 hour mark? Do the unblocked seats go to preferred based upon status, or if a silver checks in before a chairman can the silver get the upgrade?
I don't think blocking matters. On my last fight where this was an issue, I booked a T-2 with F2, but 1A blocked. On the next upgrade sweep, it went to F0, my upgrade cleared, and all seats were gone but 1A. So I apparently got the upgrade even though I or the other upgradee (who was a little faster at seat selection) would have to sit in a seat that was blocked at the time. The CS folks say that I'm tentatively assigned to the seat, or something like that, and will get it at T-24h, which has actually just passed .... I wonder?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by finster869
In your case seat blocking and upgrade availability are two different, unrelated things. Seats can be blocked for advance assignment on a seat map but that does not at all affect the availability of the flight or upgrade processing. Chances are those last two seats in F if they dont get sold will probably go to whomever is next on the upgrade list at 2 days out. If they dont, then its a game who is first to check in and grab the first class seat.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:27 am

Whay are 3 seats blocked in First Class on my flight?

I wish to purchase a first class seat on my flight, but it is sold out with 3 seats blocked. I know they block one for a pilot. (I believe they have to due to it being a 4 hour flight,) but why are 3 seats blocked? The reservations agents have no explanation.
04/07/13 2:40 PM
LIR to CLT
US 1858 in First
Old Jan 28, 2013, 5:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bosco
I wish to purchase a first class seat on my flight, but it is sold out with 3 seats blocked. I know they block one for a pilot. (I believe they have to due to it being a 4 hour flight,) but why are 3 seats blocked? The reservations agents have no explanation.
04/07/13 2:40 PM
LIR to CLT
US 1858 in First
If its sold out, its sold out. Seat blocking has no affect on availability. Seats that are blocked just mean that they are not available for advance assignment unless you are qualified to get the seat in advance such as being a preferred member or are disabled. Also, pilots dont get rest seats on 4 hour flights.

The flight you want is in fact sold out in first class.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Which seats are blocked? 1A and 1D? I was upgraded for tomorrow's trip to TPA and at T-3 days was issued 1D as my seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.